The Get Down (Netflix Original Series)

djdiggla

Started watching last night. It's pretty cool. Great stylistically. It kinda reminds me of Scott Pilgrim vs The World crossed with The Warriors.

https://youtu.be/usv442G6H8A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Get_Down

I saw the trailer. I was hoping it was going to be like a true story of the origins of Hip Hop (like the Hip Hop Family Tree comics) but after watching the trailer it looks more like some sort of historically based fiction/drama. Will I watch it, hell yes! I'm hoping they keep in some scenes with Bambaaata molesting everyone and dusted out Russel Simmons.

• Like 1

If you're looking for a factual semi-documentary you will be seriously disappointed. It's more fiction than truth and filmed as a quazi-superhero/kung-fu flick. I thought it was fun and a fresh take. People looking to movies and tv shows for history lesson need to pull their head out cause that's not what fiction (or creative-nonfiction as the case would be) is going to give you.

• Like 2

Watched all six episodes this weekend and really enjoyed it even if it has got Jaden Smith in it! Hip hop history 101 it ain't by any stretch but an entertaining story none the less. I saw a lot of bitching online about the show from hip hop heads for it not showing history correctly and my thoughts echo dirks in that if your watching tv shows as history lessons your seriously missing the point. There was some moaning about the record labels not matching the songs playing in certain scenes but pretty sure the non DJ people watching didn't notice and couldn't care less. Seeing as the actor probably can't beat juggle the music would have been added in post production anyway and perhaps couldn't gain permission to play the records used to film the scene.

The only part that annoyed me was the use of bad cgi to fake the graffiti writing.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

i just saw a couple of bits of episodes to be fair, but it seemed really cheesy, and like it was some sort of musical or something. like there was a bit where theyre all coming up with different parts of the same song over time as a montage (montaaaaage) that was pretty awful.

the point with not taking it as a history lesson is totally valid, except that they seemed to be trying so hard to make everything look authentic whilst totally romanticizing all sorts of shit.

and.... baz luhrmann

• Like 1