Danswift's Weird And Wonderful World Of Hi-Fi (Mega Thread)

I love reading and learning about this kind of stuff.

The first two are obviously from the 1970's, the Bang & Olfusen is circa 1982.

Weltron '2005' UFO Series with 8 track cartridge .The later '2007' model replaced the eight track with a standard tape player .

The design was inspired by Stanley Kubrick's 2001.

CyugRna.jpg

Rosita Stereo Commander Luxus made in West Germany 1974/5.

One of these was up for sale recently at £1.699.

jL9llpf.jpg

Bang And Olfusen Beocentre 7700.

Very advanced for its time the remote terminal supplied with the 7700 had control buttons for access to all primary recording and playback functions and three digital read out panels which confirmed your instructions every time you pressed a button.

A5OxHL6.jpg. Mr663Ee.jpg

LcczKPx.jpg

• Like 2

tFizhhC.jpg

I meant to include this in the first post but I couldn't edit it properly lol.

This is definitely one for Sy here !

The Marantz 7700 (same model number as the Bang & Olfusen weirdly enough) from 1978- a one-off prototype reel to reel with a modded tape head (by the people at Marantz that is)to record in both 2 & 4 track capacities .

These never made it to production unfortunately, Marantz were attempting to enter the reel to reel business at the time by all accounts (just as it was winding down) but some lucky fucker managed to find this on e-bay a while ago in pretty beat up condition and restored the machine.

Its since been sold on again apparently .

Guest Symatic

nice reels brah :)

i really dont need any more tape decks but i also really want to make a tape delay out of a Tandberg, they have those badass nixie tube style VU meters which glow iridescant turquoise.... thats a good reason to buy something right?

my ZK120 has the same thing but doesnt do delay unfortunately... you can peep it here.... along with my wack tape cuts

back to weird wonderful hifi though.....

my mate showed me this the other day, a tone arm that avoids tracking error, keeping the stylus lines up exactly with the groove through the whole record.... kinda cool

utK8zRv.jpg

• Like 1

Those are some fantastic devices.

I've always wanted a sharp rp-114 or vz 2000. The 2000 is a record player boom box and the 114 is a home stereo record player that plays both sides.

8314674224_70b0ed28cd_b.jpg

I would also love one of these weird changers.

I actually do own one of these. Found it at the Goodwill for $15 and haven't used my Nak since!

zynxmi0qo4cy.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

hahaha just saw dirks sig. beautiful.

yeah that sharp is fucking awesome, I fixed the belt on one once and the customer was totally up for throwing it away if i couldnt replace the belt (!!!)

I fixed it and asked if he would consider selling it but he then looked em up on ebay and wanted loads of money for it so I passed.... i wish i was an asshole and just said it didnt work hahaha.

It was fun while it lasted tho. (fucking heavy, mind!)

• Like 2

Assuming you use the Sharp like any other boombox (i.e. Radio Raheem style), surely you're asking for needle skippage and a fucked record?

Good thing it has a cassette deck for on the goooo! :8 :8 :8

That's awesome. Does the record protrude out when not in use or you have to remove it all together to fold up?

You have to remove the record, when you psh the deck in a little panel slides up to cover the front.

I am seriously considering firing it up to Rasteri and getting him to stick a fader in it just for the pure stupidity of it haha

• Like 3

zCsZeHo.jpglCgz3Wb.jpg

Mitsubishi Z20 vertical record player, tape deck and radio from 1983.

Years ago i bought a pair of heavy duty bass bins and some top horns from a dude who made his own speakers as a sideline and he also did repair work for one of the Reggae soundsystem guys who I was friends with at the time.

He had the Z20 just sat in his workshop and he chucked it in with the speakers as it was of no use to him anymore although it actually worked perfectly.

I had it as my kitchen stereo for playing tapes for a couple of years and I think I only ever used the record deck on it twice at the most ..I thought the thing was a bit naff tbh and it was heavy too ,it must have easily weighed around 30 lbs or so.

I ended up leaving the Z20 behind when I moved out to go and live with the missus ..they're probably worth about a million pounds to hipsters now.

Then again maybe not.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

just orderd one of these as a portable tape delay experiment....

if i could get my hands on a japanese version i think they say "voice matic" on the top which is asking to be edited :)

anyway, its an interesting option for what im trying to do as it already has a bucket brigade delay circuit inside as part of its voice-activated recording feature.... (BBD circuites are in most old delays, sony used it to store audio for a split second whilst the motor starts up, then transfers a delayed signal to tape from that point on, which is how you could get voice-activated record mode) .....potentially loads of room for moddage, but mostly i want it cos it does the delay time i want as standard because of the layout of the heads, i can then hopefully mod it more in future....

i think it qualifies for this thread cos of the badass design and VU meter :)

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

i've always liked meridian's stuff, we used to have some of their DSP 600's, the middle ones in this pic, in the shop i worked at and they fucking kicked when you turned em up.... super clean sound too.

DLbcYIc.jpg

I lucked out when someone traded in some broken Meridian 200 series for a shitty Bose "trade in your old hi fi and we give you a discount on shitter kit" deal.... anyway, i only had to spend £100 getting the amps fixed up by the original engineer guy that made them in the first place, and they sound sick.

DimLqq6.jpg

I have them powering Harbeth studio monitors (which just look like boring speakers but sound awesome). The Pre has a really good phono amp in too, which you can switch to handle expensive moving coil cartridges if thats your thing, sounded great with a technics 1210 modded with a rega arm and a nice cart (cant remember what it was....)

the insides of the power amps just have 2 fuck-off capacitors and a fat transformer..... the heat sinks are just sticking out the front looking like darth vader's teeth and they hide the power lights in the grills to look cool

OVZoQKH.jpg

The CD player never got fixed, cos they used a fancy method of moving the laser in and out that was impossible to fix, but the mechanism always looked sick, like a big fat slab of metal holding your CD... and the actual CD player parts, laser, DAC etc, were all the best Philips parts which were aparently some legendary CD player design..... anyway I never listen to CD's, but the CD and Preamp come as a pair and share a power supply so It just has to sit there now, but in this pic you can see (L to R) another bit of kit (some sort of DAC?) sat next to the CD transport and preamp boxes

MUIj0C7.jpg

• Like 1