Controller One review

Steve

so what can you do on this thing that you can't do on a ddecent keyboard with pitch and modulation?  apart from play voices, obviously.

please someone enlighten me, i don't really get it...

you have a point, it does have limitations.

personally i like the fact that it can connect people who are good at cutting to a more melodic mindstate, i'm sure a lot of good will come of it, as well as a lot of shite, but thats like anything right?

seen, i guess getting the musical edge to it would be a pro, maybe influence some decent music. though having said that, i bet it will spawn a thousand more flute melodies over crappy drum beats that were all the rage for a bit! haha.

The turntable is fucking stupid.  So is tossing a record around between 3 notes.

BRN DA BE DA BE DA DA BRN DA BRN BRN BE...

Stfu.

The western world only gives us 12 notes to work with anyway.

Word, the use of chords and octaves is pointless, right?

:|

Not my point. My point is that most songs are really just a very few amount of notes anyway. You have 12 notes but half of them wont be in key. So that leaves you six notes. If you going back and forth between three notes, you have it half covered. Look at how simple juggles and cuts were in the beginning and wgere they have come. Progression is based on the artists.

when something comes along which adds rather than subtracts and there is a negative response, i have to question that response. what is it with peeps who if they cant understand its application or if at least can see how it might benefit someone else who can , why cant peeps just allow it and stfu?

what does happen is that when ever something does challange the status quo peeps extreme reaction shows how peeps think deep down, and in this case it scares me because i get to see the gulf between the so called turntablist community again. This is even more disheartening when you actualy make a living through turntablism and see it as a dissipating fad, the joke of the music industry where you can only aspire to be a background ziggazigga for a shit top of the pops band or to make a dmc final or sell a few scratch tools to the bedroom sleepers stuck in the emulating faustian loop.

Its the age old problem which only some peeps can see while others sleep, eg dj vs musician. I dont mean to be condescending but when you reach a level where dj application whether its house techno hip hop etc hits a wall built from the tricks and gimicks mustered from battle dvds and general application you realise that the soul cries to create and join the masses who produce music that you yourself spin and herald. with a hip hop dj its easier as you yourself have seen the beauty of the scratch application. and when you realise that you can invisage or experentially see the limitations posed by the traditional table when you master most techniques you end up longing for that thing which will make your expression more expressive. lots of thing have been produced to help the dj with this furtherment , loop pedals , cd tables (quickly burning scratches to cd particulalry good for experimenting with new sounds to create for scratching) . but scrathing is the one thing which has needed this tonal improvement ever since the disapointment of the qfo.

dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the battle dj mentallity, you just have to realise it isnt the be all or end all you dont need to be so embedded and that you can start making music too which doesnt rely on the same sounds and other peoples style. when you start hating on things which have been created to help you be more artistic and give you freedom of style or just plane happier you create a gulf and a distinction that shouldnt be there, turntablism includes the dj battle style as well as musical approaches. peace and dont hate , ask woody for more info on the c one. The more we agree on this the more we can see a wider supportive arena for turntable music rather than the insular technical bedroom battle wanking which means more people being able to do this for a living , means more creativity, more gigs and clubs which are truntable sympathetic means more ladies sucking on my nuts more real sex than five knuckle shuffle.

so what can you do on this thing that you can't do on a ddecent keyboard with pitch and modulation?  apart from play voices, obviously.

your right its like an analogue synth but with SCRATCHING

aye sure, but if you are scratching the record, then blatently you won't be using the super-duper pitch buttons at the same time. sure for playing locked tones and just normal notes it's better than having just a normal pitch control, but there's nothing that it can do that you can't do on a keyboard, apart from powercuts...

EDIT: and playing records. obviously...

aye sure, but if you are scratching the record, then blatently you won't be using the super-duper pitch buttons at the same time. sure for playing locked tones and just normal notes it's better than having just a normal pitch control, but there's nothing that it can do that you can't do on a keyboard, apart from powercuts...

just wait and see man, its all talk right now. let's see what happens eh?

just wait and see man, its all talk right now. let's see what happens eh?

Well said.

• 4 weeks later...

"The turntable is fucking stupid. So is tossing a record around between 3 notes.

BRN DA BE DA BE DA DA BRN DA BRN BRN BE...

Stfu. "

Hahahaha! Excellent!

I thing if you're sick at scratching and into making music with scratching then this thing is great.

That's it basicaly.

It's not great for me..... :(

Nah man, I was just playing on the fact that I'm not good at scratching or interested in making music just at of scratching, certainly not at this time. I am interested tho!

Hows it going anyway dood?

Been better mate. A LOT better in fact but that's life. A newfound singledom is gonna free up a lot of time for scratching and linking tho, so may have to come over your way at some point soon?

• 7 years later...