CDX reverse engineering

Guest rasteri

• 4 months later...

I still have a CDX in the loft which seems to be in a non-working state. Last I remember I drunkely switched the red switch on the back that goes between different voltages (still to this day do not realise why I did that) so possibly something fried. It still spins around but alas there is no sound. Maybe I'll dig it out and check.

Did this project go anywhere or is it now scrapped - Sorry skipped a few pages :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

just gotted a dead Numark CDX and started do disasamble it and attempt to fix it and I have some impressions.

The specs for this tool are/was OK but it is a low cost build.

They didn't use, for example, quality capacitors and for this reason, after a period of time, some of them are shorting some circuits.

In my CDX I found a IC Stabiliser exploded, a rectifier and a NPN tranzistor and, the laser unit.

I replaced all of these and it works but sometimes it skips OEM CD. I tried to replace only the laser, and it didn't worked, I bought a new OEM laser unit with the Servo motors and it worked but hardly, and the reason for this is that the laser (Kss213c)that I bought from internet wasn't a OEM part.

After that, I went to a scrap center and bought from there a micro Hi Fi system, A Grunding Cirflex, and a Sony cd player CDP Xe200 which uses the same laser as CDX use but . I swamped the LSU unit and now, the CDX works fine and I made that choice because that was the only way to get a working original Sony laser.

The other problem is that, the supply voltage for this player is not well filtered, and this causes some freezing of the unit, some "auto cue" because when it skips the disc, it will replay a randomly part of the song until the lens gets on the CD track again and will continue to play from where it was "stuck".

I will try with an oscilo in the future to diagnose the unit and I will tell you what to check in case you need to repair these units. Also, similar hardware you will find also in other brands equipment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

When i came across this post i was so excited to bring new life into my CDXs, as it's still way more fun playing them out instead of beat matching with pioneer gear... 😉 Thanks to milo i now know how to maintenance the motor and while doing this i'm planning on swapping the cd drive cable by soldering the scsci cable directly to the mainboard. Does it really solve the CD slot issues with CD in / CD out reliable? I mean is it noticeable doing this extra work to the devices? Back in the days i did the tape fix, but still have fluky drives from time to time... What i'm even more interested in is, if someone ever tried to replace the cd drive with those scsi hard drive emulator mentioned in here earlier? Maybe it would also be possible to add HDX prepared hdd instead of cd drive and the upgrade to hdx firmware somehow? i know it's most probably wishful thinking, as hdx firmware may check for other components besides hdx prepared hdd... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all I’ve been reading with interest on this just picked up a pair of cdxs and have a issue with a stiff platter and or grease that is old and dried. When putting through a computer using traktor and virtual dj the pitch fluctuates constantly here’s a link of what happens

so it says that you take apart the motor and remove the old grease and then regrease I’ve got the motor out but have no idea how to split the motor any ideas ? For some reason I can’t reply back on the YouTube video and the link to a Google + doesn’t work

thanks for any help in advance 

so i stripped the direct drive motor to pieces cleaned the original grease off and replaced with anti fling ptfe grease the bottom picture shows the holes for 2 allen key grub screws. Since cleaning out the motor i get zero pitch flutter one of the decks now wants to hold on to the cd so im gonna strip the cd drive apart and look at that next

the motor i get zero pitch flutter one of the decks now wants to hold on to the cd so im gonna strip the cd drive apart and look at that next

id like to thank dj milo from the video 8 years after posting the video he still helps!!!

motor.jpg.696160fc9bce2308268e36b454e76c23.jpg261006083_cdxpics.jpg.d0d3cf95e0d38efdab72985a0b97f3b9.jpgtickes.jpg.f5e235993092eb20fdc6bec9b8826ef2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 6:53 PM, Markhays said:

"one of the decks now wants to hold on to the cd so im gonna strip the cd drive apart and look at that next"

soooo turns out i never plugged the eject button cable in properly this cable also does operates the break/slow down ,start up and the play buttons pushed it in and it worked

On 1/16/2022 at 6:53 PM, Markhays said:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I've been fascinated by the interest in this wonderful player. If I can help you, do not hesitate to ask me. I have a problem with the reader that when I insert the cd it automatically ejects it without stopping to read it and I don't know what it could be. The idea of being able to convert it to read usb and hdd is a fascinating idea.

I solved this problem with the limit switch and now it reads the cdx without problems... but when I place the reader on the support to insert it into the cdx it ejects the cds. The only way to place it so that it reads the cds is without the support. When it has the support it ejects the cds and it doesn't have the strength to insert them all and when I remove it it works perfectly. Has anyone had this problem?

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-04 at 10.12.19.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome! Curious, as i just modded my devices replacing the whole cd drive connection with just the centronics cable to make the whole drive (especially searching in tracks) more stable and clean up/oil spindles. Btw you need more than one centronics cable to get all pins and bridges connected! Would love to finally add usb/sdcard support.

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

last week i bought a CDX 90 and i'm curious whether it has the latest update. When i look at the utility

version screen it says "C10.B58.S32.M14.P01".

I don't know if this is a software version or something else.

Can you help me out?

• 4 months later...

I have 2 cdx players. Both work but one has sticky start stop buttons and the other one is a little stiff when trying to scratch.  Any ideas on how to clean the switches?  I’m not a tech person so I’ll consider letting them go. I have an idj2 that I’m more partial to.  I’m in AZ if anyone is interested.  Louloc@att.net  Thanks!
louloc at att dot net

• 1 month later...

Hello.  Ive been fixated on the motorized platter and have since restored several SLDZ1200's and not Ive gotten a hold of three CDX's and wondering if and why i should be on the latest and also if anyone can share a copy of the firmware that'd be dope.  so i figured out that cd drive problem is at least for mine is the motors not being able to spin up to read and so regreasing them was all i had to do on mine.  and pro tips for running these are appreciated.  all the best yall