G.O.A.T (Breaks & Beats)

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#241 DJ Rock Well

DJ Rock Well
  • Team DV
  • 6,959 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

I do concur on an occasional bit of Deep Purple though... some classic riffs, Paice was a good drummer and once upon a time they were one of the tightest live rock bands there was.
  • danswift likes this

#242 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

Break @ 02.40

I like a bit of Deep Purple every now and again but it's a shame that Robert Plant refuses to reunite and tour with them.

It's common knowledge in the music industry that him and the bands guitarist Jeff Beck dont get along very well and Robert has also stated in the past that he doesn't want to be up on stage like some aging old rocker singing 'Layla' over and over,night after night.

It's disappointing but i fully support him in this decision.

Eh? What have Plant and Beck got to do with Deep Purple?

:p  :p  :p

Hahahaha ..

Aww come on dude surely you're not being serious ?

Everyone and his dog knows its just not the same band without Robert Plant and Jeff Beck.

Symatic on O9 May 2016-08.49 PM said
oh dan you filthy bastard why open such a nerd can of worms to a bunch of beat perverts like you find on here ???
https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

#243 DJ Rock Well

DJ Rock Well
  • Team DV
  • 6,959 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

But what about Dave Brock and Roky Erickson? Surely they were integral?
  • danswift likes this

#244 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

But what about Dave Brock and Roky Erickson? Surely they were integral?

In the beginning, maybe. 

I always liked Deep Purple when Duane Allman was with them.. it was a big mistake letting him join the Grateful Dead in my opinion and once Ian Gillan left to form Rainbow with Ritchie Blackmore from Black Sabbath it really was game over for the band.

Dave Brock is 76 years old now and as good as he once was I think he'd probably struggle a bit with the lead guitar solo in 'Here I Go Again' if he came back into the group. 

• DJ Rock Well likes this
oh dan you filthy bastard why open such a nerd can of worms to a bunch of beat perverts like you find on here ???

#245 PortableModManiac

PortableModManiac
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

I don't know if this counts as classic breaks but I somehow got this series of albums when I was subscribed to a Japanese (and other Asian countries) culture type magazine back when magazines were paper (ten years?!).

I didn't appreciate the opportunity for sampling at the time but I reheard it in a random playlist and it was like hearing dusty old vinyl break samples.

The album is called Thai Beat A Go Go and there's about four volumes I know of and the idea was to preserve the 45s released during the early Thai rock n roll scene where a lot of the tracks were covers of The Beatles and other hits but with a minimal lo-fi style. I can't find the exact tracks that are in my sample collection but this is one that I played around with.

The intro stabs and break are a James Bond cover that sound kinda cool chopped up. There's better classic covers that don't have breaks in the original but the Thai track has. Hopefully this isn't breaking any rules as they are not the original breaks but sometimes the strangest covers have the best samples.
  • DJ Rock Well and danswift like this

#246 Jam Burglar

Jam Burglar
  • Elite Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:59 PM

Somehow missed this thread.

Here's a pretty well known (but not too well known) one I found a while back:

• DJ Rock Well, danswift and PortableModManiac like this

#247 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

Break @ 4.34 

Break@ 00.53

Hopefully this isn't breaking any rules as they are not the original breaks but sometimes the strangest covers have the best samples.

Absolutely !

The second video of Johnny Frigo is a cool example of nice breaks on cover versions ... :8  

The majority of the breaks I've used in my own productions haven't used the classics for drum samples and most of the things I use tend to come from Prog Rock or Jazz Fusion type records or other alternative sources .I'm not knocking the classics at all cause they are dope records to use and I will get round to doing a few tracks at some point that only use the classic breaks just to see how hard I can possibly flip them more than anything else.

I like the fact that drum breaks can come from literally anywhere..I was listening to a shitty live stand up comedy record by some redneck or other who also had a band with him on stage at a mates house a while ago that had some badass drum grooves on the lp in between the dross. 

• PortableModManiac likes this

#248 Jam Burglar

Jam Burglar
  • Elite Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:13 PM

Here's another one I like, break at 46 seconds

#249 PortableModManiac

PortableModManiac
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:42 PM

Break @ 4.34 

https://youtu.be/geWpAIa5YWc

Break@ 00.53

Hopefully this isn't breaking any rules as they are not the original breaks but sometimes the strangest covers have the best samples.

Absolutely !

The second video of Johnny Frigo is a cool example of nice breaks on cover versions ... :8  

The majority of the breaks I've used in my own productions haven't used the classics for drum samples and most of the things I use tend to come from Prog Rock or Jazz Fusion type records or other alternative sources .I'm not knocking the classics at all cause they are dope records to use and I will get round to doing a few tracks at some point that only use the classic breaks just to see how hard I can possibly flip them more than anything else.

I like the fact that drum breaks can come from literally anywhere..I was listening to a shitty live stand up comedy record by some redneck or other who also had a band with him on stage at a mates house a while ago that had some badass drum grooves on the lp in between the dross.

Yeah I like that break. Was doing a track with a Brubeck sample I need to finish this just reminded me (not very obscure Brubeck ha but I isolated the bass and it was heavy!). Think it was that Bossa Nova track. I am the same with finding obscure things to sample. I like finding loads of covers of a track I want to work with then cut all the little stabs and breaks out then add them in with the original track.

I have no skills though so I am sounding like I am some producer when I haven't even finished one track ha. Hopefully soon I might!
  • danswift likes this

#250 DJ Rock Well

DJ Rock Well
  • Team DV
  • 6,959 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

A musical break rather than a straight drum, but I've always liked Benson's cut of Summertime. I used to loop the intro on my loop pedal (and have the cue burn to prove it!).

• broke, Jam Burglar, danswift and 1 other like this

#251 PortableModManiac

PortableModManiac
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:43 AM

The weirdest thing I ever found out about breaks is that the two favorite songs I had for a while when I was in my teens were Setting Sun by The Chemical Brothers and Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles...

I later found out they had a law suit against the Chems accusing them of stealing the break from The Beatles! I was like wow that's why I love them songs and I guess breaks became the thing that I am always drawn back to music for. Also if anyone says Ringo was a crap drummer I will calmly point them towards Tomorrow Never Knows!

Here's the Chems version

The Beatles version

I have been obsessed with that break and got the midi file eventually and stripped out the drum pattern. It's got a strange off beat timing that is not easy to use with stuff... Anyway this is enough of my life story ha. This break is special to me for some reason I can't work out...
  • danswift likes this

#252 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:49 PM

Break @ 00.00

A slice of West Coast Funk by Eddie Black Speed from 1979.
  • Jam Burglar and PortableModManiac like this

#253 PortableModManiac

PortableModManiac
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

Break @ 00.00
A slice of West Coast Funk by Eddie Black Speed from 1979.

Love that and that old warm synth like the one in summer madness. Sampling that one now ha
  • danswift likes this

#254 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

Break @ OO.00 & 01.37

Hehehe-this version is wicked!
I definitely need this one as my ringtone.
  • Jam Burglar likes this

#255 PortableModManiac

PortableModManiac
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

This is the track I was reminded of few posts up... It's kind of a break but it has bass on it and it needed chopping and working a bit to make a few loops out of. I know it's a well known track but I was playing around with looping random tracks in the Mixfader app at -50% speeds and I heard it like it was new. From 0.00 for a few seconds.

The bass seemed awesome so I did that isolation thing in Audition when you are making an a cappella using the instrumental to get clean drums and bass only loops. I probably wasted a lot of time to get a drum loop I haven't used other than the odd scratch practice...

Edited by PortableModManiac, 16 November 2017 - 12:30 PM.

• danswift likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users