How long it takes to get good at scratching

ericuk

I'm not talking about rinsing the same combo for eight bars, but IMO the concept of repetition is important, it provides structure.

There's a Qbert vid where he talks about making your scraches "Rhyme", where you repeat the same rhythm every bar or half bar, but with slight variations.

Also if you fuck up, you can repeat your fuckup a half-bar later and it looks like you did it on purpose.

giphy.gif

Well that gif is doing nothing to help with the whole "Westwood's an HIV positive paedo" rumour

Well that gif is doing nothing to help with the whole "Westwood's an HIV positive paedo" rumour

Seriously,though, he does look a bit ill these days. He was always slim but now he looks unhealthily skinny.

Back to the main thread - The Fresherthans DMC routine for this year is a good example of the whole repetition thing. Obviously they aren't doing it to cover their mistakes though.

• Like 1

how long do you think it takes to 'get good'?

Oh,its only about 4 to 5 years or so, apparently... then you're allowed to have a massive diva tantrum, fall out with the entire scratch scene and retire ! :p

Guest petesasqwax

You're only allowed to retire officially. Behind closed doors you still develop insane shit, strictly whilst sitting on a drum stool

• Like 1

You're only allowed to retire officially. Behind closed doors you still develop insane shit, strictly whilst sitting on a drum stool

You should have seen the see-thru inflatable plastic armchair he started using temporarily when that drum stool finally fell to bits !.. :p

Guest petesasqwax

It's funny, as much as he taught be how to do open-fader cuts in the space of a cup of coffee, he also subliminally taught me that, if I couldn't cut whilst sitting on a stool, I couldn't cut ;)

• Like 1