Controllers with pads

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

I've decided that I've had enough of moving audio regions around with a fucking mouse to make beats, so I've been looking at USB midi controllers to use with Logic X.

Main requirements are bashing out tracks, possibly taking out on the road and just general offline jamming. Don't reeeeeally want to go over £150 if I can help it.

Any recommendations? I've been looking at the Akai MPD226, which looks a bit tasty. Anyone ever used one of these? If so, any gripes? I seem to remember people saying that Akai have gone to shit since InMusic took over.

Thanks in adv.

• danswift likes this

Holy shit. Not even Bitches With Whips prepared me for that. 

#2 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

I've decided that I've had enough of moving audio regions around with a fucking mouse to make beats

Hurrah ! 

Death to the computer mouse !

Sorry, never used any Akai kit except for rack samplers so can't recommend stuff.

Fuck it.....just get a SP -404 (or two preferably) a mini disc recorder,dust off the tape deck and you'll be good to go my dude !!.... :p  :p

• joeClockwork likes this
Symatic on O9 May 2016-08.49 PM said
oh dan you filthy bastard why open such a nerd can of worms to a bunch of beat perverts like you find on here ???
https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

#3 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

Haha, I thought you might say that! I actually have two of those things, after my mate donated me his MDS-PC3 deck.

Nah, I'm just looking for a USB controller at the moment...

• danswift likes this

#4 Dubba Dutchdj

Dubba Dutchdj

Daves cuttin stare

• Elite Member
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

MPD226 looks like a dope bit of kit but Ive got no experience using it... Joe have you got an iPad? the Logic remote app by Apple looks like a really good utility tool for ditching the mouse. 

• joeClockwork likes this

ETSG 3 is dope, It made the watch words for last nights cuts in Rye - "Fuck attack"

#5 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

MPD226 looks like a dope bit of kit but Ive got no experience using it... Joe have you got an iPad? the Logic remote app by Apple looks like a really good utility tool for ditching the mouse. 

No mate, unfortunately I haven't. My wife has but I'm not sure how keen she'll be on me hijacking it :)

At this rate I'm thinking I might just cop an MPD226 on pay day, unless anyone chimes with any advice before then.

Cheers

#6 Dubba Dutchdj

Dubba Dutchdj

Daves cuttin stare

• Elite Member
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

Akai must have a have a decent template for MPD226 logic control, for its price tag I can't think of any better for what your after.

Upon suggesting logic remote to you Ive jus installed the iPhone version which also controls GarageBand (what I currently use for linear audio cut&paste edits as Maschine is a nightmare for that stuff), iPhone version of logic remote only covers % of the iPad app features but for what Im using Garageband for the iPhone app seems really dope in the short play Ive had, total control of loop cycles, project transport controls etc... basically all the shit I now don't have to use the mouse for.

However Im not gonna bum apple to hard..... my 4th gen iPad jus misses out on ios11 which means know logic remote, fuckers!

ETSG 3 is dope, It made the watch words for last nights cuts in Rye - "Fuck attack"

#7 DJ Rock Well

DJ Rock Well
  • Team DV
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

Get the MPD mate. There will definitely be plenty of Logic templates out there for it too.

• djdiggla likes this

#8 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

Akai must have a have a decent template for MPD226 logic control, for its price tag I can't think of any better for what your after.

Upon suggesting logic remote to you Ive jus installed the iPhone version which also controls GarageBand (what I currently use for linear audio cut&paste edits as Maschine is a nightmare for that stuff), iPhone version of logic remote only covers % of the iPad app features but for what Im using Garageband for the iPhone app seems really dope in the short play Ive had, total control of loop cycles, project transport controls etc... basically all the shit I now don't have to use the mouse for.

However Im not gonna bum apple to hard..... my 4th gen iPad jus misses out on ios11 which means know logic remote, fuckers!

Damn. Apple are bastards like that.

@Rocky: sold - I've been reading up and watching some vids. Looks like it does all I need.

Cheers all.

#9 Mike-L

Mike-L
  • Elite Member
  • 868 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:42 AM

If you just want pads + a few knobs. The MPD218 is pretty good and fairly cheap. I have one and the pads are nice and responsive. I assume they are the same pads as on the other models.

#10 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

Cheers Mike. I think I'm going to go for the MPD226.

Now I just need to find time to use the damn thing!

#11 Dan

Dan
  • Elite Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

Dunno if it's of interest to you but I've got a MK1 Maschine that i don't need anymore, I'll have to double check but i think i'll have the licence for the software as well. say £80? + P&P (that's with decksaver) 

• danswift likes this

#12 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

Thanks anyway mate but I went and ordered an MPD about 10 mins after my last post!

That sounds like a good deal though man. I'd get it up on the Sales & Trades section if you're looking for a quick sale.

#13 Flexinoodle

Flexinoodle
  • Elite Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

Apparently new MPDs at NAMM next week, but could be rumour.

That's me in the corner ? I said RME not REM dickhead !!

#14 djdiggla

djdiggla
  • Elite Member
  • 18,859 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

I use an Akai APD but the MPD is tight and has more of a MPC feel which is sounds like is what youre looking for.

Also, Windex is not 'streak free' despite the claims of the manufacturers of the product which state otherwise.

#15 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

I use an Akai APD but the MPD is tight and has more of a MPC feel which is sounds like is what youre looking for.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm after. Moving audio regions around with a mouse is the most frustrating way to make music. It's why I stopped making beats and stuck to scratch based music.

• JHouse likes this

#16 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:46 PM

Moving audio regions around with a mouse is the most frustrating way to make music. 

How people have the patience to be able to do this is beyond me in the first place.

Squashy fat drum pads or even a midi keyboard controller to make stuff with at the very least ..but a mouse ? no fucking chance ,fuck that.

Fair play to anyone who can tho but its not for me personally,I have tried it once for some edits I wanted to make of some old jam tracks I'd recorded but I found the whole process so tedious and it just completely did my head in over the sheer amount of time it took to do really simple shit that would take 30 seconds to do with a sampler,some pads or a keyboard.

Definitely not for me i'm afraid

• JHouse likes this
oh dan you filthy bastard why open such a nerd can of worms to a bunch of beat perverts like you find on here ???

#17 Flexinoodle

Flexinoodle
  • Elite Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

Try retiming a 16 track live drum recording without keyboard and mouse, it definitely has its uses.

That's me in the corner ? I said RME not REM dickhead !!

#18 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

Try retiming a 16 track live drum recording without keyboard and mouse, it definitely has its uses.

Yeah, I'll still be doing this. Any hits that don't land where I want them can be tidied up with the mouse.

My current workflow is:

• Sample into Logic from vinyl
  • Spend ages getting the loop running in time
  • Chop up the audio and nudge any bits that don't fall on the drums
  • Envelope all the audio regions so there's no clipping
  • Mix and arrange
  • Decide that it sounds crap and give up.

It's fucking miserable. It's actually less hassle to make scratch music, which is notoriously fiddly.

• JHouse and danswift like this

#19 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:58 AM

Try retiming a 16 track live drum recording without keyboard and mouse.

No thank you... :|

#20 broma

broma
  • Elite Member
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, I'll still be doing this. Any hits that don't land where I want them can be tidied up with the mouse.

My current workflow is:

• Sample into Logic from vinyl
  • Spend ages getting the loop running in time
  • Chop up the audio and nudge any bits that don't fall on the drums
  • Envelope all the audio regions so there's no clipping
  • Mix and arrange
  • Decide that it sounds crap and give up.

It's fucking miserable. It's actually less hassle to make scratch music, which is notoriously fiddly.

Have you tried Ableton Live? It's much easier to do most of that than in Logic IMO, especially looping, chopping, enveloping. Some people really don't get on with it but might be worth a go on the demo to see if you like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users