SeratoDJ Help: How to change read/write permissions? (Mac)

djdiggla

Fired up the new machine and SeratoDJ is showing all the files as read only with the little padlock icon. How do I unlock it? They play but don't seem to be permanently saving my cue points. On Vestax VCI-380.

It's not as simple as turning protect library off is it? I've had this problem before and can't for the life of me remember what to do.

I used to have this problem with some files and they were locked as read-only, by default. I figured that these files were actually bought off a DJ-pool, so I guess the write-protection was some sort of policy.

I had to manually re-save each file on a new location and under a different name, but I guess this is not an option for a full library.

I haven't used serato in years but for the sake of trying to be helpful did you by any chance drag your library from a backup of the home folder on your old Mac? That may still have read only privileges on it for non admins, and you won't be admin on it unless you go into the folder info (apple-i on it in finder) and change the permissions at the bottom...

• Like 1

Yeah I think that's what happened. I mirrored over all my files and apps from my old laptop. So click on my music folder and then push apple button + I button? The Windoze user in me tried just right clicking and looking for folder preferences but wasn't coming up.

Shit,this digital DJ'ing malarkey sure sounds complicated and really troublesome to me.

It also seems like you've got to have the patience of a saint to deal with this stuff messing up without wanting to kick it to fucking bits which is unfortunately what i'd probably end up doing hahaha.

• Like 4

When it works it's great. When it doesn't....

Seems like the permissions change has fixed most of the files... some still being difficult but better than it was. Slow process though. Looks like I will have to eventually re-import some of them.

BTW for if anyone else has this issue--highlight the song in serato push control + r to open it in finder then apple+i to see info and edit. Thanks Chris!

• Like 1

I did that (as in went to the "music" folder which they are all in... I didn't put them in a new folder or anything. Mostly fixed the problem but still a few it didn't fix though... Maybe I need to restart the computer.

Shit,this digital DJ'ing malarkey sure sounds complicated and really troublesome to me.

It also seems like you've got to have the patience of a saint to deal with this stuff messing up without wanting to kick it to fucking bits which is unfortunately what i'd probably end up doing hahaha.

You're not wrong. It's all about file preparation and getting that right the first time - audio quality-wise, folder storage, cue points and loops - once that is done correctly, you start seeing the advantages of djing that way. But there are a lot of times when it can feel like a real ball ache and the benefits are outweighed by the complexity, particularly when you could just be wacking a record or cd on and mixing it.

• Like 1

The biggest upside to me is none of the music I want to be using is on record. But yes, sucks when it doesn't work right.