Sampling surround sound

d00ban

I'm trying to do the technique that Pogo uses in this video;

The point is to try and capture different sources of sound by splitting up the surround sound speakers using the loop back function on the Saffire.

The process is something like this:

- Route speakers to outputs on Mac Audio / Midi settings

- Set up loop back function in Mixcontrol

- Set Ableton to record loopback channels (14/15)

- Route just centre channel to those channels

I have everything set up but am struggling with the last step. I'm not sure exactly how to route "just the centre channel", I still seem to be capturing most of the sound coming from the movie, and not individual sounds / speech as the process aim to achieve.

May be i am just expecting too much, and surround sound doesn't split the channels as much as I think they should? The other thing I think that might be going wrong is that I don't have enough spare channels to route them somewhere else, so they're still getting sent to the DAW.

Seems a long shot but does any one have any experience with this? :o

cheers

Guest Symatic

I would go out of a surround sound amp that has multi channel analog outputs and record each channel spearately. Depending on how its been mixed you might get some isolated sounds....

Going out of the speaker outputs it will be too much signal wont it?

Ya I mean the reason I was trying to do it with a sound card is because I don't actually have surround sound or an amp or any thing. So I was trying to use the outputs as the speakers if you know what I mean. I'll have a looksy at that app Sy, cheers

Aight I figured it out!

For any one who wants to know what I ended up doing is:

- Rip the audio using DVDfab, you can choose what format so I ended up using FLAC

- Use Media Human to convert to AC3

- Then I opened the AC3 files in Audacity and you can see all 6 Surround sound channels seperately and export them as WAVs

- Boom!

Thanks to this guy;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCCQCV-ZuuI

• Like 1