Stanton SA-5 Strange Sound From Power Supply?

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

So after about 30 minutes of use last night my Stanton SA-5 started to produce a weird cross between a loud buzzing/humming and clicking sound from the AC/AC adaptor (it sounded a bit like a Tesla coil to be honest). If I put my hand around the adaptor and give it a squeeze it stops buzzing for a while before doing it again. Being searching about the internet but as it uses some random weird circular 3-pin DIN plug I can't find a replacement online.

Does anyone know anywhere I can send it to be looked at and serviced? Or does anyone on DV have a unused SA-5 power supply laying about?

Thanks

Guest rasteri

Probably the transformer has rattled loose, all transformers buzz slightly but normally they're glued/screwed down so they don't make any noise. If you can get it open (which probably isn't possible without some violence) you can probably glue it down again.

I can (probably) repair it if you send it to me.

As regards replacements, as you say it uses a 3-pin DIN plug since it has a centre-tapped transformer. I know some front-of-house mixers by Soundcraft use power supplies with identical pinouts but I dunno which ones - I seem to remember Eric found one that works? Did I imagine that?

Just shot Focusrite an email as according to the Stanton website they carry spare parts so hopefully they might be able to help me source one. If not then thanks for the offer Rasteri, I will shoot you a pm and arrange for you to fix it mate :8

Eric's never found anything that works... Don't you read his posts of despair?!

Wait I'm confused here, do you mean for the SA-5 power supply or his penile disorder?

• 2 months later...

I forgot to update this thread, but just a heads up to anyone in the UK that is looking for a replacement PSU for the SA-5, unfortunately I purchased the last UK SA-5 PSU that Focusrite had in stock.

If your looking for one it might be worth giving one of the European spare part dealers a shout and seeing if they have a replacement to use with an EU to UK adaptor

http://www.stantondj.com/sales-info/worldwide-sales.html#72