Cobian Backup 10

Steve

Cobian Backup 10 is free backup software for Windows based machines, from XP up to and including Windows 7. It's a fully featured program considering it's free and it offers full, incremental and differential backups, scheduling, compression options and so on.

The backup built into Windows works OK, but I've found it quite slow. I also don't like the way it stores the backups. I use the software built into Windows 7 to make an image of my system drive, and I use Cobian to backup my data drive. Once you've done the initial backup, if you use the incremental or differential options and you backup fairly regularly, it doesn't take long at all.

Download it here if you want to give it a go: -

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

If you don't know what the different backup types are: -

1. Full backup - Always use this option the first time you make a backup as it backs up everything in the drives/folders you've selected.

2. Differential backup - Backs up only the files that have changed (or been added) since the last full backup.

3. Incremental backup - Backs up only the files that have changed (or been added) since the last backup (of any type).

What I do is run 1 initially to backup everything I've selected, then I just run 3 once a week.