CDX reverse engineering

Guest rasteri

Just for teh record, this isn't dead, Rasteri is very busy, but last time we spoke he was hopeful of movement on this when he gets some free time ;)

I know Flexi but it's not a matter of time "to" more than my own boring and happiness. If you remember I come here because a friend ask me about portables and so. I started dropping the research database to don't worry anymore, now is time to hardware and never finished projects.

I need my energy for talkbox, iOS production and live looping and even simple scratching setup is more complex than I want to deal anymore. Maybe in the future I regret but then I will buy an old (but working) turntable, mixer and done. Mixing songs is dead to my workflow pov as fun in music terms.

Just for teh record, this isn't dead, Rasteri is very busy, but last time we spoke he was hopeful of movement on this when he gets some free time ;)

I know Flexi but it's not a matter of time "to" more than my own boring and happiness. If you remember I come here because a friend ask me about portables and so. I started dropping the research database to don't worry anymore, now is time to hardware and never finished projects.

I need my energy for talkbox, iOS production and live looping and even simple scratching setup is more complex than I want to deal anymore. Maybe in the future I regret but then I will buy an old (but working) turntable, mixer and done. Mixing songs is dead to my workflow pov as fun in music terms.

Oh no, that was a general thread update, not pointed at you dude ;) I know you have various stuff going on :)

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

Just so y'all know, I think the next step is to dump the DSP ROM and reverse engineer that. I don't have anything to read ROMs with so I guess I'll have to buy one, but I'm still really busy. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 2

Just so y'all know, I think the next step is to dump the DSP ROM and reverse engineer that. I don't have anything to read ROMs with so I guess I'll have to buy one, but I'm still really busy. I'll keep you posted.

Hi tell me please which chip to read and with what, and we will do it in no time, we have the tools, cheers

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

Hi tell me please which chip to read and with what, and we will do it in no time, we have the tools, cheers

For sure? That would be amazing!

The ROM I need read is marked IC604 and it's on the main board near the DSP. I think it's a PLCC in a socket right beside the heatsink, but I can double check tomorrow.

If you can dump that then I would be eternally grateful.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

Wow. That's a big help. Reverse engineering the DSP code is (IMO) a more satisfying solution than emulating the servo.

If you can, maybe dump U11 on the MP3 board too - it might give us some clues about that weird ASIC/FPGA/whatever that is. Don't worry too much about it though.

• Like 1

No problem, I'am not doing it, Its my friend Borys, we try to resurect this player for long time.. He works in a lab, repairing all electronical stuff, from gadgets thru apple products till military and medical equipment. So like I sait it should be done tomorrow.

Hoping to give cdx second life ;)

Check the drive link that you request at pm, you can find service manual and everything I have collect about cdx/hdx ;)

Guest rasteri

Hi, today read out of memory and fit, on google drive, if someone has a service manual for HDX?

Sorry for the bad you translate but I use google translator

Hi Borys, thanks for your help!

You can upload the CDX ROMs to here - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7FEmphzxtnxSmRYcFNVQVZXT28?usp=sharing - I would like IC604 on the main PCB, and U11 on the MP3 PCB if you have time. I think they're both 32-pin PLCC ROM chips.

I don't have an HDX service manual unfortunately. Here is the CDX service manual if you don't already have it - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4ftWaZ6ARSUQ2VmakxnNFc5R2c

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

When I get a chance I guess I'll have a look at the DSP's boot sequence through a logic analyzer. Of particular interest are the MODA-MODD pins (they control the startup mode of the processor) - I assumed it was set to boot from the ROM but it's possible one of the other microcontrollers could be feeding it a bootloader or something via the serial or host control ports.

Also worth looking at will be the address lines of the ROM, but I only have an 8-bit analyzer so that could be a PITA.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

Well I'm guessing you don't have any DSP56K development tools, but I'm going to try and build a clone of a DSP56K dev board so I can run the DSP in debug mode and poke around inside the running program. Maybe leave that bit to me.

But yeah, if you have a logic analyzer it would be interesting to see some stuff.

Firstly I'd like to see what mode the DSP boots up in. If you could log the pins _RESET (44), MODA(137), MODB(136), MODC(135) and MODD(136) on startup that would be interesting. I'm betting the binary value will be "1001", which means it's loading the code 8-bits at a time from the external memory bus.

After that I guess I'd check to get logs of the data and address buses of the DSP, just to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Also - Damn you people, you've got me back into this damn CDX when I really should be working on other things :)

Hehe I just need to stop swapping shitty cd units in cdx every few days :)

I figured out why the platter has too big wow & flutter - old grease hardened - I made a video about that.

Now we need to make it mp3 compatible - for me - I just need to put a serato timecode signal in it - to controll the pitch and platter that's it ;)

Also... Borys had an idea of checking if its possible to input some firmware or maybe modified hardware to match hdx firmware

I wanted to buy some old hdx but couldn't get my hands on any..

borys would then compare both firmwares and look for a difference.

Cdx board has some inputs for - memory card and usb socket - we tried that way (added some components but it would not read data from this input) - it not used by the firmware or sometihg

Guest rasteri

Cdx board has some inputs for - memory card and usb socket - we tried that way (added some components but it would not read data from this input) - it not used by the firmware or sometihg

Yeah - I want to study 56K development so we can maybe make use of those unused USB pads. Probably it's just not enabled in the firmware.

Also... Borys had an idea of checking if its possible to input some firmware or maybe modified hardware to match hdx firmware

I wanted to buy some old hdx but couldn't get my hands on any..

borys would then compare both firmwares and look for a difference.

https://www.numark.com/images/product_downloads/hdx_v118_00.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bznrsmi7592fu8d/HDX_Update_Instructions.pdf?dl=0