The "Lost Arcade" Documentary

Jam Burglar

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

God, arcades were so amazing. My and my mate would save up as much money as our tiny selves could in the summer holidays and have one or two days of going to Folkestone rotunda and spunk all the cash all day. It was so great, proper Stand By Me shit for me, excepting the dead kid's body natch.

Shame kid these days don't get to experience that sweet feeling.

Hey Dirk, when i was young we got the shit thing in the UK that loads (not all though) of arcades has slot machines in them, at least in the small arcades in small towns, so as soon as you tried to sneak in you'd get chucked out cos you needed to be 18 to go it them.

There are some thriving arcades in the U.S. these days but only in larger cities. I was at "Boxcar" bar-cade in Raleigh NC a few weeks back and it was packed. It wasn't just people drinking like at many of these barcades, people were all into the games. It was mostly old school games and mostly 20/30 something hipsters there playing but I took my 3-year-old son and there were a few other kids there. He was all over those Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games.

I've seen some Japanese arcade walk-troughs and they have shit that nobody else has. It's like the arcades there never died and kept evolving.

I love the NYC arcade in this doc though. That's how it used to be in the 80s.

That looks awesome. RIP arcades. We still got a few around but not like it used to be.

Not so soon... I'm gonna call it right now that VR arcades are gonna become a thing. One just opened up in my city and I was skeptical but decided to give it a shot and it's pretty damn fun, it seems like it's doing well too.

Thinking about it, it kinda makes sense too where the average casual gamer (and even some hardcore ones) can't really afford a full VR setup, let alone one they can play with friends, so it's sort of the same reasons that I think regular arcades flourished at one point... Technology wasn't at the point where quality gaming was cheap and accessible to the masses. So I think until the price of VR stuff goes way down and multiplayer home VR becomes really accessible VR arcades are gonna be a thing. Of course eventually it WILL become cheap and accessible but for now not many people are investing in 4 x PCs, headsets, controllers to play with their friends.

• Like 1