Midi Controllers: The death of scratching, a gateway drug, or neither?

Vekked

Guest loop skywalker

now..i know i may have had a few drugs and on a bit of a comedown..but do you think theyre called "controllers "for a reason? Its a conspiracy..we turntable lovers are being made extinct by the manufacturers..downing street and the white house are definitly involved.

Everything goes in cycles. I barely even want to use Serato and if I could press scratch dub plates I would do it all the time so I do get the appeal of digital...but all I know is:

If you got into scratching to be popular...kill yourself.

If you think battling was/is the be all end all of dj'ing...kill yourself.

If you think controllerism > vinyl + turntable...kill yourself.

Moral of the story is just kill yourself...or keep scratching and when it comes back around again in terms of progression and popularity you'll be happy you stuck with it.

<3

LOL I didn't deny that it's basically just EDM tho, but it has a decent amount of scratching. Despite being the biggest scratch nerd, I'm not as big of a fan boy of C2C as most. Muh fukkaz tricked people into thinking that not scratching was the new scratching.

C2C are great. They are different to BNN because 20syl produces their music and not a person outside of the group. So pretty much IMO, we hear 20syls interpretation of Hip-Hop (which for me can be a lot of different genres). When we went to their show, most of my hardcore-scratch or hip-hop-producing friends, were intrigued by what they were doing technically as a group, but most of them thought that it sucked music-wise. But that's because everybody has their own taste of hip-hop-music. I still prefer BNNs 1st album to anything else coming from the french-scratch-music-scene (the one they produced on their own).

Ps: Ever listenend to FUGA lately?

LOL I didn't deny that it's basically just EDM tho, but it has a decent amount of scratching. Despite being the biggest scratch nerd, I'm not as big of a fan boy of C2C as most. Muh fukkaz tricked people into thinking that not scratching was the new scratching.

C2C are great. They are different to BNN because 20syl produces their music and not a person outside of the group. So pretty much IMO, we hear 20syls interpretation of Hip-Hop (which for me can be a lot of different genres). When we went to their show, most of my hardcore-scratch or hip-hop-producing friends, were intrigued by what they were doing technically as a group, but most of them thought that it sucked music-wise. But that's because everybody has their own taste of hip-hop-music. I still prefer BNNs 1st album to anything else coming from the french-scratch-music-scene (the one they produced on their own).

Ps: Ever listenend to FUGA lately?

Yea I hear you. I mean C2C's take on the scratch band is cool, it's like one extreme, but for me it's not really what I like about the turntable as an instrument. Like I've realized almost everything that I find good about C2C doesn't have much to do with what they do on the turntables. So although I think some of their stuff sounds great, I don't think they're a great turntable band if that makes sense.

Haven't listened to FUGA in a minute, why do you ask?

I totally get what you mean regarding "don't think they're a great turntable band". It's the same for me. Ned Hoddings are still the greatest when it comes to that aspect (or Ned Hoddings plus D). I'd love to see a release of Gunkhole...but I guess that wont happen...

I just listenend to FUGA after reading this thread for the 1st time. The Ruck was a big inspiration to me back then (music-wise). And Rrrraaapppp is still running in my car from time to time (shame he went the classic-electro-route).

I totally get what you mean regarding "don't think they're a great turntable band". It's the same for me. Ned Hoddings are still the greatest when it comes to that aspect (or Ned Hoddings plus D). I'd love to see a release of Gunkhole...but I guess that wont happen...

I just listenend to FUGA after reading this thread for the 1st time. The Ruck was a big inspiration to me back then (music-wise). And Rrrraaapppp is still running in my car from time to time (shame he went the classic-electro-route).

Yea man, ditto to everything you said. I remember the first time I even heard of gunkhole/ned hoddings was this vid from back on Asis (I think?), watched it countless times:

I still haven't seen the Gunkhole DVD cuz it's basically impossible to find... You got the rrraaappp instrumentals?

Hey Arkei...still got a copy of Live In Bologna? ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest petesasqwax

Just my 2p but the obvious thing to me about Technics stopping deck production is that most non-hip-hop DJs probably jumped ship from turntables long before scratch DJs considered it - therefore secondhand Technics (which, as we've already pointed out in this thread, don't break) have been in relatively plentiful supply. The fact that Technics doesn't feel it appropriate to make more these days is entirely irrelevant - all it means is that it is possible to suggest that fewer DJs use turntables now. The extent to which this statement accurately applies to scratch DJs is impossible to discern.

Hey Arkei...still got a copy of Live In Bologna? ;)

As I'm a total fail when it comes to creatin torrent etc. and I don't have a rapidshare etc. I ask you to PM me your postal adress. I will send you a copy on DVD...

Yea man, ditto to everything you said. I remember the first time I even heard of gunkhole/ned hoddings was this vid from back on Asis (I think?), watched it countless times:

I still haven't seen the Gunkhole DVD cuz it's basically impossible to find... You got the rrraaappp instrumentals?

I got the Rrrrraaaappp instrumentals and the DVD (see my post to Real-Izm...the same counts for you)

Guest petesasqwax

nice work! I burned the DVD audio from the Bastard Language Tour onto a CD for the car this morning. It's bloody lovely. Inspiring me to dust the 1210 & 05-Pro this very evening, in fact. Can't to get home and have a cut!

Guest petesasqwax

Ha - I have to admit that I was supposed to be going to the shop to top up the Gas card on the way to work and ended up driving past it completely!