The Ruck Deck

Guest Mike Reezy

I am all for it, if it can do all you want and more, how can you hate?

And its not like the QFO, where the whole shit was redesigned.

I like doing turntablke band shit alot, and I hit the 33/45, as well as the quartz lock button and the pitch.

My whole viewpoint is that, its based off that idea only exponentially more possibilities.

I kinda agree with Ricci about the turntabkle being the end all of all, but more in a production sense.

You can take any sound you can make with anything and freak it in ways you cant with any other tool.... to me, that means its limitless, and that in a sense it can do everything anything else can do and more.....

if you use the 33/45 (78 if you have it) when doing mel,odies and tones, then you should know where this is coming from.

Also, for people like me, I cant play any instruments, they just seem so foreign to me.... I mean I can play few songs on a guitar or w/e but just shit tyler taught me.

I think its a pretty damn cool idea, I thought it would be sicc the moment I read Riccis idea about it on asis, long before it wa actuallyin the works..

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soon you'll be strapping a reed onto your headshell and blowing down the tonearm while you cover holes in the counterweight, playing a circular ring of piano keys around the platter, and pressing brass keys where the pitch slider used to be in order to manipulate the movement of air through the turntable circuitry.

Dood, have you never seen the Scratch Perverts??

FLOL...anyway I think it sounds like a stupid, pointless venture. Ricci has been convinced for so long that the turntable is the be-all-end-all of "instruments," that he's actually trying to turn it into one. Soon you'll be strapping a reed onto your headshell and blowing down the tonearm while you cover holes in the counterweight, playing a circular ring of piano keys around the platter, and pressing brass keys where the pitch slider used to be in order to manipulate the movement of air through the turntable circuitry.

I do actualy like the look of these decks but this post is on point.

You can take any sound you can make with anything and freak it in ways you cant with any other tool.... to me, that means its limitless, and that in a sense it can do everything anything else can do and more.....

Post a file of Beethovens 9th being performed purely on turntables, or maybe a turntable solo that even comes close to something John Coltrane would perform.

Turnables are cool but they CAN'T do everything. I think too many people are actually severely limiting themselves by pretending the turntables use is unlimited

Werd up. You don't try and play a piano concerto with a penny whistle, well, maybe if you're a smack head!!

I think ATEOTD the table will have it's application but it won't actually change anything, rather like the QFO really. I think it does deserve to be SLATED to the high heavens tho for no other reason than that Ricci slated the QFO in such a way when he was really taking it's application out of context.......oh yeah, he's a total fucking arse as well of course.

"but cut bands have been making some pretty good sounds without the extra gadgetry (see scratch perverts)"

Errrrrrr, sorry, I have to completely disagree, non of their stuff sounds anything close to good tome. There's not many saying anything when it comes to turntable music and Ricci's one of few that can almost pull off something remotely listenable.

pz

Slip the C note, and you can choke, on my ring-ding-ding-a-ling doooown your throat

is that the new crazy frog tune????

anyway back to this turnatable..yeah you would have to have specific vinyl for it to work. im assuming it will start at C as thats the standard and easiest of keys (no sharps or flats). im guessing that it will have the other notes running along the pitch fader...but even with it telling you hwhere it is you aint gonna get it perfectly correct unless you have a musicians ear and can tell if its in tune, or it will have locking areas (like technics mk2 0 quartz lock) at every note..but thats gonna make it hard to mix on with thos getting in ya way all the time.

to me (unless im missing something here) its just gonna be like a normal table but with notes on the side of the pitch shift, instead of %. and any person who is good with music and can tell hwich note is which, can already do this sort of stuff.

thinking about it they could have different keys where they press a button and change a LED pitch display to show the corresponding notes

Going on what I've read, you will be able to switch between notes at the touch of a button.

Post a file of Beethovens 9th being performed purely on turntables, or maybe a turntable solo that even comes close to something John Coltrane would perform.

Turnables are cool but they CAN'T do everything. I think too many people are actually severely limiting themselves by pretending the turntables use is unlimited

^^On point.

My fear is that this new deck will only allow you to create really simple monophonic tunes and nothing more. I really don't want to shell out several large for a turntable equivalent of a stylophone.

Perhaps if a group of people use them together to get some chords going then that might be cool. Maybe I should take a cold hard look at the drawings and really work out what it can do.

I think the problem is that we're lacking a third arm. Dunno about you guys but i have enough problems just coordinating the movements of my fader and record hands, let alone some other shit that sounds much more cumbersome than a pitch-slider.

Guest Deeswift
FLOL...anyway I think it sounds like a stupid, pointless venture. Ricci has been convinced for so long that the turntable is the be-all-end-all of "instruments," that he's actually trying to turn it into one. Soon you'll be strapping a reed onto your headshell and blowing down the tonearm while you cover holes in the counterweight, playing a circular ring of piano keys around the platter, and pressing brass keys where the pitch slider used to be in order to manipulate the movement of air through the turntable circuitry.

Werd.

I dislike Ricci's attitude towards CD decks such as the CDX. WTF? I'm all for progresss, personally. You don't have to give up one or the other, both have their good and bad points. The thing is, technology will progress anyway, and you may as well have it on your side than try to fight such a monster. I don't see what difference it makes... you're still manipulating the sound with your hands, be it CD or vinyl. CD decks are eliminating a lot of the problems associated with regular decks, and in my opinion this is a good thing.

Anywayz, I won't be buying no damn turntable with a musical scale on it. That's gay. Ricc says himself that CD decks are all about emulation, and that it's wack. Well what the fuck is this special Ricci Rucker turntable trying to emulate? A guitar? A piano? What? It's trying to emulate a musical instrument. What a load of toss.

That quote is perfect, Dextrous.

I don't think Ricci's used a CDX. I haven't either, but I've read about them. He says on Asis you can't do looping - you can and as you can loop anything at any time it goes beyond what you can easily do with a record. He says you can't jump to a point in the track - you can assign 3,000 cue points! That's gotta be enough for anyone.

People also say "get your own records made" - well that ain't that easy really. I know some people do it, but if I had a CDX I'd have my own custom CDs burnt in no time. It's cheaper by far, easier and quicker. You could use wav files and still fit 70 minutes on one disc too. It doesn't kill digging cos you've still got to find sounds to use. It doesn't mean that anyone could buy a CDX and make wicked albums. You still need the exact same skills you would need if you were using vinyl.

The CDX is still new. There will be better in the near future I reckon. Look how much better FS2 is compared to the original.

Guest Deeswift

Yeah, give it a few years, CD decks will keep improving, and I'll probably retire my vinyl decks pretty much full time. I don't care about "keeping it real" and "keep vinyl alive" and all that crap, I'm here to make music, and tools like the CDX have opened up shitloads of possibilities because half the stuff I wanna cut up is on CD only. That's more important to me than trying to be cool and keeping it real. If I had the cash I'd go out today and buy a CDX.

What would be good is a hybrid deck with a DVD drive. It would be cool to be able to loop any beat on a disc and cut over it using vinyl too. A deck that takes memory sticks/cards would be nice too, especially as prices on the larger capacity ones continues to fall. I'd also like to see the CDX have effects you could change or upgrade. I dunno if it already does that.

I'm not a vinyl purist either, but I'd feel bad parting with my records! There is something about crates of vinyl that's far more satisfying than CDs, even if it is only in my mind. When I'm sitting down listening to music, it's always in a digital format.

There's this one, but the position of the CD loading slot is such that you can't put the deck "battle style": -

http://www.djempire.co.uk/tmpImages/3863_x250_y250_q90.jpg

If manufacturers actually came and asked for feedback on forums such as this and Asis etc. they may actually come up with a product people wanna buy, instead of there being about 100 turntables on the market and only half a dozen worth looking at.

If manufacturers actually came and asked for feedback on forums such as this and Asis etc. they may actually come up with a product people wanna buy, instead of there being about 100 turntables on the market and only half a dozen worth looking at.

That's exactly what they do and that's the problem. That's why we have 20 or so good scratch mixers. Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

That's exactly what they do and that's the problem. That's why we have 20 or so good scratch mixers. Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

sorry i'm not sure by what you mean by the problem. A diverse market place is far preferential to a monopolised one, surely?

coughwindowscough

Guest Deeswift

All I need (from a vinyl deck) is the build of a Technics with the pitch of the PDX. That can't be too difficult to achieve, but no one has done it. Why not? Vestax build quality is less than impressive, and the pitch adjustment of the 1200 is the main thing that's lacking.

All I need (from a vinyl deck) is the build of a Technics with the pitch of the PDX. That can't be too difficult to achieve, but no one has done it. Why not? Vestax build quality is less than impressive, and the pitch adjustment of the 1200 is the main thing that's lacking.

whats the deal with teh Mark 5 1200's? havent they got something similar?