Nicks/D-Styles turntable

Steve

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Guest Mike Reezy

proto tizzle supposed to be done in March or was it may? it started with an M.Ricci said it on AP

Gabe you bastard! you quoted me, but I dont like your addition to it.

ANyways I guess I have to think of a degenerating nickname for you now

Guest Dylan Taylor

The torque is insane on that table, I think heads are going to realize that they need hand control, that getting a better table isn't going to make them a better scratcher. It's mad for people serious about scratch music. The feel tripped me out. Good sheit.

Guest Mike Reezy

well,I guess its done. I assume you cant tell us much more.

What do you mean the torque is insane? More than a ttx?

I actually think the more torque a table has the harder it is to flex your hand control

example tears are easier on technics than on TTX

I don't understand where people get off acting like the turntable is a solitary instrument. It's mixers that do the vast majority of the work for us.

i dont agree with that..the mixer can only cut in and out...pretty damn easy i reckon...its gettin the record control that is the hard part..not only going 4wards and backwards but also at the right speed/pitch. you can do faderless scratching but not recordless scratching.

Guest Mike Reezy

technicaly you cant do faderless skratching without a mixer to preamp the phono signal.

this is example of me not being serious

Guest Mike Reezy
The torque is insane on that table, I think heads are going to realize that they need hand control, that getting a better table isn't going to make them a better scratcher. It's mad for people serious about scratch music. The feel tripped me out. Good sheit.

fuck the torque how is in use of the notational buttons and shit?

Is it already being used for tracks?

tell us everything you can without violating any legal clauses

Guest Mike Reezy

why do you say this ^^^^ and ricc says this

Ricci

theres supposed to be a prototype in april

??????

Is there like a proto-prototype that you used? Because from what Ricc said sounds like it doesnt exist yet?

Guest Dylan Taylor

why do you say this ^^^^ and ricc says this

Ricci

theres supposed to be a prototype in april

??????

Is there like a proto-prototype that you used? Because from what Ricc said sounds like it doesnt exist yet?

Ugh. I'm not lying, I cut on it when I go to Dave's place, it may not be the complete version, but it's the basic model, foot pedel and all. But not what they're going to sell. Ric probably has the same version, it doesn't have all of the pitch buttons, but has the extreme pitching, torque, and foot model.

Edited by Dylan Taylor

The footpedal pitch control deck you're talking about Dylan - is this the PDX variant with footpedal pitch?

I think the model Mike is talking about is the Melody - the chord based entirely new design deck - which as far as I can gather is still on the drawing board, possibly at prototype but only in the Vestax Japan labs.

Guest Mike Reezy
The footpedal pitch control deck you're talking about Dylan - is this the PDX variant with footpedal pitch?

I think the model Mike is talking about is the Melody - the chord based entirely new design deck - which as far as I can gather is still on the drawing board, possibly at prototype but only in the Vestax Japan labs.

I think youre right on point Giz... quick on the clear up the confusion draw.

I think Cy is talking about the Ricci Racker model plain PDX thang thang with foot pedal

ANd Ricci was talking about what I thought which is the new melodic turntable with notational pitch control and all that.

Damn I hoped it was the melodic one, I also hoped I would be able to glean some info from you on it... haahahaha I was mistaken

Guest Dylan Taylor

Word. From my understanding, talking with some dudes, I know that it's the same table, as far as torque, and pitch, minus the melody control. BTW, this shit was not suppose to get out for a minute...This "prototype"has been out for awhile, I've been cutting on it since late summer, early fall, but wasn't suppose to be found out for a minute, but whatever, some pissed employee at Vestax leaked it or whatever, Dave was dissapointed. But, it looks like it's too late.

Guest Mike Reezy

Word. From my understanding, talking with some dudes, I know that it's the same table, as far as torque, and pitch, minus the melody control. BTW, this shit was not suppose to get out for a minute...This "prototype"has been out for awhile, I've been cutting on it since late summer, early fall, but wasn't suppose to be found out for a minute, but whatever, some pissed employee at Vestax leaked it or whatever, Dave was dissapointed. But, it looks like it's too late.

Disgruntled emplyee, why was D mad about peeps knowing? If anything I think it creates interest. I'll probably get one. The shit looks insane! Has D ever mentioned anything about the retail on that shit?

PS I figured that table was gonna happen ever since I read this

A new era of design (click show/hide button)

Since scratching is becoming very musical, utilizing the pitch control as a precise feature, and not just for "sound effects" is a must. I had an idea for a musical scale turntable. Now this scale would be based on records made where tones would be all made and based from flat C note tones. You could have C note tone records, and maybe every 2 minutes on the record, the octave could change. You could even have 6 octaves per side. The turntable, instead of having number markings, would have note markings. Starting from A, B, C, D, E, F, G. Then you could even have multiple buttons, such as a sharp button, a flat button, a major button, a minor button, and even an octave button (although the octave changes could be done on wax, since an octave change is a substantial increase in speed, and after so many increases, the turntable would be close to uncontrollable). The way to design a table like this would be to make a record with every note in traditional music theory (A-G, flats, sharps, etc..) and then calculate the pitch different between each one compared to a flat C. With those results, you would then apply the pitch change difference between the notes that would go on the turntable pitch slider. Essentially, what would usually be labeled as "Zero" would be a C. That is pretty much the formula to accomplish a table like this.

Do it however it's possible, because unlike the number pitch system, in some cases, the "zero" pitch, could be an inch away from what would be the "8+" pitch (in cases of sharp notes). We are thinking in notes now, not numbers. To take it even one step further, you could make sure that the table would have 2 modes. One mode that makes note pitch shifts, then another mode which changes the turntable back into the original format, which is the number format. The table would have to be digital. This makes turntable orchestras possible, and pretty much bridges the gap between experimental and traditional music. Of course this isn't specific, but the general formula is to find the precise pitch differences between the notes and pitch changes on the table, and program the differences of pitch changes to a sliding mechanism. Make sure that each note has a click lock quartz setting (like the click lock when you set your table on zero on a tech) From there, the standard for tonally produced records would be to make them in a C note, and the C's would change accordingly to the note you select. So if you changed the slider to an F, it would be an F. If you wanted to change it to a sharp E, you would click the "sharp" button, and the pitch sliding scale would turn to sharp notes, and you could choose whatever note you wanted.

It's definitely revolutionary, and you heard it hear first. I would keep a lot of ideas downlow, but I'm not trying to market anything, I'm just trying to expand the music. If you have the means to develop this table, do it, it will change scratch music forever, I promise that. It will also allow scratch musicians to apply traditional music theory to their present styles. It might even develop a whole world of traditional music theory based artists that use untraditional mediums (turntables) which is not really my cup of tea, although, good music is good music, no matter how it's made. I know I have searched for certain notes to apply to my scratch music, and sometimes you just can't find that note. With this turntable, and specially made records, you could. You would even have the ability to compose classical music, multi track style, or with a group. It's always good to have the ability to flip a tone manually, power off, with your hand, but it's also to be able to have an detailed turntable INSTRUMENT designed to play the notes you desire. This technically is actually a pretty easy turntable to design, so I encourage any manufacture that wants to design this, to do it justice. Don't make it cheesy, make it solid, put money into it. Cause if it's wack, I'm clowning. If I had 10% of the money these major corps have, I'd be killing it now. But I don't, so I'm making SOME of my ideas public on this site.

Conclusion

All in all, I think Vestax has taken a small step with their new PDX 2000 turntable, but a bold one. I still don't think they know what the heck their doing at this moment, but this IS a step in the right direction, and I gotta give em poundage for that. If you aren't feeling their table, I honestly don't believe you are a scratch musician. Their small pitch change feature gives scratch musicians more freedom to do more things than ever before. So in conclusion, the PDX 2000 easily outweighs the 1200, plus some of my new record "The Utility Phonograph Record" is based around that turntable. Comments are welcome below.

................................................................................

................................................................................

Whats the torque and pitch on tha D/R PDX ?

You are privileged.

Guest Dylan Taylor

Disgruntled emplyee, why was D mad about peeps knowing? If anything I think it creates interest. I'll probably get one. The shit looks insane! Has D ever mentioned anything about the retail on that shit?

PS I figured that table was gonna happen ever since I read this

A new era of design (click show/hide button)

Since scratching is becoming very musical, utilizing the pitch control as a precise feature, and not just for "sound effects" is a must. I had an idea for a musical scale turntable. Now this scale would be based on records made where tones would be all made and based from flat C note tones. You could have C note tone records, and maybe every 2 minutes on the record, the octave could change. You could even have 6 octaves per side. The turntable, instead of having number markings, would have note markings. Starting from A, B, C, D, E, F, G. Then you could even have multiple buttons, such as a sharp button, a flat button, a major button, a minor button, and even an octave button (although the octave changes could be done on wax, since an octave change is a substantial increase in speed, and after so many increases, the turntable would be close to uncontrollable). The way to design a table like this would be to make a record with every note in traditional music theory (A-G, flats, sharps, etc..) and then calculate the pitch different between each one compared to a flat C. With those results, you would then apply the pitch change difference between the notes that would go on the turntable pitch slider. Essentially, what would usually be labeled as "Zero" would be a C. That is pretty much the formula to accomplish a table like this.

Do it however it's possible, because unlike the number pitch system, in some cases, the "zero" pitch, could be an inch away from what would be the "8+" pitch (in cases of sharp notes). We are thinking in notes now, not numbers. To take it even one step further, you could make sure that the table would have 2 modes. One mode that makes note pitch shifts, then another mode which changes the turntable back into the original format, which is the number format. The table would have to be digital. This makes turntable orchestras possible, and pretty much bridges the gap between experimental and traditional music. Of course this isn't specific, but the general formula is to find the precise pitch differences between the notes and pitch changes on the table, and program the differences of pitch changes to a sliding mechanism. Make sure that each note has a click lock quartz setting (like the click lock when you set your table on zero on a tech) From there, the standard for tonally produced records would be to make them in a C note, and the C's would change accordingly to the note you select. So if you changed the slider to an F, it would be an F. If you wanted to change it to a sharp E, you would click the "sharp" button, and the pitch sliding scale would turn to sharp notes, and you could choose whatever note you wanted.

It's definitely revolutionary, and you heard it hear first. I would keep a lot of ideas downlow, but I'm not trying to market anything, I'm just trying to expand the music. If you have the means to develop this table, do it, it will change scratch music forever, I promise that. It will also allow scratch musicians to apply traditional music theory to their present styles. It might even develop a whole world of traditional music theory based artists that use untraditional mediums (turntables) which is not really my cup of tea, although, good music is good music, no matter how it's made. I know I have searched for certain notes to apply to my scratch music, and sometimes you just can't find that note. With this turntable, and specially made records, you could. You would even have the ability to compose classical music, multi track style, or with a group. It's always good to have the ability to flip a tone manually, power off, with your hand, but it's also to be able to have an detailed turntable INSTRUMENT designed to play the notes you desire. This technically is actually a pretty easy turntable to design, so I encourage any manufacture that wants to design this, to do it justice. Don't make it cheesy, make it solid, put money into it. Cause if it's wack, I'm clowning. If I had 10% of the money these major corps have, I'd be killing it now. But I don't, so I'm making SOME of my ideas public on this site.

Conclusion

All in all, I think Vestax has taken a small step with their new PDX 2000 turntable, but a bold one. I still don't think they know what the heck their doing at this moment, but this IS a step in the right direction, and I gotta give em poundage for that. If you aren't feeling their table, I honestly don't believe you are a scratch musician. Their small pitch change feature gives scratch musicians more freedom to do more things than ever before. So in conclusion, the PDX 2000 easily outweighs the 1200, plus some of my new record "The Utility Phonograph Record" is based around that turntable. Comments are welcome below.

Whats the torque and pitch on tha D/R PDX ?

You are privileged.

Wouldn't you be just a little upset if something you were creating and cultivating got leaked out way ahead of time? Whatever though, too late now.

Guest Mike Reezy

Yeah, its the same reason why when my 4 yr. old is drawing a picture, she doesnt want anybody to see it until its done.

Whats the torque?