Dj Disk is mad again.

Karol

Hi what's up? I don't know if you guys have watched that already but here is video of Dj Disk being mad again at Babu for "stealing Disk's credit for the term "turntablism"

will he ever stop? or mby he's right? What you think about it? Edited by Karol

I never know what to think... I reckon Disk got pretty shafted by some on the scene and I can understand why he's angry. But when someone's bitter about the past it can certainly cloud their memories of the time and twist things to a perspective that suits them.

I'm not sure Babu would be out to stitch up Disk, Yogafrog totally would, but less sure on Babu.

It's probably something in the middle like Bab was calling himself Babu the Ablist like he says and then Disk built on that coming up with turntablist but neither really sees the other as having been part.

• Like 2

It's hard to tell only hearing one side of the story.

I never really knew the whole back story on Disk. I get the impression he kind of helped dudes along but their skills eventually surpassed his and eventually he got left out. The music industry can be tough like that, especially when groups get successful (see the early drummer for the Foo Fighters). Flare has always been ill as hell on the cut but maybe has had some personal issues, etc.

I honestly don't necessarily remember Babu personally making claims about inventing the term "turntablist" but I know he's been credited with it for YEARS.

I find it hard to hate on any of these dudes unless they owe me money or product. Then it's like "oh hell knaw, fuck that guy".

• Like 1

Didn't Babu say he came up with that term in the Scratch movie? I'm sure he did, but I haven't watched it in a long time, so I might be wrong.

Yeah, he did. And that may well be exactly why Disk is taking offence at it. He definitely made it seem as though it was his concept that he had come up with by himself. Disk's story sounds legit to me but who really knows...

I wonder who named fire, oh that's right, who gives a shit !!

Ya it's quite a weird thing to be arguing over. I guess it's props at the end of the day, ie, Afrika Bambaataa (risky name to bringing up these days haha) can be proud to have coined the term 'hip hop' but if you have to argue over it, it kind of loses its value.

• Like 1

I wonder who named fire, oh that's right, who gives a shit !!

Ya it's quite a weird thing to be arguing over. I guess it's props at the end of the day, ie, Afrika Bambaataa (risky name to bringing up these days haha) can be proud to have coined the term 'hip hop' but if you have to argue over it, it kind of loses its value.

I was always under the impression that it was Spoonie Gee who was supposedly the originator of the term 'Hip Hop'

I could be totally wrong about this of course but that's the story I was lead to believe ...pretty sure its on his Wikipedia page too..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonie_Gee

Didn't Babu say he came up with that term in the Scratch movie? I'm sure he did, but I haven't watched it in a long time, so I might be wrong.

Ha. There you go. I haven't seen that in a minute. But that came out something like 15 years ago. It's not like Disk couldn't have gotten on the message boards and tried to set the record straight then. It's actually kind of weird that he wasn't saying anything back then. Oh damn, I'm starting to sound like a Cosby sympathizer.

• Like 1

In 'Scratch' it's presented in a slightly more ambiguous fashion. As in, one or two other people say they thought first heard the term in context with Babu and he just says it was some thing to write on his mix tapes, inspired by Jeru being 'The Damaja'.

Maybe I'm wrong, but even prior to this Disk business it came across as people saying Babu's mixtapes was the first time they remembered seeing the term and Babu seems to be saying it was just something he did back in the day and didn't really think about in the grand scheme of things. Even watching Scratch when it first dropped, it felt like a likely possible answer rather than anyone dropping their flag on it and laying official claim.

Even though it seems like a small thing to make a fuss about I can relate to his grievance. I've had private conversations with an individual about scratching on facebook which I've then seen a few days later presented on a facebook status as a thought they'd just had without any reference to who actually introduced that idea to them. If you couple this with a large fan base who take their word for it, then it does feel quite insulting. It happened more than once with this person. Its a very weird feeling reading posts like that and does hurt a bit. And yeah its a petty issue but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter. I mean its enough to cause people to fallout or in my case I just consciously make a decision not to share ideas with that person again. If anything that sort of behavior displays a lack of character and a fixation of being seen a particular way even if thats at the expense of others.

Obviously Disk seems to have had an issue with it for a long time and its become a bigger deal than perhaps it ought to be (hense talking about the lie detecter and stuff), but then that can happen when people you thought were your mates decide to blank you repeatedly on top of all that. Babu could easily have had a 2 minute conversation with him and resolved it all, but would rather skirt the subject for whatever reason.

• Like 2

I definitely think these things are no small matter when you're the person involved. In the case of Disk, I totally believe that one way or another he got screwed over by a few (now) much more famous DJs. When there's a 20 year gap though, from an outsider's perspective it's hard to know exactly which incidents are as clear cut as he says and which one's are two different people's opposing perspective's on a messy situation.

Chile - in your particular case mate, I think that's really shit. Ideas should be credited where credit is due, especially in a situation where its so blatant. It's very frustrating that the majority of people will instantly believe the more famous person in any of these sort of situations (yours and other's)... the irony in that for me is that many people who've acheived some kind of success are exactly those particularly driven ones who've absolutely got where they've got by stealing ideas, burning through friands and connections and taking advantage of any situations they can for their own advancement.

Even though it seems like a small thing to make a fuss about I can relate to his grievance. I've had private conversations with an individual about scratching on facebook which I've then seen a few days later presented on a facebook status as a thought they'd just had without any reference to who actually introduced that idea to them. If you couple this with a large fan base who take their word for it, then it does feel quite insulting. It happened more than once with this person. Its a very weird feeling reading posts like that and does hurt a bit. And yeah its a petty issue but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter. I mean its enough to cause people to fallout or in my case I just consciously make a decision not to share ideas with that person again.

That's what you get for talking to Q-Bert. Joking aside, though, I agree with you. It's pretty shitty for someone to take your idea and pass it off as their own and I know I'd be mightily pissed off if someone did it to me. Whether that's 100% the case in the case of the Disk/Babu turntablist "controversy" is debatable (clearly), of course.

They all smoke mad amounts of weed, so could have mistaken themselves for coining the term when they heard it in passing. For instance, I thought I came up with the term "Motavated" whilest at the skatepark, but some dude quickly corrected me, claiming he heard it in jail on the regular. Also, my boy Troy drinks and smokes a ton, as consequently tells me the same story I just told him, thinking it was his. No joke. Probably doesn't help that he's a pathological liar, too.

Yes, I hangout with some real winners.

• Like 1

Seriously ? It's a damn word !!!

I got ripped off by a shitty audio company called ted fletcher audio, they used to make the Joe Meek line before getting sued by the Joe Meek estate, I wrote a suite of VST plugins (when VST was just starting out) that got a ton of gold awards in EQ magazine and such, they licenced them (Danny Fletcher in particular, teds son) went bankrupt and then distributed them without permission via their new company (Fletcher Audio Acoustics) to the tune of 750k (pounds not dollars) in OEM deals and straight sales, i never got a penny and the solicitors basically said you are fucked cause its a different company and it would have cost me 50-60k in fees to nail them.

Guess what, i'm still alive and kicking.

So again, its just a damn word, get on with your life Disk FFS !!

This brings back memories of my great uncle Eddie's crazy mad beef with that thieving old harmonica playing bastard Larry Adler back in the 1950's but without the backwards worn baseball caps and phat laced Adidas sneakers

I wasn't there at the time tho obviously..

• Like 2