I got myself a Maschine MK3

Dan

Only had a few hours on it but i'm very impressed so far, I've had a MK1 since 1.6, didn't bother with MK2 or the Studio

It feels as well made if not better than push 2.

You really can use it without the mouse and keyboard (a part from naming your saves/tracks etc) This is HUGE for me!

I'm really happy with it so far, it feels like a very creative tool again.

I really like Push 2 and i thought with the updates it's getting with Live 10 it would feel much more integral to Live than just a controller but it doesn't. Maschine MK3 almost feels like an instrument.

One negative i have found is that in some modes one of the screens is woefully under utilized

• Like 3

I'd guess the interface is better than the Z2, but maybe not? The A10/6 were definitely better.

The other thing I hate is how overly bright many of the preset sounds are Maschine (and most other modern sound/sample packs).

I can forgive the new sounds, but when they try to 'modernise' the old drum machines it winds me up. Harry Love's limited Bang on a Drum V1 was just full of different drum machines recorded straight through analogue desks into a computer to try and preserve their original sound as much as possible and the difference between them and pretty much all current software options is laughable.

I haven't tried the sound card yet, I'm going to try it over Christmas (can't be arsed to replug everything)

Rock Well - have to tried the Gold Baby stuff? it's really nice!

Dooban - won't be selling it, I like to switch between Maschine and Live

Dan - yes indeed, been well aware of their stuff for a few years now and I agree, you can't really fault it. These days I'm mostly into making my own drums or using breaks, but I've had some of their free samples over the years and if I had the money and inclination to buy sample packs, they've be top of the list.

Thing is though, ERRRYBODY's getting those same sample packs, especially when all these YouTubers post videos about the latest snack packs.

Dan, so did you have to purchase a separate sound card then, or was it included? Also, how do you like the sound when mashing drums with headphones on?

• Like 1

Thing is though, ERRRYBODY's getting those same sample packs, especially when all these YouTubers post videos about the latest snack packs.

It's like in the 1990's when Time & Space released all those fucking shitty sample cd's that cost about £50 each which everyone rushed out to buy thinking they were gonna be the next Chemical Brothers (who sucked ass to begin with) or whoever was popular that particular week and then acted all surprised and bewildered when they made tracks that all sounded exactly the same as each other...fucking toolheads.

Some of us actually went out digging for records to sample and got dirty fingernails in the process, god forbid.

I fucking hate sample cd's.

• Like 1

As much as I firmly believe any sound source is fair game, personally, if I use anything from sample packs it's a very minor part of each beat or twisted beyond recognition.

TBH any time I've based a beat on soundware or presets it's come out sounding like a product demo song. Not that it's impossible to make something good like this, I personally can't. Plus finding my own samples is part of the fun for me.

• Like 2

Love good sample packs, they are very very rare though, and NI are pretty low down the ladder to be honest, the good stuff in Komplete pretty much all comes from 3rd parties, and to this point i have never found a good set of samples from NI for Maschine, they are over produced and under edited.