Vestax PMC 06 models - which is the best type to get?

I've always wanted one of these and know there are lots of different models - pro A, VCA, Samurai, etc. I'd like the silver VCA from a purely aesthetic point of view but is there much of a difference between any of them in terms of build quality or features?

Not really sure, just talking by memory... But maybe there is a way to make them work.

As far as I know the first 06 pro (silver) where full analog and these wasn't suitable for but maybe there is a workaround. Inno was only available for vca mixers... Are these vca perhaps?

About just cutting I will still recomend vca ones for sound quality due vca circuit itself which avoid the usual clicks and noises when the vestax fader starts to fail.

Edited by Mutis Mayfield

Guest rasteri

They came in 4 versions, the Pro/ProA/ProD/VCA. See : http://rasteri.com/wiki/PMC_Pro#06_Series

The original is rarer than hen's teeth and was pretty shit anyway. The best one is the VCA because it sounds (relatively) decent and has nicer EQs. The ProA is OK.

They ALL take an innofader except the ProD, I've installed them in quite a few.

Also I should add, the ProA actually has a VCA circuit, just not as high-quality a VCA as the ProVCA

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

the VCA actually has a headphone cue/master circuit built into it..... it just inst connected to a switch so you can't use it. vestax never added the switch because....... vestax.

the other models i THINK you can hack if youre clever but the VCA you can pretty much just add a switch.

heres a tutorial

http://www.brimstoneproductions.com/06_VCA_Mod.html#5

the lack of headphone controls on the 06 is kinda annoying to me cos i like to be able to switch to master and be able to hear my scratching over the beat when theres shitty monitors in the dj booth

They came in 4 versions, the Pro/ProA/ProD/VCA. See : http://rasteri.com/wiki/PMC_Pro#06_SeriesThe original is rarer than hen's teeth and was pretty shit anyway. The best one is the VCA because it sounds (relatively) decent and has nicer EQs. The ProA is OK.They ALL take an innofader except the ProD, I've installed them in quite a few.Also I should add, the ProA actually has a VCA circuit, just not as high-quality a VCA as the ProVCA

Thanks a lot for clarification, I had one of the first back in the day time before inno and I remember some issues but by memory ;)

Guest petesasqwax

Eric did the headphone cue mod on his 06A... so I suggest you don't have to be clever at all to do that (I mean, have you heard what happened to him in Thailand?)

No, I have not...

• Like 1

Eric did the headphone cue mod on his 06A... so I suggest you don't have to be clever at all to do that (I mean, have you heard what happened to him in Thailand?)

No, I have not...

I have a feeling that the imminent derailing of this thread will be worth it...

Samurai is a beast but maybe too much because they are still pricey.

I've seen one of these on Gumtree for £80. Looks like the major differences with this are the colour, the digital fader and the curve control on the top left of the mixer. Is there anything else?

ProX in an 06 Pro-A, job done.

Agreed, there's something about the vestax proX combo that rains supreme. Inno make for the best feeling fader in use but for my own taste proX in a vestax = cut jiz heaven.

Fun fact, I picked up a mint black 06, latest model for around a ton a couple of years back. Further down the line money was tight, really didn't wanna sell the black 06 but would let it go for silly money, so I left on eBay with a cheeky buy it now price of 220 jus to see what happened. Some dude from the states brought it with the added international shipping fee/insurance totalling at 280 for an fucking 06!!

I've seen one of these on Gumtree for £80. Looks like the major differences with this are the colour, the digital fader and the curve control on the top left of the mixer. Is there anything else?

To my ears, and I am probably a bit of a fussy bugger, all the Samurai series sound pretty nasty.

I'm bit shy about answer due I could go wrong again... But it hasn't special cut modes making click flares and orbits-like easy?

Back in the days people in my country rejected them to be "cheat" but I find them very useful for studio usage (I'm most a producer than dj and these innovations never make me feel cheater) so to me these samurais were seen as beast (Veastax hihi) due they were expensive and digital! I still remember the first time I go with a friend to see the 05/07 at store for near 2000 euro (around 1998) and rememer talks about how Invisible Skratch Picklz rock the DMC year after year... Later the Craze days... Oh, I'm getting old haha!

Edited by Mutis Mayfield

To my ears, and I am probably a bit of a fussy bugger, all the Samurai series sound pretty nasty.
Yes it was another usual ranting from my friends that I think is related to digital part (and maybe justified with crappy components) which sounds different from the other series.

I had a samurai 05 and I thought it was so shit I gave it away for free.

If it wasn't on your taste, the price Vestax put on it won't help... So they were marketed as the top but most djs still rejected them as we can see :/

Edited to no quotequotequote xD

Edited by Mutis Mayfield

They came in 4 versions, the Pro/ProA/ProD/VCA. See : http://rasteri.com/wiki/PMC_Pro#06_Series

The original is rarer than hen's teeth and was pretty shit anyway. The best one is the VCA because it sounds (relatively) decent and has nicer EQs. The ProA is OK.

They ALL take an innofader except the ProD, I've installed them in quite a few.

Also I should add, the ProA actually has a VCA circuit, just not as high-quality a VCA as the ProVCA

I've just very much enjoyed the nerdiest read of my week (your PMC wiki). But I have some queries :)

There were definitely two variants of the 06 ProA - I bought mine right when they dropped the original Japanese made 06 for the Chinese made 06 ProA (and the UK price dropped accordingly from £550 to £400). It definitely had Alps faders in all their slightly stiff, two prongs snapping on the top of the stem glory. Some time after that (a couple of years I think) all the PMC Pro series got the PCV faders. Around that time or not long after the UK price dropped down to about £200 - not sure if this was anything to do with manufacturing/internals or just progress... once the faders weren't the only good ones out there on market, all you were left with was a pretty average mixer. Years later, I put a PCV in mine instead of the Alps but it never really liked it and you got a very faint audible pop as it cut the audio that the later, originally PCV equipped mixers did not suffer.

My other mega nerdy thought is that you've got the dates of the 06 and 07 as the same, but I'm sure there was a time when only the 05 and 06 existed and it was a year or so until the 07 came out... Maybe they were just in Japan or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about though.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

There were definitely two variants of the 06 ProA

Thanks - I've updated the page. I knew there were different fader variants of some mixers but I thought by the time the 06proA came out they'd switched to PCV. As far as I can tell they used 99% of the same circuitry though.

My other mega nerdy thought is that you've got the dates of the 06 and 07 as the same, but I'm sure there was a time when only the 05 and 06 existed and it was a year or so until the 07 came out... Maybe they were just in Japan or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about though.

Hmm yeah, from what I can find the 06 came out in mid-1997 and the 07 came out either late 1997 or early 1998. The period when only the 06 existed can't have been more than 6 months or so. Edited the page to reflect it.

• Like 1