New laptop recommendations

d00ban

Yo,

So I had my macbook pro since 2010 and it's done me well to be fair. It's on it's last legs now though (random Kernel panics etc).

Was wondering if any one had any recommendations for decent laptops for DJing / Production and general everyday use.

I'm a bit put off the new MacBooks as they're even more ridiculously priced than usual!

Without any real experience it always seemed that although obviously anyone who uses a Mac is a cunt, it's hard to find PC hardware as well built as a Macbook Pro etc. Previously I always rated IBM Thinkpads but not sure they are as great as they once were.

I bought my mother in law an Asus Zenbook thing and the screen has a wonky line of pixels after 18 months.

Not sure who I would go for if I needed a PC laptop looking thing. Maybe a super expensive Surface Pro.

Ya that's the thing. Although I paid a premium for this macbook, I can't complain that it hasn't lasted me a long time. I think the new ones aren't really upgradable like this generation were though so doubt it'd last as long.

Without any real experience it always seemed that although obviously anyone who uses a Mac is a cunt, it's hard to find PC hardware as well built as a Macbook Pro etc. Previously I always rated IBM Thinkpads but not sure they are as great as they once were.

I bought my mother in law an Asus Zenbook thing and the screen has a wonky line of pixels after 18 months.

Not sure who I would go for if I needed a PC laptop looking thing. Maybe a super expensive Surface Pro.

That's unfortunately true.

Maybe worth getting a newer but still old MacBook and spending money making it better?

I'm on a 2011 and am considering putting a ssd in and maxing the ram. 2012+ let you swap out the disc drive for a second ssd drive too

Ya in my 2010 I replaced the hard drive with a 750 GB one and put a 500 GB SSD in the optical drive, was pretty sweet (until it started crashing all over the place).

Think that's what I'm gonna do, look at getting an older, upgraded one.

• Like 1

I'm better placed to advise you what not to get. Please don't buy anything by Gigabyte - I spent the best part of a grand on a P34G and it's a total cunt. The CPU fans kick into overdrive for no good reason (usually because I've opened a SECOND tab in my web browser) and this can only be fixed by a BIOS update from 2013 that no longer exists on the manufacturer website.

Their support are shit too. When I logged a ticket asking for advice they got me to submit a whole gang of task manager screenshots and then told me it was a Google Chrome problem and that they couldn't help because they're not Google developers.

I hate it and I hate myself for buying it. BTW: it's yours for £800...

Yeah was looking at the dell XPS.

Any one got / used one?

I've got an XPS 13 I just got early this year. It's nice if you want a small, light, and powerful laptop. The 3200 x 1800 screen res has been a challenge with some programs, like Serato, so you have to do this weird workaround. You basically need to go into registry and force the program to fill up the sceen, otherwise you get this crazy-small text. Once you do the fix it's workable though and you only have to do it once.

Mine has a touchscreen but keep in mind it won't really work like a tablet. I was strongly considering the Microsoft surface pro but it was just too bulky for me. I like the small form-factor of the Dell. I hate dealing with Dell and have sworn them off in the past but their stuff tends to last forever and you can get long warranties (you just have to fight with their customer service to get them to honor it.) My old Inspiron is well over 10 years old and still going whereas the Sony Vaio Z that I replaced it with was stone dead within 5 years, even after being repaired a few times. I've had way to many issues with computers to live with the bullshit 1 or 2 year warranty you get with a lot of these crazy-expensive laptops.

I'm better placed to advise you what not to get. Please don't buy anything by Gigabyte - I spent the best part of a grand on a P34G and it's a total cunt. The CPU fans kick into overdrive for no good reason (usually because I've opened a SECOND tab in my web browser) and this can only be fixed by a BIOS update from 2013 that no longer exists on the manufacturer website.

Their support are shit too. When I logged a ticket asking for advice they got me to submit a whole gang of task manager screenshots and then told me it was a Google Chrome problem and that they couldn't help because they're not Google developers.

I hate it and I hate myself for buying it. BTW: it's yours for £800...

Good call. On that note, Lenovo fucking sucks IMO.