The end of Serato?

Seems pretty agressive, even if you do prefer Serato, it's gonna be pretty hard to resist that kind of price surely?

In an aggressive move to consolidate its position in the DJ software market, Native Instruments today slashed the price of Traktor Pro 2, killed off entirely Duo (offering all Duo owners a free upgrade to Pro), and announced that the full Pro version of Traktor will now be bundled with all Traktor hardware, from the lowly Audio 2 upwards.

Native is calling it a “simplification” of the range to coincide with the launch of Traktor Pro 2.5, but it also effectively marks the end of expensive DJ software; the most that users will pay for Traktor is now US$89/€79 (the price of the software bought fresh from the NI store) against US$229/€199 previously, and for US$119/€99 for the Audio 2 – the cheapest hardware from NI – you also get the full version of Traktor as well.

http://www.digitaldj...t=Google+Reader

Gotta agree on the interface thing, traktor is overcomplicated in my opinion, or maybe that's just because I've used serato for a good while.

Although 99 euros for a dvs is a fuckin' steal. Maybe this will force serato/rane to be a bit more competitive as their stuff is always waaaay expensives.

I'd defo consider Traktor over Serato for 99 e

At the end of the day it's more complicated because it can do more things. i could still pretty much get it to do what I wanted to on first attempt of using it too. If I actually owned it I'd soon work out the basic functions.

It's currently 99 e vs £350 quid. Seems like a no brainer! (although there will always be people like Jimmy with more money than sense) I wonder what Rane's response will be...

For me the price makes it competitive for the first time ever -- I'd actually consider buying it. But serato still hands down rules the US market. Also serato has video which IMO is where all DJing is headed. And the more legit hardware as stated. Tractor has positioned themselves to be the new Torq. Entry level gear (but higher quality.) Torq is gonna suffer far more that Serato from this. Also, if I was a previous user nit getting an upgrade I'd be super mad. I think Traktor has more to fear from Ableton that Serato from Tractor. The only DJs I know that use Traktor either nerd out on specs or are totally whack (ie. Dopp). Congrads to NI for branding themselves as the new Torq.

For me the price makes it competitive for the first time ever -- I'd actually consider buying it. But serato still hands down rules the US market. Also serato has video which IMO is where all DJing is headed. And the more legit hardware as stated. Tractor has positioned themselves to be the new Torq. Entry level gear (but higher quality.) Torq is gonna suffer far more that Serato from this. Also, if I was a previous user nit getting an upgrade I'd be super mad. I think Traktor has more to fear from Ableton that Serato from Tractor. The only DJs I know that use Traktor either nerd out on specs or are totally whack (ie. Dopp). Congrads to NI for branding themselves as the new Torq.

So you're saying the only people who use Traktor are the ones who've looked at both and made an informed decision to go for Traktor, whereas Serato users but it because it's the market leader? How is Serato's HW more legit? You can use Traktor interfaces as...er...interfaces, whereas Serato boxes have only one function: as Serato boxes.

Not like I care or owt :p

Native Instruments are doing this because they have to. It doesn't matter how good the product is if it's not selling as well as the competition.

@Sy - The cheapest interface is the Audio 2, which is 99 Euros.

I just looked into that Audio 2 and it doesn't support time coded vinyl according to NI's promo video for the product. For time code you'd need the Komplete Audio 6 for 229 Euros - still considerably cheaper than Serato.

The complaints I've seen regarding Traktor are about the UI, not the product itself.

I'm tempted (again) to get a Komplete Audio 6 and sell Serato, cos what I get for Serato would cover the cost and then some, plus Traktor supports FLAC files. It's only the comments about the UI that are holding me back. It "being able to do more things" is not necessarily a good argument as to why it should be "harder to use".

serato does quite alot of stuff i just dont use, ie the effects and sampler sections.

i think the same can be said for traktors other functions. how many people would use it for anymore more than just playing mp3s like vinyl?

and judging what steve is saying, traktor looks like its being aimed at controllers. its ifs not timecoded no wonder is so cheap

I can't compare as I've not used Serato a lot but Traktor seems clunky to use and has a minimal part of the screen dedicated to your library/crate. The other thing with Serato is that you can see waveforms side-by-side so it's easier to cheat when beatmatching.

Traktor has auto-sync though which makes cheating even easier!

Looking at their site one more time, it seems that the cheapest way to get a sound card, the software and time coded vinyl is to go for the Traktor Scratch A6 which is 299 Euros or about £249 in UK online stores.

Looking at their site one more time, it seems that the cheapest way to get a sound card, the software and time coded vinyl is to go for the Traktor Scratch A6 which is 299 Euros or about £249 in UK online stores.

Well that changes things a bit then, I thought it was 99 euros for the full whack, vinyl and all. I'd rather get an rane sl2 second hand then a new traktor box probably for near the same price.

Steve - you could always have a go with a 'demo' ;) of traktor, vinyl free just to check out the UI. You can probably tweak it get it more serato-like but on first look it's a head fuck, so much shit, all murky grey, nightmare!

Auto Sync is fine but it assumes that human drummers drum at an exact rhythm and its BPM detection is often gash. Man gotz to be touching dem platters and pinching dem spindles when you mix funk. 4reelz.