Spambots getting in again

Steve

We've had a couple of spambots get on the site recently, but I've noticed them while they were in the process of posting stuff up and deleted/banned them.

If you see any obvious spam (and no - spindoctor's posts do not count :p), then please let me know in PM so I can deal with it. If it starts to become a bigger problem, I will have to change the site sign-up process to try and stop them getting in.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some fucking CUNT from Pakistan keeps signing up here using names that end in 113 in order to try and spam the board. They have to be initially doing it manually too.

If you're reading this - it will never work, so just give it up you dopey prick. It doesn't matter how many proxy servers you use. lol.

• Like 2

i think we should ask some questions as part of the sign up process.

I suggest:

How many feathers are on a Purdue chicken?

How many fibres are intertwined in a Shredded Wheat biscuit?

What does Touche et Lele Pu mean?

How many times did the Batmobile catch a flat?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We had a whole bunch of them sign up today. Someone must be doing the sign up process manually.

I'm looking into a better solution to stop them, but for now I'm manually approving new accounts. It's hard to tell sometimes if a new member is a spambot or not (until they post), so if a spambot does slip through the net, please let me know so I can get rid of it and its posts/threads. I've just bounced one out of here now that was posting up shit about buying cheap medicine. This ain't the USA motherfucker! We already get cheap medicine. :p

• Like 1

I've always done registrations manually. The Invision spam features almost always autoban the spammers, and maybe get 2 genuine new members per year who write to say they can't get in.

Unfortunately, we don't have access to the Invision spam features at the moment. We have a perpetual license for the forum software, but you need an active support license to be able to use the spam features and ours expired some time ago. There seems to be no way to pay for just the spam service on its own, otherwise I would, just to save me some hassle.

Guest petesasqwax

in my mind, spambots are not just programmes, they're the little robot things on the last of the prequel Star Wars films that climb over Anakin's ship and start taking it apart (I believe they're called "buzz droids")