• watzz
    • Motek
    • CirKutCision
    • Symatic
    • ruftone
    • ericuk
    • d00ban
    • Dubba Dutchdj

Yeah I do need to fix up the 'direct in' element of my videos. I should step up my game. I've got a HD cam (which still doesn't have D.I) but I just end up using my iphone because it's easier. I jusge other videos based on the sound. #hypocrite

I could probably record the video and audio separately and sync it up? is that what you mans do?

Yeah (not very well I might add)

Very hard to decide as all of them had something about them I liked.

Eventually I went with Eric, not cos he offered me sweets or anything, but because he made one small mistake, stopped, announced he'd "fluffed up" and still had arguably the strongest video.

Totally agree that he needs to sort himself out with proper line-in recording (either record separately or spend £60 on one of those iPhone interfaces like I did - so much easier).

Guest Symatic

Broke - I was totally clutching at straws to be fair mate - youres is a fucking sick file but eric's just had more of that battle flavour if you know what i mean.

I really liked yours and wattz style overall, both have really subtle things goin on and really nice little accents and stuff - but thats the sort of scratching i'd listen to, rather than battle with if you get me???

Re: some previous comments about both lack of older (but still totally valid) scratches and scratching that sounds like its using the beat as a metronome rather than something to scratch to...

I think it's partly the beats. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing but respect for the whole nozl crew, I think they're pretty much leading the way right now by treading their own path and killing it with sick, sick skills. But their beats often suit the newer school styles of cutting and to my own tastes I find them very hard to scratch to... I'll admit I'm old, not the greatest scratcher and grew up with boom bap as my comfort zone. But I've always found it easier to scratch to the groove of the beat, where the vibe or swing of the beat informs the flow of the scratch. I find a lot of current popular scratch beats to be atonal and devoid of any swing or groove - just a random barrage of stuttering noises and nagging sounds. A lot of them make more sense when a kick-ass DJ is cutting over them, but take away the cuts and I don't really like the sound of what's left.

• Like 3

voted for broke even tho the delay was retarded, you're not the ruck bro. ericuk had some sicko techniques but he was on full tilt for a lot of the vid and felt flow suffered a bit from just goin h0aard, which I can totally relate to cuz fuck flow that's for senior citizen scratchers who have bone deficiencies in their wrists.

other peeps:

dubba - rippin the hydroplane faders, ill

n00ban: winner of worst camera angle wtf are you high? why is it focussed on doppelkorn's busted ass bike chain u probs stole to wear as a necklace to hip-hop shows to give u street cred wtf so weird... anyways the cuts were really nice in spots, some bits with good flow and bits with good tech but a bit inconsistent, like a couple missed clicks and a couple spots that coulda used a pause or 2 to polish off the phrase, maybe coulda took it with a better take

ruftone - killin those multi-sample cuts with the swing flares... some killer combo's but only critique is you seemed zoned in on some of those swing flare type patterns in this vid, woulda liked to see more variation

symatic - stylin hard in this one... good variation and diggin the fades and stuff... def near the top of the pack, would've voted but twiddles are weird seems like a scratch pedophiles would do so didn't vote for moral reasons

cirkutcision - yea nice vid too but def saw you on the TV as a boston bombing suspect so ya couldn't vote cuz moral reasons, war against terror etc, p.s. heard about you and selena sorry man, but still don't bomb ppl cuz ur gf dumped u, a bit harsh

motek - iirc you haven't been cutting as long as most of the ancient idiots, so def good considering, nice to hear some pauses thrown in there, a lot of these dummies don't know the meaning of letting it breathe (I'm literally the worst at that tho too cuz clicks > pauses), but there were sometimes the pause was a bit too long like you a couple times I thought you were stopping and thinking about whether you fed the cat and stuff made me kinda nervous, but yea style's developing just crank that record control that'll help a lot

watzz - nice

monkey hands - some of my fav flow in the battle, some funky stuff, not sure about the recording tho, made Ericuk's sound like a pure analog tape recording the would please both Steve and the Ruck. I like ur ch0rps and those tear chirp thingies near the end, fresh.

mfsop - u win best intro to scratch vid, platter cam is kinda dope. some nice flows in there, a bit sloppy in parts tho, I think building a bit more record control would help, your record hand kind of looks like when you're cleaning the fish tank and you accidentally drop the gold fish on the floor and he's like flopping and jumping on the floor... if you can make it work roll with it but might help to reign it in a bit too

madpressure - nice vid, best angles for sure, dope flow and tech... can't really front, solid vid, the lasers at one part were the only bit a tad sloppy.

watzz - felt bad for writing 1 word before, your vid was better than that, but can't really think of any critique just preferred the flow of a couple other vids, but still nice job

vekked - well ur really handsome and your beat juggling is top notch only 2nd to well no one, and your scratching sounds like analog angels singing through a talkbox recorded to tape pressed to vinyl scratch on the controller one but ricci rucker the beat juggled by yourself and covered by a live orchestra of angels conducted by jesus composed by ricci rucker pre-ruckazoid days, you get my vote.

• Like 3