Reason 3 tutorial

instead of this being a do this, do that tutorial

i'll try my best to guide you through step by step on how to insert audio into Reason and start making music!!

i understand that people use a wide selection of different software when producing, i know i do..

and some of you may already be confident using Reason

but who knows we may teach other new things!

i find Reason is a great, if not ideal, program for making music

user friendly, and good to develop ur skills and style, but also featuring effective and great sounding processes.

lets get started!!

CHOOSING YOUR SOUNDS

If you are using sound files or recording audio from your turntables into programs, such as Logic, Audition, Sound Forge, or other editing software...

please make sure that you save your audio as WAV or AIF files.

The majority of Reason is only compatible with WAV, AIF, and other Reason only formats.

For this i'll be using a drum loop, and a couple of samples from records -

repent_walpurgis.wav - 1.18MB

repent_walpurgis.rx2 - 0.70MB

chaquito orchestra - aquarius.wav - 0.85MB

fluteery.wav - 0.56MB

Ive included the chopped drum loop incase peeps havent got ReCycle

if not you really should its a great addition for beat making in Reason!!!

please check x2k's tutorial on how to use ReCycle for further information on the program.

X2K RECYCLE TUTORIAL

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/inde...showtopic=22077

REASON - THE BASICS

Ok so open Reason (im using Reason 3 - but this guide should apply to other versions)

The arrangement page should appear.

NOTE: MAKE SURE THAT YOUR AUDIO / CONTROLLER PREFERENCES ARE ALL WORKING CORRECTLY!!

Reason is split into 3 main areas -

1. The Rack - where all your devices are

2. The Sequencer - where you arrange your sounds

3. Edit Mode - where you edit your sounds

I have created a kind of 'default' arrangement that opens when i start Reason.

This basically means that instead of a blank arrangement page with no devices, i have my own custom arrangement including the -

MClass Mastering Suite Combi, Mixer 14:2, Dr Rex, and the NN19 Sampler, already created in the page ready to start making music.

Here is my Default Setup for you to download -

default setup - 0.07MB

To create your own default arrangement page simply start adding devices to the page.

To add devices Right Click in the black space on the arrangement

Or

At the top of the page click Create, and then select your device.

NOTE: I RECOMMEND THAT WHATEVER YOU DO, THAT YOU SELECT THE MIXER 14:2 FIRST, AS THIS IS THE MAIN MIXER FOR THE WHOLE ARRANGEMENT AND ALL DEVICES GO THROUGH IT!!

ALSO WHILST ON THE MIXER, IF YOU

Right Click > Create > Sequencer Track For Mixer 1

THIS WILL ENABLE AUTOMATION FOR THE MIXING DESK!

Everytime you create a device, remember to click on the black space beneath the previous device. This will ensure that the new device is automatically connected to the Mixer.

You will see that every new device name will appear on the mixer channels.

Once you have your desired set-up, Save the arrangement, i chose the name DEFAULT.rns

Now go to Preferences > General

towards the bottom it should say Default Song: Empty Rack / Built-In / Custom

Select Custom, search and choose your custom arrangement, click OK.

This is simply a good way to start your session instantly, instead of having to create devices everytime you open Reason.

But of course, its your choice wether to do this or not.

I recommend that you now set your desired Tempo and Time Signature if you havent already.

This is located to the left of the transport bar at the bottom.

Let's use 90 BPM at 4/4 Time Signature

Also i recommend that you change the Loop parameters to something smaller so that you can work with the loop. There are 2 ways to do this -

1. In the bottom right-hand corner you will see a group of small screens below the Loop On /Off section.

These show the locations of the current loop parameters. To change them either use the Up / Down arrows next to them, or click and hold on the screens and move your mouse up / down to change the parameter.

2. The other way, and probably the easiest way, is to move to Loop locators on the arrangement screen. You should see 3 tabs labeled -

L - left

P - playhead

R - right

as you move these tabs, you will notice the numerical values change on the Loop On / Off section.

I recommend for now, that we use a parameter of -

L = 1

R = 3

Which will give you a 2 bar loop.

Here is the Edit Toolbar and it's uses -

_a__b__c__d__e__f__g__h____i__j___k__l_m_n__o__p_____q_____r___s_____t_______u_v

From left-to-right the order of buttons and menus on this toolbar are as follows -

a. Edit / Arrange - switch between Edit or Arrange windows

b. Show Key Lane - hides / reveals the Keyboard

c. Show REX Lane - hides / reveals the Dr Rex lane

d. Show Drum Lane - hides / reveals the ReDrum lane

e. Show Velocity Lane - hides / reveals the Note Velocity lane

f. Show Pattern Lane - ??

g. Show Controller Lane - hides / reveals the Automation Controller lane

h. Controllers - list of all Automated Controllers

i. Show Device Controllers - reveals all Automated Controllers

j. Show Controllers In Track - hides all Automated Controllers

k. Selection Tool - used to highlight / move objects

l. Pencil Tool - draws the length and position of the sound, and also used for drawing Automation

m. Erase Tool - use to erase objects in the Edit window

n. Line Tool - used to create linear Automation

o. Magnify Tool - zoom in

p. Hand Tool - used to scroll through the Edit view by grabbing the page

q. Track Fraction - determines the degree to which the sounds are moveable

r. Snap To Grid - adjusts all parameters to 'snap' to a specified value.

s. Quantize Notes During Recording

t. Quantize Fraction - determines the degree to which the Quantize takes affect

u. Quantize Notes - locks notes into a selected time frame

v. Quantize Percentage - the amount of affect the Quantize has on the notes

Ok so now let's move onto locating your sounds for Reason.

SETTING YOUR LOCATION FOLDERS

This is a great way to organise the locations of your important sound files!

To explain this method please use this as an example -

In your arrangement page create an NN19 Digital Sampler (if you have not already) underneath the Mixer.

Click the blue folder button located just above the digital screen.

You should now be inside a browser window.

Ok so to make a folder on your computer into a Location folder,

simply drag the folder over to the left into the column labeled, Locations.

As far as i know, there is no limit to how many Location folders you can have,

I have narrowed mine down to 4 to save space into - Music, Drum Loops, Quotes, Sound Effects.

Now when you click any of your Location folders, you go directly to that folder (instead of having to browse through endless amount of folders and content).

Also your Location folders can be used with every device, however depending on the filetype you are trying to load (mp3 not compatible).

Ok so now you have set your Location folders, lets load some sounds!

LOADING / PROGRAMMING SOUNDS

If you are still inside the browser window after setting your Location folders, good, if not....get there!!

Browse your sounds until you find the one you want to load,

Im using the Chaquito Orchestra - Aquarius.wav

select it, click OK.

Your sound is now loaded into the NN19.

I prefer the NN19 over the NN-XT Sampler because its easier to use for single samples. The NN-XT is capable of controlling multiple samples, but we'll get into that another time!

On the Sequencer window, in the top left-hand corner there is a button that has 3 parallel lines coloured Red, Yellow, and Blue, in a stack.

Click this button and you will enter the Edit area.

(and alternatively press the button again to return to the Arrangement screen )

This is where you control the key, length, automation, position, and programming of your sounds.

To begin with make sure that you have the Show Key Lane button activated (you should see a vertical keyboard on the sequence window).

This button is located next to the Edit / Arrange button

The Key Lane is used to preview your sound as if you were playing it on a regular keyboard / piano.

To preview your sound just click on any note of the keyboard.

Your screen should now look something like this -

Right so you have your sound

Mine is the Chaquito Orchestra - Aquarius.wav piano sample

To use this we have to 'draw the sound in' using the Pencil Tool

So select the Pencil Tool from the Toolbar

And on the Edit screen just click / drag across to the edge of the Loop bars, like this -

Note that however long you make this object, that is how much of the sound you will hear.

If you make the object 1/2 of the above length, you will only hear 1/2 of the sound.

After selecting the correct key and using the Tune and Fine Tune functions you can adjust the sound to fit the Tempo

Luckily for us, this particular sample doesnt need tuning and should loop ok as it is on note B on the Keyboard.

-

At this point you may want to play around with the different settings and features on the NN19 to get the desired sound that you want!!

Hit Play and the sound should play in a 2 Bar loop.

Right, let's continue onto the Dr. Rex Loop Player

Make sure that you are in the Dr. Rex Edit screen, like this -

NOTE: THE DR. REX ONLY SUPPORTS Rx2 FILES

Again using the Browser search for your loop

Im using the repent_walpurgis.rx2

ReCycle is an amazing program, simple yet very effective!

It chops your drum loops into sections that are then recognised as separate tracks on Dr. Rex.

Similar to the Keyboard in the NN19, there are Slices that allow you to preview each sound.

You can also use the preview button to hear the loop

Select the Pencil Tool and start to draw on the Edit screen where you want the snare, kick, hi-hats, etc....

Remember the longer you make the block, the longer of the sound you will hear (if that makes sense?)

It all depends on what kind of timbre your going for really.

Above the drum kit plays as - drrex loop - 1.35MB

3 - Snare

4 - Hi Hat 1

6 - Hi Hat 2

8 - Hi Hat 3

9 - Kick Low

10 - Kick High

I tend to make the objects long to get the most out of the original reverb on the samples

And then add digital reverb over the top later

Now let's add the final sample using the NN19

Create a new NN19

Browse for the file, in my case fluteery.wav (i have no idea why i named it that)

Click OK

Mute the drums so that you can clearly hear both of the NN19 samples

and play the track

Go into Edit view and using the vertical Keyboard find a key that best matches the playing sample

I found that middle E is close enough, but you can use the Fine Tuning to get it closer if you like.

With this sound we'll use the Filter function to give it more of a background presence.

Using the Filter Frequency decrease the slider to about 71

And also decreasing the Amp Level to about 81.

This is a very quick and simple process but pretty effective.

Ok so to end with i thought we might as well add some bass!

I like to use the Malstrom Graintable Synthesizer to create deep sub basslines

But instead of loading a pre-made bass patch into it, you can use the default 'Initialize Patch' which produces a sine wave capable of key changes

Create a Malstrom Graintable Synthesizer then go into Edit view

As before Mute the drums so you can only hear the samples

and try to match the bass to the samples using the preview Keyboard

i found that a low C Sharp best matches

Create your own personal bassline, then play the whole track together!

and it should sound something like this! -

trackk - 1.35MB

Of course i expect you to use your own creativity when producing and come across your own methods.

This is a very quick way to get you on your way producing.

Below are some extra areas that can help using the interface, add a more professional sound to your production!

GROUPING

I never used to use the Group function, but over the last few years i can't see how i got by without it!

It basically makes your arrangement look from this -

To this -

it makes actually looking at your arrangement much more manageable and easier to find certain parts quickly.

To Group simply click / drag & highlight the parts you wish to Group.

then Edit > Group.

or Ctrl > G (PC)

or Apple > G (Mac)

Grouping whilst in Edit view gives more accurate group parameters, but sometimes can become frustrating when copying in the Arrangement view.

AUTOMATION

Automation is fantastic, i am now in love with it!!

It allows you to control multiple areas of your sound using pre-programming techniques.

Sounds complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it opens new doors to way you produce music.

Lets start by addressing the possibilities of automation on just the Mixer.

PLEASE NOTE: THAT AUTOMATION ON THE MIXING DESK WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY CREATED THE 'SEQUENCER TRACK FOR MIXER 1' DESCRIBED EARLIER!!

On Channel 1 i have the Chaquito Orchestra - Aquarius.wav piano sample, so for example, let's say i want to Pan this 100% to the left for the 1st bar, and 100% to the right for the 2nd bar.

I simply Right Click on the Pan rotary knob on the Mixer, and click Edit Automation

It should then take you directly to the Edit view and activate the Controller Lane button utilising the Channel 1 Pan automatically.

Next, you select either the Pencil or Line Tool from the Toolbar (i recommend the Line Tool for an even and gradual Pan effect)

and starting from the bottom left at -64, click / drag the cursor diagonally right until you reach the top right at 63 within the Loop parameters.

You should have something that looks like this -

Play the loop through and then press Stop.

Now notice that on Channel 1 on the Mixer there is now a green box around the Pan rotary knob.

This means that there is now Automation on that particular control.

And also when you play the track again, the Pan rotary moves in real-time.

And it should sound like this -

pan automation - 1.35MB

There is a lot of fun to be had with Automation and you can achieve some great surround effects.

Of course Automation does not only apply to the Pan rotaries, it can be used in multiple different locations at the same time!

This next picture demonstrates the amount of Automation that can be achieved just on the NN19 alone -

All you need to do is Right Click on the control you want to automate and click Edit Automation.

Not all controls can be Automated, but most of them can.

To clear any Automation, just Right Click on the automated control and select Clear Automation.

I've just found another 'cool' little shortcut for Automation

Instead of Right Clicking on the control, then selecting Edit Automation..

you can -

Hold the ALT key then click on the control you wish to Automate!

its that simple..

ROUTING DEVICES

This can get tricky sometimes but once understood you can use it to your advantage.

There is no real need to manually route devices together, unless you are attempting something extra special!!

Reason normally automatically routes devices itself

For example, let's say that i want some reverb on my drum loop.

Let's use the RV7000 Advanced Reverb

On the Dr. Rex / right click > Create > RV7000 Advanced Reverb

You can now adjust the controls on the RV7000 to achieve your desired reverb effect.

The Dr Rex is now routed through the Reverb device and then through to the Mixer.

This can be seen here -

To switch between Rear and Front View -

Options > Toggle Rack Rear / Front View

or

press the Tab key on your keyboard

There is a method of routing the signal back on itself to create effects, which can be applied to most devices.

For this example we shall use the NN19 LFO Modulation Output to create a Gate effect.

On your NN19 switch to the Rear View.

Notice that you have various inputs and outputs for possible routing.

From the LFO Output - click / drag (a cable should appear) over to the Gate Input Amp Envelope on the right -

If you play the track you will notice that the sample is playing with gaps in the audio.

To control this effect further, switch back to Front view and locate the LFO panel -

(You do not need to route the LFO if you just want to use the Destination and Amount functions)

If you press the Sync button the LFO will react to the Rate rotary which controls the fraction at which the Gate occurs.

The higher the fraction number, the faster the gate works.

The Destination button controls where the signal is being sent -

OSC - modulates the pitch

FILTER - modulates filter values

PAN - modulates panning values

The Amount rotary controls how much of that signal is sent to the Destination.

If the Amount rotary is at 0 then there is no signal being sent to the Destination

If you turn it hard to the right to 127 then the whole signal is sent to the selected Destination.

The Waveform button selects which shape the Gate takes, for example the top one that looks like ^

This waveform will attenuate from side to side (left to right)

For example follow these settings -

RATE - 1/8

DESTINATION - OSC

AMOUNT - 50

WAVEFORM - (the half-square looking one, third from the bottom)

Now you may be thinking "this sounds kinda sharp / jagged"

So now go over to the left on the NN19 there is the AMP panel -

Increase the Release - R - to about 64

This basically keeps the Gate parameters but increase the amount of release for each gap.

This is very brief walkthrough on just one element of routing devices, have a play around, experiment and you should come up with some very interesting sounds!

If anything is still unclear, re-read this section or ask me on the thread.

well thanks for reading if u did

im going to keep updating this guide, as and when i learn and come across new features

and also with specific device specs and operations / uses

i hope this guide can at least help one person!

cheers - happy producing!

• 1 month later...

Here are a few tips, shortcuts, and some great tricks that help when producing using Reason 3

TIPS & TRICKS

AUTOMATION

If you checked the Automation section in the tutorial, you may have noticed that some devices do not allow automation, like this where the option is grayed out -

to apply Automation to a device that doesn't allow it, you have to Create a Sequencer Track for that device, just like we did with the Mixer at the beginning of the tutorial.

For example with the Scream 4 device, you simply -

Right Click > Create > Sequencer Track for Scream 2

it will create an Channel for the Sequencer Track on your Stack screen below the device it is connected to

so in this case, the Scream unit is connected to the DrRex Loop Player so the Sequencer Track shows up underneath the DrRex -

which should now allow use of Automation for that device, and any other device that you create a Sequencer Track for -

:)

dude that's an insane post. i used to use reason 3 a lot...but since I switched to mac, I couldn't be bothered to search the internet for cracked versions. I would seriously enjoy this as a pdf...as I only skimmed through the post quickly...looks so dope tho with all the images and shiiiiz. dope one bro and thank you very much.

pee.z