BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Overused Samples Pt.2 (Can you still flip James?)

DJ Rock Well

Well... I tried to share the deep crate unknown gems with you guys, but like a drunk auntie on a hen do, you want what you already know! :d

Then this record turned up at work today and it just makes sense. So, can you still flip James? In this case, his classic '73 OST "Black Caesar". I know it's not the most sampled James LP, but it's still been used a lot and it's that classic JB's sound it's representing here as much as anything... If you're talking about most sampled artists, you have to start with James Brown.

Obviously, there's plenty to play with on here and I'm keen to see how people approach this one because it's such a well known sound. It'll be interesting to see if the votes swing towards the beats that celebrate that sound or ones that intentionally veer away from it.

The wavs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/00skixzw3wcr2m3/Black%20Caesar%20Samples.zip?dl=0

As usual, the only rule is that you have to sample at least one sound from the audio files provided above. You can add any other sounds, samples, instruments, cuts, vocals, etc. The final result can be any style, medium or genre you like.

Post up your entries in the comments of this thread.

Deadline for entries will be the end of Friday, September the 2nd.

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Holy Fuck, I've got goosebumps I'm that excited!!!!!!!!!!!!! Black Caesar is one of my favortite OST :d

I'm dancing around now while its on the download

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

classic OST that made a pretty lame film good. I got pretty obsessed with blaxploitation when my dad got cable and we had turner classic movies, they seemed to play these movies every night a 4 am for ages. so many classics

• Like 1

Soooooooooooooooooooooo tempted

Do it Mike ! :d

seriously the more peeps get involved with this thread the better in my opinion

Rock - consider me in on this battle and thats another great selection btw

• Like 2

Haven't really got time to enter this month, had an hour before work, so i fucked this together, still just on Airbook speakers, so the mix is gonna be horrific (Especially on this) but screw it, it made my fat ass shake hahaha

• Like 2

I tried and failed twice yesterday...

Out of desperation to use a bit that hadn't been used before, or at least in a different way, I made something totally awful.

And that was after I chosen the bit I liked best on the record, the intro to 'White Lightning' (third track, second side). My first thought was to pitch it down some, about 7 semitones seems good... Then much to my surprise, what I had was a kick and snare short of my favourite beat on the most recent ZaLooper looper that we've thoroughly rinsed down at th studio!!!

• Like 1

I tried and failed twice yesterday...

Out of desperation to use a bit that hadn't been used before, or at least in a different way, I made something totally awful.

And that was after I chosen the bit I liked best on the record, the intro to 'White Lightning' (third track, second side). My first thought was to pitch it down some, about 7 semitones seems good... Then much to my surprise, what I had was a kick and snare short of my favourite beat on the most recent ZaLooper looper that we've thoroughly rinsed down at th studio!!!

Fuck, that's the bit I used! I pitched it down some too lol. I'm ashamed to say I've never heard the beat on zalooper though. I'm bit worried now.

• Like 1

Ive been doing mine "live" on the SP 404 straight to Mini Disc as ive no laptop til the weekend

then ill just make a straight copy of the recording for Soundcloud ,so far im pretty pleased with what ive arranged and was having a listen back yesterday evening and thought something was missing and then i realized what it was ...

there wasnt a James Brown sample in it yet , id actually forgotten about that bit hehe

You've gotta love Jabo Starks

he rocks it for sure..

He's no Clyde Stubblefield mind or Earl Palmer either for that matter ,if i'd been JB then Earl's the one i would have wanted on every recording session ,the man was a fucking monster on the skins ,i remember the first time i heard him with Carol Kaye as the rhythm section on those Axelrod records and practically coming in my pants..just outrageous chops all round

Yeah, Earl's the man! He was first choice for so many sessions for most of the 50s and 60s.

That said, I'm glad James picked up Clyde as a daring youngster. It was that kind of move that kept James fresh, much like what happened when he picked up Catfish and Bootsy. Sure, James generally did it because he could pay them less and/or he pushed his existing band to breaking point, but history wouldn't have been that same any other way.

• Like 1

Theres a great story about Earl Palmer playing with some idiot Rock band in the 1990s who needed a drummer for a recording session in LA

Earl got the call and went along to the session ,when he arrived the dumbfuck guitarist looked him up and down and said something like " you gonna be ok playing this sort of stuff old man " ?

to which EP scornfully replied "are you fucking joking with me boy im the one who invented this goddam shit in the first place"....Hahaha fucking dicks