my other ttx just died!

man the numark ttx turntable are a pain in the arse.

not so long ago one of my tuntables went crazy and started spinning like a dervish.

after a bit of humming and harring, i traced the problem to the platter movement sensor and ordered a few spares.

i'm still waiting for the spare platter movemnet sensors to arrive, and my "good" deck decided to do the exact same thing as the last one.

at least i know what it is, but if the little fucker had the dignity to have a diferent problem i could have at least put together one working turntable.

i suppose for the time being i'll have to practice finger drumming or make beats or some other dull shit.

have fun telling me i should have got technics........

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

I had to replace the motor in both of my TTXs within a week of each other after I'd had them for about 5 years, costing >£100 each. I later found it was just the current-sense resistor on each motor board, which would have cost like 20p to replace.... oh well.

Coming up to the 10 year mark now...

I had to replace the motor in both of my TTXs within a week of each other after I'd had them for about 5 years, costing >£100 each. I later found it was just the current-sense resistor on each motor board, which would have cost like 20p to replace.... oh well.

is this fault/repair documented anywhere? i've been thinking of creating a simple web page bringing all the ttx fixes together in the same place. for future generations of dead ttx owners. and so i don't need to re-google everything the next time i have a ttx die.

the motor chip and the platter sensor are well documented but the movement sensor isn't. when i get mine working again i'll doccument the process.

my decks are the infamous ttx1 , so none of this suprises me in the slightest. i'd be miffed if i had a shiny new ttxusb.

maybe it was all a confusion at numark, they wanted to appeal to the turntablists, so they made a deck that "breaks"

I should have offered mine on here , but I threw my ttx1's out in the trash.

should have sold them on ebay for parts, there seems to be quite a market for ttx spares.

that must have been tremendously satisfying. "fuck you ttx, out of my life!" "in the rubbish with you" *crash*

or maybe more like dumping an annoying girlfriend. " sorry ttx we weren't made for each other, i think we'll be happier if we go separate ways, by the way, don't call me"

Guest rasteri

is this fault/repair documented anywhere? i've been thinking of creating a simple web page bringing all the ttx fixes together in the same place. for future generations of dead ttx owners. and so i don't need to re-google everything the next time i have a ttx die.

Not to my knowledge - I just noticed that after I'd replaced the motor boards the current sense resistor was burnt out. It's possible that they were burnt out by the power transistors shorting or something, but even if they all had to be replaced too we're still only talking like £10 to repair.

• 2 weeks later...

i totally fixed those motherfuckers!

it was indeed the optical movement sensor on the platter encoder. the new encoder cost about 10€ each.

actualy one of the decks just spontaneously started working again, i think i had misaligned the sensor when i took it out to swap with the other deck, i though this might be the case so i gave it a solid whack on the side and hey presto!

so i still have a spare optical sensor AND a spare motor controler chip, this means that the next problem i have will be something the interwebs haven't heard about yet.

feeling smug about my mastery of ttx1 repair i'll try and get around to writing a web page about fixing them. no promises about when though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello,

After pressing play button, my TTx started to spin faster and faster.

I've changed the Optical Platter Sensor PCB Assy (TWPC02P003L01) and the High Sensing Accuracy OPIC Photointerrupter IC (GP1A35RV).

Since, the TTX starts immediatly to spin, faster and faster, just after pressing Turn On and play/Pause doesn't act.

Do you have any idea to solve this problem ?

• 1 year later...

I´m sitting on 4 broken TTX´s and had a website written down with detailed instructions in my phone for more than a year but never found the time and muse to start working on them. Just checked again and the instructions seem to be gone so I´d like to know if someone knows something similar? I know soldering basics and can put stuff back together after dismantling it but that´s about it, so I´d need a step by step instruction with pictures and that´s what the other site had... now it´s just two short written answers from people who have the same problem. Any help appreciated.

All 4 have problems with the platter obviously, I´d like to get them working so I can use them for our scratch sessions instead of carrying all of my home equipment back and forth all the time.

I think they´re TTX1´s but I´ll have to check/confirm later when I´m back home.

https://www.facebook.com/sonderskooler/photos/pcb.10156716352890188/10156716311625188/?type=3&theater

One has this weird problem, it occured out of nowhere... I was practicing, stopped the platter to change the beat and came back to this:

https://www.facebook.com/sonderskooler/videos/vb.145887035187/3419172013190/?type=2&theater

One starts turning with ca. 3000 rpm when you switch the power on and the other two just stopped working over time. The platter was stopping when I used low pitches so I had to increase pitch to continue until the platter eventually stopped working alltogether.

Edited by sndrsklr

yeah, I´ve seen the chip being mentioned a few times but now I at least don´t have to search for the exact number anymore ;)

Now I´ll still need a instruction on how to locate that chip and replace it properly. I´ll keep looking, if I find something I´ll post it here.