DV Delfonics/CD Sample Challenge - VOTE!

DJ Rock Well

And the winner is...  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins:?

• Psychedelic Schizophrenic
    • Wax On
    • Danswift
    • Rock Well
    • Doob/Forayem
    • Phonetic

good night these are so good.

I've listed through a couple times and narrowed down to Dan and Doob. Fucking all amazing beats though. Nobody is really out of the running... I'm going back and forth on em all.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

high level battle! so far its between dan, rocky and doob for me... but im gonna need some big-speaker listening to figure it out :) dope stuff guys!

• Like 2

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

It's going to be a tough job to pick only one to vote for as everyone entered boss mode for the battle :8

Wow these are all hot. Psychedelic reminds me of no guts no glory by yungun and mr thing. Dan's is crazy. Phoenetic's is live-o and doob's is great at that other tempo. Almost arbitrary to pick. Gotta think in judging terms for the most inventive use of the material rather than just the best sound I think... hard

• Like 2

Ha, yeah I was painfully aware I was playing fire there!

But despite all the versions out there, I've always wanted to try that one. It's why I actually made a start early on this time - I figured that if I could come up with a loop that wasn't exactly like I'd heard before and not too shit, I'd plough on with it. If not, I'd have time for a restart with a different sample.

• Like 1

Super! not gonna say who I went for but they were all good.

That means he voted for himself :p

BTW.. I still havent voted so don't close it out yet. Still wide open for me--they are all so good.

All the entries are dope.

Some really nice comments too! I wasn't too happy with my entry but to read some of you guys are feeling it is great.

Usually I just make beats for myself & hardly ever upload or finish anything.

These beat battles are just what I needed to give me a kick up the arse!!

• Like 4

Likewise.

Up until 12 months ago I'd not made any sampled music or beats for about 10 years or something and I had no real motivation to do so either..basically, I was finished with sampling.

When I joined the forum, one of the things that I liked most about this place was the fact that there were beat battles and I was content just to be a spectator and watch the dudes here battle it out but that completely changed when Rock Well chose the Bob James 'One' album and I decided that i had to get involved.

I'm glad I did because that particular battle was epic in my opinion, everyone brought some serious heat and I still enjoy listening to those tracks people contributed.

Bob would be so proud... :p

I can't thank Rock enough for that kick up the arse too tbh.

These tracks are dope btw and I like them all.There's some quality on display here for sure and i'm struggling to pick just one at the moment as the standard is high from everyone this time around although I've got to admit that I'm slightly disappointed that Mr Diggla hasn't done a Trap mix for the battle as this lp would have been perfect fodder for one.

C'mon Dirk, you know how much I hate Trap except when you make it so get one done anyway !.. :d

• Like 1

These tracks are dope btw and I like them all.There's some quality on display here for sure and i'm struggling to pick just one at the moment as the standard is high from everyone this time around although I've got to admit that I'm slightly disappointed that Mr Diggla hasn't done a Trap mix for the battle as this lp would have been perfect fodder for one.

C'mon Dirk, you know how much I hate Trap except when you make it so get one done anyway !.. :d

Man, I really wanted to get in. I still don't have my audio interface setup. Shoulda just done it all internally and banged something out.

Dan and Phonetic - as I've said before, i'm just pleased to be helping out. Forums like this should be about building real communities that will in turn nurture talent. So much of the good stuff that's happened to me and my mates over the last handful of years has links back to this place.

These battles have definitely helped me out no end too - about half the beats I've actually finished have been for a DV beat battle of some sort and I've learned shitloads of stuff through the neccesity of the challenge along the way.

• Like 2

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

It certainly was a damn tough one as everyone did a fantastic job this month but It came to down to Doob and Dan Swift for my vote. Dan just pipped it by the smallest of margins, if there was give everyone a vote option then this was the round!

Looking forward to the next battle :8

• Like 2

Phonetic-yeah I do all my tracks live on the pads of my Sp404 and record straight to Mini disc or onto cassette because I don't own any music making software to do them with.

The drums are chopped up and combined and resampled with the basslines to make the rhythm track loops and I just jam out with the other samples until I get the entire arrangement sounding how I want it then bash it down onto the MD player.

I'm a caveman who needs to learn how to use Ableton basically,which I will do...

erm soon....probably, hehe.

Oh yeah, i really liked everyone's beats for this battle and in the end it came down to Doob and Phonetic for me personally with Phonetic grabbing the vote for the cool 90's vibe.

Top marks all round to everyone for the challenge ,it was great to see what peeps did with what I thought was pretty tricky source material tbh.

• Like 1