A note about embedding audio and video into posts on DV

Steve

There are now certain things that will automatically embed with their own player/viewer when a link is detected. Examples of this: -

YouTube videos

Direct links to MP3 files

SoundCloud links

MixCloud links

Vimeo videos

Google Video videos

Flickr image sets

All of these only work if you post the correct type of link, for instance, on YouTube when you watch a video, you will see a link like this in the address bar of your browser: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo84dWcl74k

But, under a YouTube video is a "Share" button and if you click that, you will get a link like this: -

http://youtu.be/Eo84dWcl74k

You must always post the link from the address bar of your browser (i.e. the first link in the above example) if you want the audio/video to embed. This is why some of you aren't getting YouTube vids to embed, because you are clicking that "Share" button and using that link. Copy and paste direct from the address bar and it'll work.

There may be times when you don't want something to automatically embed, for instance, an MP3 file. In that case, use code tags, for example: -

www.mywebsite.com/mymix.mp3

So to do that, just type the following, obviously removing the spaces I've had to add inside the tags to get this text to display correctly: -

[ code ]www.mywebsite.com/mymix.mp3[ /code ]

I hope that clarifies how embedding and linking works on DV. I prefer it this way, cos you can just copy and paste links and you're done, then use code tags if for some reason you don't want to embed.

• 4 months later...

I forgot to mention it, but I updated the code so that this kind of YouTube link also embeds automatically: -

http://youtu.be/Eo84dWcl74k

So you can now use the "Share" button on YouTube and use that link, or copy the link from the address bar of your browser.

• 1 year later...

The way this works has changed slightly.

The stuff that auto-embeds still auto-embeds as long as the link is in the correct format.

But if you want to post a straight up link for some reason, rather than have a player embed, you can use the Link button in the toolbar and paste the link into there. That will prevent it from embedding, so it just appears as a regular clickable link.

Clipboard02.jpg

• 1 month later...

Google have changed their embedded player so that it no longer has a play button on it. It's a bit confusing IMO, because at a glance it can make embedded videos look like images, for example: -

I thought I'd mention it in case you thought I'd changed something, but I have no control over it.