Controller One review

Steve

Are the six preset pitches adjustable?

If so, this could spell the end of the 33 -> 45rpm juggle as we know it... I'm pretty sure it could be damn near invaluable for drumming, too.

If you could assign, say, pitch modulation to the different buttons, now THAT I would shell out for.

What puzzles me most, though, is that you could achive pretty much the same result, in principle at least, using a 1200 and small project box with a few quids electronics. So why has no-one done it? There's never even been any kind of 'proof of concept', to my knowledge. The only reasonable explanation, in my opinion, is that it has been only recently that a reasonable number of scratchers are ready for the C1. I wouldn't know where to start with one!

Perhaps Ricci is right and this is the future of scratching... I think it's probabbly the future for a small handfull of tablists who'll wonder how they did without one. Most of us will continue cutting ahhh and freshh. Fair play to everyone, but the important thing to remember is that any expansion or diversification has got to be an inherrently GOOD THING.

I bet Woody posts a vid of him doing something outrageous on one soon.... can't wait for that

this whole forum game is one big idea factory with no nutsack

I agree with you alot 2tall. Especially on respect people that do instead of talk. But...

I think the resaon the "messageboard game" gets to you is because your a part of it. I get alot of inspiration from these boards and YES they do transalte into real creations in the REAL world.

The friendship I have with Derive and iExist, (the two other tablist in my town) has a whole lot to do with this board. Not to mention when we visited Austin, I had a friend DJ Diggla, to hang with becuase of this board. ALot of instrumentals posted and ideas debated have become backbones for some of my art/music.

Sure the message board game is one big idea factory, but whether you have the nutsack to go out and actually create, has to do with the individual. You cant just group us all into a whole, otherwise you ARE lumped in with us "nutsackless brainstormers."

Everyone says GET OFF THE WEB AND GO CREATE IN THE REAL WORLD! I say, find your inspiration where YOU can, then translate it into a "tangible medium" whether it be painting or playing spoons or whatever.

If i let only whats in front of my nose dictate my actions and thoughts, I would be very closed minded from this shitty city.

ok cool - thing is if i stopped posting on boards, you think anyone will miss me? or even care? i doubt it. That isnt being part of something, i dont want to be "part of the forum scene" - it sucks generally, theres some funny shit people put up, i just read forums between beat making sessions when im at home, check out people's ideas, some cuts.

as for "tangible mediums" - there are a handful of real world releases that have come about through forums, true you meet people, but 90 percent of this shit is hobbyists talking about shit that they actually dont know about, i.e. battles. i.e. albums, releasing music and performing live, which is fine,i dont expect someone who hasnt seen some action to understand it either, what gets me is when people go on and on and on and on for years online, and never do shit, - and theres plenty of people like that. its a shame, but what can you do, talk about it?

Truesicians came together from tehnology, we were talking on email a bit, we all would post on hiphophmusic.co.uk - when we announced we were a crew it was like "yeah yeah big deal, post a file BLAH BLAH", (you guys have it easy these days, trustme) thing is people shut up when we made moves because we brought that reality to it, all of a sudden we're all up in your house at the session eating fools up or doing instores at local record store, suddenly the same people are all smiles, no nutsacks, cool tho, i dont disrespect anyone for that either, i see they learned.

im not bothered even about the bullshit we see on boards to a point where i have a hernia, i speak out straight away and some who dont might think that my comments are the result of frustration, every time i type im calm - i'm just honest, i throw people because they meet me and they expect 10 mins of small talk to ease it in there, fuck that, life's too short.

as for controller 1, talk all you want guys - its sick, having actually used it i can confirm it. get near one and then report back at least.

ok cool - thing is if i stopped posting on boards, you think anyone will miss me? or even care? i doubt it.

Yes, I think alot of us would. Here you are a Big Fish in a small pond, walk out your front door and your a small fish in a big pond. It is all relative.

ok cool - thing is if i stopped posting on boards, you think anyone will miss me? or even care? i doubt it.

Yes, I think alot of us would. Here you are a Big Fish in a small pond, walk out your front door and your a small fish in a big pond. It is all relative.

I'm with Saint. I'm surprised you even asked that.

Guest Vekked

I'm with Saint. I'm surprised you even asked that.

I'm with 2tall, I don't even know who he is, does he scratch?

The Controller One (C1? yay, another abbreviation!) will allow people to make sounds you can't make with anything else. I'm getting to the level where I can scratch drums and melodies in my beats now, and I only practice it because it's not possible to get the same sound out of a keyboard. I can't wait til I can get my hands on one of these (maybe the next DJs for Life? best weekend *ever*!)... I see a Hong Kong OEM making an inferior model, then a Stanton/Numark type company making a rival to stop it being the controller one or the Citronic verson before they lose sales. When these fellas start making them the retail on the C1 (ooh, using it already) will come down, competition will increase, and Vestax will innovate again. I hope. I don't mess with turntables so I don't have to learn how to play keys. I mess with turntables so that I can do stuff most people can't. And the C1 playing old lang syne will *not* sound like a keyboard playing it....

One thing, does the C1 have timestretching, or does the pitch change literally come from the faster platter rotation? And are the buttons locked to a major scale? (I think that's already been asked) I hope the answers are yes/no respectively, if you could take *any* record and make *any* hit playable with the buttons then some amazing shit will start to take place. And I would love to be there- anyone who wants to throw me a bone and school me, please do. You will get infinite shouts on our mixtapes and stuff (Make A Choice! check the myspace n wait for the CD, seen?!)

And on the forum thing- I'd be on my own if it wasn't for forums. There are people in each of the towns I reside- wouldn't know about any of em if it wasn't for this. And I wouldn't know about some of the ppl that are more than just forum heads if it wasn't for forums either, like 2tall and muzzel. Actually in fact I learned a lot about turntablism if not all of it from forums, and I hope that when I get big people will be glad I still post ;)

^^which leads me onto my last point- I think sometimes responses from people come when they're drunk or high, and therefore you have to dissemble what they want to say from how they're saying it. That's how sometimes- like with Ricci Rucker- I retain respect for them (the 'so many styles'/'aaaw yeah' track on RRRap?! get out!) when occasionally their posts seem a little... bitchy. I could be wrong, the way they post could be exactly how they want you to take it. Maybe it's a test to see who's still got love. Maybe this should be my last can. Meh.

c

I think sometimes responses from people come when they're drunk or high, and therefore you have to dissemble what they want to say from how they're saying it

thats such true shit, eversince the days of text messages and forums and shit, all this political bollocks gets wrapped up in crap - did he mean that? what a cunt, blah blah why havent you texted back? are you ignoring me? what a blah blah blah theres no fucking sarcasm button on my damn keyboard either so if i told you all to stop being so fucking stupid whos to know that i dont mean fucking stupid, i mean literal, or that i dont mean all of you, i mean two of you or .. [and btw none of that was specific i just made i tup before more aggro is thrown onto teh fire]

its just some body typing....people get uptight too easily :x

The turntable is fucking stupid.  So is tossing a record around between 3 notes.

BRN DA BE DA BE DA DA BRN DA BRN BRN BE...

Stfu.

The western world only gives us 12 notes to work with anyway.

Guest Vekked
I think sometimes responses from people come when they're drunk or high, and therefore you have to dissemble what they want to say from how they're saying it

thats such true shit, eversince the days of text messages and forums and shit, all this political bollocks gets wrapped up in crap - did he mean that? what a cunt, blah blah why havent you texted back? are you ignoring me? what a blah blah blah theres no fucking sarcasm button on my damn keyboard either so if i told you all to stop being so fucking stupid whos to know that i dont mean fucking stupid, i mean literal, or that i dont mean all of you, i mean two of you or .. [and btw none of that was specific i just made i tup before more aggro is thrown onto teh fire]

fuck you, stop being so fucking stupid and post a file bitch

fuck you, stop being so fucking stupid and post a file bitch

post me a note and ill post you a file

That shits crazy dope i'm counting down the days now. My dad Pre-Orderd me one.

I can here it now

doo--dooooo---deeedoooooo-dooowooooooo-doobeee-dooooo-

Siicck

so what can you do on this thing that you can't do on a ddecent keyboard with pitch and modulation? apart from play voices, obviously.

please someone enlighten me, i don't really get it...