Numark PT01 vs Vestax Handy Trax

kebzer

Greetings mobile scratch heads!

I'm planning to go mobile too. So, which one is a better option? The Numark PT01 or the Vestax Handy Trax? Which one would you prefer for those trekking cuts?

Shape wise, I like the Numark more, cause it's smaller. But is the platter any good? Maybe the Vestax can take more abuse?

Also, I've seen the Numark PT - Touring, the one with the suitcase. Is the motor / tonearm the same as the PT01 or am I missing something? Why is it cheaper than the PT01?

Share your wisdom and save a brother some bucks! :ph34r:

Guest rasteri

I'm not sure about the difference between the PT-01 and the handytrax coz I've only ever used the pt-01.

We have a pt-01 touring in the shop, I'll have a play with it today when I get a chance.

Guest Symatic

theyre not far from each other.

the vestax feels a tiny bit more robust as the platter has metal bits, but honestly - think about what youre buying here, it's a plastic deck with a plastic tone arm - it's not gonna be like a technics or a vestax, they all sound pretty much equally shit :)

but the hifi / road ruggedness of these things is not something to really worry about - theyre toy decks, we're using them for the wrong reason cos theyre fun, but theres really nothing great either of them has over the other, once youve got your fader on there and a skipproof record you are set - just dont expect it to sound good in your headphones :)

in fact i can think of some slight differences -

Vestax has line in but you will prob add this with a raiden fader anyway.....

Vestax has a button where the tone arm sits so you can stop the platter, Numark the switch that does this is not accessible, the platter stops when you return the arm to its rest position.

Numark is easier to do the Ultrapitch trick on - this is just a case of finding a sweet spot between 33 and 45 on the selector and it goes slower.

All these issues can be sorted with pretty simple mods too......

No real first hand info here but my homie DJ Select has the Numark and he said he heard the Vestax was a little more stable. I've got a hanytrax but I've only ever used it for a digging table. I cut on Select's Numark and the real problem is the fader popping was too much. They need a Rane/Innofader style deal for these. I heard it's the the works.

I have the PT-01 and have tried the Handytrax.

Like you I like the shape of the PT and it has more space (depending on your style) to place your portable fader. The platter on the PT is good, you might need a little weight on the cart as I find it a bit skippy when doing harder cuts like stabs.

The Handy trax isn't really shaped best for a portable fader. There isn't much room to place a portable fader. But hands down the platter is a lot stronger than the PT and feels a better. This is subjective but from what others have gathered they would prefer the platter of the Handytrax.

The biggest issue when comparing these two is availability of said portables. PT's are still being made and aren't that expensive. Handytrax on the other hand, good luck finding one and at close to its retail price. You might be able to find them at smaller electronic/music stores that have no idea that they're discontinued or that there is a portable scratch boom. But last I checked online for a Handytrax you're looking over $3-$400.

Guest petesasqwax

I cut on Select's Numark and the real problem is the fader popping was too much. They need a Rane/Innofader style deal for these. I heard it's the the works.

<rasteri>maybe you heard right...</rasteri>

:ph34r:

Guys, thanks for all the replies! I guess I'll go for the Numark.

Now, the question is this: has the PT-Touring the same guts & performance as the PT01? I really like the idea of the suitcase, but the price difference troubles me, as I am not sure why the Touring is cheaper from the PT01. Any thoughts?

Guest rasteri

I cut on Select's Numark and the real problem is the fader popping was too much. They need a Rane/Innofader style deal for these. I heard it's the the works.

<rasteri>maybe you heard right...</rasteri>

:ph34r:

News soon...

Guest rasteri

They're literally the same product.

ION and Numark are part of the same umbrella company (Inmusic), along with Alesis, Akai, M-audio, Denon and some others I forget about. The group has quite a few duplicate products across its range, for example the Alesis IO2 is exactly the same as the M-audio M-track.

I bagged the i-on for £25 off eBay a couple of weeks back :)

Possibly got it for cheap because it's a bit more off people's radar compared to the pt, tbh I didn't know there was an I-on branded version until kut class mentioned it to me.

Sold my black handytraxx, was only a few months old so didn't really fancy modding it, plus ther shape and pcb board layout limits where a fader could be modded into the body.

Guest petesasqwax

Oooof - I totally didn't realise the I-on was the same product! I've been trawling eBay for cheap portables I can dismantle as a basis for the RasPi DVS hybrid... I shall add those to my search list!

On a side note - got my Raiden yesterday and had my first cut session on a PT-01. I was expecting that I would need to be gentle with it and that I'd find it a bit slippy or the belt drive would be an issue, but I was amazed to find that neither things are the case. The obvious thing to me was the effect that fitting the Raiden into a fader crib made. It's not just a novelty, but an actual viable setup. Using the fader crib is like having a micro mixer rather than just a fader. I was thinking: will it be possible to fit the internal fader into a fader crib?

Andy - I noticed on your version that there were a couple of wires that extrude from the unit to attached to the fader - would there be any reason why i couldn't fit those to some kind of port so that the fader could be attached to/detached from an external housing?

Guest rasteri

Andy - I noticed on your version that there were a couple of wires that extrude from the unit to attached to the fader - would there be any reason why i couldn't fit those to some kind of port so that the fader could be attached to/detached from an external housing?

No reason at all. Maybe use a 2-pin jack plug.

Guest petesasqwax

No reason at all. Maybe use a 2-pin jack plug.

Dopeness! I was hoping that was the case

Guest petesasqwax

I'm just thinking - what would be the difference between doing the fader mod and using a slightly different circuit to make a faderbox which wouldn't require you to mod the PT at all?

love the fader crib, such a good idea but one of the main reasons I sold my raidian setup was the faff and cables vs the rasteri fader mod = take lid off and cut. Having an all in one no set up required, place on lap/cut any where thang is what I desire from a porta rig.

The fader crib gets the raidien in a much preferred position but I'm not sure how useful the crib would be for my porta rig needs as when I'm most likely to do 7" cutting is when I'm outside and don't have a table/flat surface to set up on.

Soooo, I've been thinking along the lines of how to achieve what the fader crib does so well but make a more cut on lap friendly set up = a case jus big enough to house a proper fader which is hinged and bolted to the side of my portable deck. The fader will be in a more natural position when out/open hinged and then some kinda locking clip to hold it against the body of the TT for when in transit and yeah as Pete and Andy are discussing, maybe a couple of mini female jacks to connect the hinged fader box to the deck.