Combo Generator

Sideshow

Does anyone have the source audio files and a rough description of what it did / the interface? I can just about build a crappy gui in Python now, playing audio over a few channels is probably alright too. Can't guarantee anything but there must be a few code monkeys here to rustle something up.

i can help with the original installers :) not tried to get it running though.

installer

http://www.dubse7en.co.uk/dubse7enmusic/sscombogen.exe

sample sets (mine and steves)

http://www.dubse7en....ic/combogen.rar

think i've got the audio sources i did too, will have a poke around

i can help with the original installers :) not tried to get it running though.

installer

http://www.dubse7en..../sscombogen.exe

sample sets (mine and steves)

http://www.dubse7en....ic/combogen.rar

think i've got the audio sources i did too, will have a poke around

both of these links are giving me the same files..

SSComboGen_DubSe7enSampleSet

SSComboGen_DubSe7enSampleSet2

SSComboGen_SigmaSampleSet

I dont think there is an installer ? :wacko:

try this: http://www.dubse7en..../sscombogen.exe

let me know how you get on with it, not tried it myself yet

yea that seems to be the installer.. it seems to install ok but then when you run the program, it wont open and a warning type box pops up n says..

"Component 'Comdlg32.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly

i was thinking..

if i knew how the program worked and what exactly it did, maby it could be coded into a website rather than a program?

i could probably do that, but i would need a look at, and understand how and what the program does. :wacko:

Basically it's all made up of scratch combos /patterns.

If I remember correctly, you could select which combo's you wanted it to include and it would randomly make a series of patterns over a beat and then leave you a few bars to copy it. I think you could also select a certain difficulty and from that it would make it harder / use more complex patterns...

I might be wrong though, was a while ago!

The program is/was actually quite sophisticated.

1. It makes sure that there are no impossible combos based on position of the sample/record.

2. It allows you to select certain scratches to include/exclude in/from combos.

3. It allows you to select different skill levels.

4. It allows you to select the length of the Q that you provide the A for (if you know what I mean).

5. You could set it into scratch mode where there would be no pauses if you just wanted to listen for new combo ideas.

So while you could make a web-based version that does a similar thing, at the very least you would have to make sure to do 1 on that list, otherwise it just wouldn't sound realistic.

Here's a sample of it just scratching using the sample set that I created. This was just the initial set of samples that I knocked up and I could have done with re-doing them so they sound cleaner, but Sideshow stopped development of the app: -

Combo Gen Sample.mp3

• Like 1

ok i see. the program sounds better than i thought it would be.

this is interesting stuff.

if done right, like you say with no impossible combos i think it would be quite popular and also a brilliant tool for learning.

probably a lot harder and confusing to code than i was originally thinking, but might be worth having a crack at it. would take alot of time tho

I'll fire Sideshow an email and see if it can be brought back from the dead. Even if he's willing to give up the source code then someone else might be able to carry on with it, or maybe it can be recompiled to work on Windows 7 and then at least you can have a play with it. The core functionality is all there and it's already possible to add your own cuts and beats to it (which isn't easy though - but at least it can be done), so I don't really think it needs anything doing feature-wise.

• 1 month later...

i dont wanna promise n then let u guys down, but I might have a pc lying around that's still running xp. I cud see if I cud get it running n grab some screen shots n note any functionality not already down.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's Sunday and I had a go at this. Probably be 2020 until it is ready given my level of Python programming skill!

So far I am using Sigma/Steve's sample set and I have managed to get a 500x500 window to pop-up with a title / DV logo / background image, and it to loop a 85bpm beat on an audio channel.

What do we actually want this thing to do? Choose samples from a list, random combo? If someone can be bothered to write a basic "User Requirements Spec" (in corporate lingo) it will at least give me something to aim for.

If anyone wants the code I can post it up (it's only a few lines at the mo').

You'll need Python 3.2.3 and Pygame 1.9.2. Though that means Windows, Linux or Mac is o.k.