Rane Twelve - holy shit

Guest rasteri

Guest rasteri

This has the potential to be a complete gamechanger for turntablism. Something like this was inevitable after Final Scratch came out. Can't believe it took the industry 16 years.

It would be a shame if it ends up being really shit.

Guest rasteri

Shit, I just had a thought - my shop is pretty tight with inmusic, now rane are on board maybe we can get demo versions of their stuff...

Certainly we can get spare parts etc. I'll lean on them.

• Like 3

I'm in shock. Pretty cool. Problem for me will likely be price... needs to be less than a super oem and we all know that's not gonna happen.

I like the strip search feature.

But yeah, doesn't this need to work super on point to really change anything? There should be basically no lag, otherwise, I'm not sure I would be worth it, at least for me. In all honestly I'm such a vinyl addict that I'd probably never be willing to go with something that only does DVS. It is really cool though.

• Like 2

It was perfectly possible since years ago thanks to @rasteri "scratchbox" midibox project and some tinkering...

Also possible to add it to any turntable thanks to djSniff and some tinkering (again)

https://youtu.be/G17o_HuQvo4

at this point and for scratching I will go the usb media player route like Denons (or modified cdx :wink: ) or Abletonesque-like/Mpc-like approach for producing and reproducing beats live. It leaves a "product" in the middle that could be NI D2 in standalone version (well someone could fit an intel nuc with traktor inside it ala thud rumble... it seems is going to be made with Pioneer from Focus fb group chat)

Or

Give dvs support to Pioneer ToRaiz/mpc Live to get the "scratchable MPC".

It should be at market over 2025 due to dj zeigeist, 2021 finantial crisis and inMusic bought from Pioneer corps at 2023. lol

Guest rasteri

I'd def get one for clubs/festivals if there's no noticeable difference in lag

It should be possible to get lower lag with a the Twelve, since instead of going audio->software->audio it just goes software->audio.

Theoretically USB latency could be as low as the USB 2.0 polling frequency (1/8th of a millisecond).

• Like 1

I like the idea but i'm a little skeptical

This is just a record player that doesn't have a needle and doesn't play actual records. a CDX for serato

Maybe they should have gone all out made a controller turntable to help reduce the need for a laptop. Which is actually something that pioneer should do next seen as they have their own recordbox software, Basically a cdj1000 or 2000 with a motorised platter. As that would attract the cdj dance heads, and the battle crowd.

One reason that this might work would be for reasons of space, if they made a 10in version of this (or 7), it'd make more sense to me.

It's not small enough to be useful for a touring dj, like an actual controller, and not likely that they will be available at clubs (for a long time...)

800quid each and you have to have the 72 to use it...?? (or do you) either way..... hrmmmmmm

Is there still enough money in battling to be throwing this kind product out?

• Like 3

I think you can use it directly with your laptop provided you have a Serato box or Serato DVS mixer. I think the 72 just gives you the option of having two extra USB inputs in the mixer so you can use two and not use up your laptop USB slots

I've always thought it would be a good idea to put the needle search and cue point bit across the record in roughly the same travel as the needle reaches across toward the centre. With higher res led feedback so you can see better where in the track you are - seems like this only has 8 indicators?

I've also thought it would be cool to have only half the record actually touchable with the other side having a section over it with pads etc on it.

Also I reckon a high res rotary encoder would be better for pitch, it'd take a bit of relearning but you could switch decks easier and be more precise. A shift button could do coarse changes, and scale buttons ala controller 1 could take care of pitch play duties.

Pm me my development fees, thanks.

• Like 3

Guest rasteri

Yeah it is a lil pricey compared to other turntables - but it's apparently all-metal construction so will be (hopefully) pretty much indestructable. Also setting up will take 2 seconds since there'll be no calibration etc to perform.

Also remember it's less than half the price of a single CDJ.

I see it being useful in situations where the DJ can take all their own equipment and might be subject to a slightly iffy noise/vibration/electrical environment - festivals, outdoor events, etc etc.