Jon1st x DJ Vadim - If Life Was A Thing Routine

Jon

Earlier this year DJ Vadim invited me to make a turntablist routine using one of the songs off his new LP, The Dubcatcher. I chose 'If Life Was A Thing featuring Demolition Man' and this is the result: a combination of a routine and a remix I produced. Vadim's tracks have been a big influence to me and played a big part in me getting into the alternative side of beats/hip hop, so being asked to put this together was a true pleasure! The video was shot, directed and edited by good friend Paul Phengsiri with assistance by Sami Al-Nashee.

Here's a new DJ mix I gone done for Mr Victor's Rider Radio station in France too: https://soundcloud.com/riderradio/jon1st-rider-radio-minimix-october-2014

• Like 5

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Duuuuuude!! That's fucking awesome. Super props x 1000000000 to you, hella good. One of best all round turntablist things i seen for ages.

Footnote: Anyone who doesn't love Vadim is a blaadclat heediot.

• Like 1

wow thanks guys!

I wasn't sure how it was going to be received, so stoked you guys are into it :) apologies it's been ages since my last full routine vid. I recorded another for a manufcturer this summer but it's been delayed for months :( lots of new stuff soon come though

• Like 1

I know you said to me that you weren't sure how it would be received because of the button bashing stuff, but to me this is exactly the kind of thing that these new generation mixers were made for and the routine shows off various skills, so it's not like the button bashing dominates the performance.

• Like 2

Word, i went for button bashing in places because it produces a different sound then cutting. I wanted to make more of a 'track' with the routine, so sound quality is a big part of that. i tried to make it as tech as possible within the arrangement i'd written but groove etc was the main focus :)

Guest petesasqwax

BIGUPS! got to agree with Steve, I'm all for using whatever you want to use as long as there's a reason for it. the button bashing elements add something fresh and new to the routine which wouldn't be possible without that kind of functionality. loved it