Sennheiser HD-25's as monitor headphones?

would this be a good idea, production wise? my currrent speaker set up most definately wont be a good idea.

I've also got some AKG k181's lying around somewhere, would these be better?

I love those HD-25s but in general you shouldn't monitor with headphones. I do, unfortunately, because I do stuff when everyone is asleep so can't really turn it up anyways... And for monitoring, I'd use an open ear design over a closed (unless you are recording vocals or something obviously). I use two different pairs of open-ear cans. Sennheiser HD 555s are my favorite but the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is also a great pair. The 555s have better bass reproduction but the 700s are more comfortable and probably more detailed in the mids. Some people swear by Grado, but I've never tried them and both those pairs are supposed to be comparable if not better unless you are getting the all wood Grados. Also Grados are not really for the type of music we listen to and have pretty shit bass from what I hear.

I've always found hd25s sound too forward, they're not that nuanced. I think it's because they're small cones that push into your head so much. That said they're very very clear from a frequency balance perspective...

• Like 1

It's quite literal - open back is a meshed back so sound escapes, whereas closed back like the 25s forces sound to only come out of the side pointing at ur ears...I actually wrote a free book u can download from my site with this kinda info in it if you're interested... ;)

Guest Symatic

i like hd 25-s for djing. dirks right though, some open back headphones will sound more 'real'. i never liked any grados i listened to, even their £1000 ones, i think they have too much treble and not enough bass but each to their own.

^^Thats what I have heard. That's why I like the 555s. They are pretty nice all around and even better if you use a pre-amp (but not necessary).

Guest Symatic

yeah good preamps are a good idea for open back headphones. but you've got a xone 02 dont you dirk? the headphone amp in that is pretty good

Yeah, they sound nice on that. I rarely use my preamp but when I do it's audio coming out of my laptop. Seems fine coming out of my interface.

i have those and use em alot on a night for producing, theyre decent. i wouldnt do everything on those headphones but if you have speakers to switch between and compare then theyre a lovely additional set of monitors to run a mix through for cross comparison

Fuck no, hd25 are great djing headphones and I like to use them when recording vocalists but don't try to mixdown in them. Check out Beyerdynamic DT-990pros (or 880s or 770s) and Sennheiser 280 (and I think 260s). Also the new KRK ones are supposed to be pretty good so I hear.

hd25s are loud and punch but far from flat and the bass is crap and to top it off the are not comfortable when wearing for extended periods of time, the DT-990s I could comfortably wear for my entire life.

• 9 months later...
Guest petesasqwax

As most people gave said - I liked the HD25s for DJing but they're not the ones for mastering. For those people who are completely against the idea of mastering in headphones, though, it's probably worth mentioning that No Sleep Nigel does that all the time and swears by his pair of HD650s. I got a pair on his recommendation and I trust them completely. I know the ins and outs of "never ever master on headphones" that people like to bang on about but I get a far truer sound on the HD650s than I do from my Kef Cadenzas - purely because of the shape of the room I produce tracks in (which is an odd, boxy but not square room with most of one side completely open).

For $500 I'd hope they were good enough to master! I'm interested tho... Can't turn up too loud anymore at night with the kids sleeping. I been using open-ear like those HD650s but not nearly on that price level.

Guest petesasqwax

I've been in the "kids sleeping" boat for years and years mate - I know exactly what you're saying. it's been headphone production tactics since the late 90s but regardless of how good the HD650s are, I always prefer to give things a listen on a few different things the morning after (regular hi-fi speakers, car stereo, regular headphones etc.)

• Like 1

Guest broke

As most people gave said - I liked the HD25s for DJing but they're not the ones for mastering. For those people who are completely against the idea of mastering in headphones, though, it's probably worth mentioning that No Sleep Nigel does that all the time and swears by his pair of HD650s. I got a pair on his recommendation and I trust them completely. I know the ins and outs of "never ever master on headphones" that people like to bang on about but I get a far truer sound on the HD650s than I do from my Kef Cadenzas - purely because of the shape of the room I produce tracks in (which is an odd, boxy but not square room with most of one side completely open).

I was about to say "don't use headphones for mastering", but I like the sound of these HD650s.

EDIT: ouch, the price

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, I always liked the comfort aspect of them. After a fair few hours they become just uncomfortable enough to encourage me to take a break, which I always see as pretty good thing, really.

• 1 year later...