Darcy. Loopy scratchy stuff.

Darcyd

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest Symatic

Dope layered cuts. I wonder if you could retrigger A and B takes on the foot pedal so you could vary the doubled up cuts between a verse and chorus section

• Like 1

You can always undo last overdub... multiple layers worth if the multiple layers were all the same take. You could also do 2 separate A/B chorus verse looping take and punch them in and out, but you'd have to do it in a very roundabout way. Traktor wasn't designed to specifically do that, so it's awkward. Dubba could rock it I bet. It'd involve dumping the loops you record into the remix decks and triggering those remix deck cells in and out. The hard part is syncing it all up on the fly because there's a bit of lag with some things in Traktor. Like triggering live loops in sync. There's a few other good workarounds tho. The effects bank also allows you to lay down an independent effect based loop (beat slicer/gater/etc etc), and that loop remains independent from the main group.

Thanks for the props boys! The loop recorder is dope, but has its limitations.

EDIT!!! Bam. Found a way to get it done. Sick. Ill post a video in future.

• Like 1

Yeah, my brain start ticking when I heard this. I like the idea of being able to remove a loop whenever you want, rather than being stuck with it for all eternity.

Nice work man!

This is why I picked up the Roland RC-50 back in the day. It has 3 independent loop banks that all run in sync so you can easily drop out a loop and add it back.

*The major drawback to the 50 is that when you record the very first loop, it does this thing where it drops the first note of your loop the first time it replays the loop. So, if you record drums on your first pass, after you hit the pedal to start the loop the first kick drum gets dropped (it comes back on the second loop). All other loops on all other banks record normal after that but it's a weird thing you have to work around

You could also do 2 separate A/B chorus verse looping take and punch them in and out, but you'd have to do it in a very roundabout way.

Yeah, you need to hold the pedal down for 2 seconds to undo, so it's a bit tricky.

*The major drawback to the 50 is that when you record the very first loop, it does this thing where it drops the first note of your loop the first time it replays the loop. So, if you record drums on your first pass, after you hit the pedal to start the loop the first kick drum gets dropped (it comes back on the second loop). All other loops on all other banks record normal after that but it's a weird thing you have to work around

That sounds like a pain. So you have to wait for two cycles to find out that you fucked up your loop? :)

I like to start with the snare on drum loops, especially when I'm cutting drums in a snare/kick format, so I would miss out on the first snare. Weird.

You could also do 2 separate A/B chorus verse looping take and punch them in and out, but you'd have to do it in a very roundabout way.

Yeah, you need to hold the pedal down for 2 seconds to undo, so it's a bit tricky.

That sounds like a pain. So you have to wait for two cycles to find out that you fucked up your loop? :)

I like to start with the snare on drum loops, especially when I'm cutting drums in a snare/kick format, so I would miss out on the first snare. Weird.

Haha. Basically, you just do an extra live kick drum to cover up the silent gap and then take it from there. But yeah, if the very first sound in your loop is a snare, then that would need the live "fill-in" immediately after you finish your loop.

It's been a while since I've dug out my 50 but I'm pretty sure they did a "fix" for this. The 50 runs on a grid to make setting loop points easier but unless you're using the built-in metronome, the grid is actually a hindrance. If I remember right, the "fix" to the silence-gap involves eliminating the ability to use the built in metronome to set your loop points but also removes the issue with the post-loop silence-gap.

Even with all of the above I still like the 50 for looping way more than the RC-20. After the 50 they put out the 300 which seemed be focused on adding efx and whatnot but also still had multiple banks for looping..

• Like 1