i did a jazzy thing on da piano

bit of youtube, mostly figuring stuff out meself from playing around. for harmony I been practicing two different types of 7th chord for the past few months and just transposing the shape and getting used to how it feels all over the piano then doing some simple melodies following notes in or near the chord. Over time I'm getting a sense for the scale I'm in. The melody stuff is just figuring out some scales and arpegio sort of patterns then splicing things together to see what fits with what

• Like 1

That's really nice Chile.

Reminds me of a bit of solo Chick Corea which is never a bad thing !

I can play the piano pretty decently myself (although I'm certainly no expert) and I like to play in a similar style to what you're doing here.

I often found that using the guitar really helped in my case for working out the
more complex jazz type chords first and then transposing them to the piano.

I think doing that, in turn, gave me a better understanding of how to play and also improvise a bit easier..well,in my own mind at least.

Great stuff mate..keep it up !

Fucking sick man!

What resources are you using to learn this shit? I've just been improvising round some lead sheets but I'm hitting a wall.

Very nice video! :)

If you're looking for a great book on chords, I'd recommend this one: http://jazzbooks.com/jazz/product/JKH (they have a few pages as a preview there).

It starts with 2-note-chords (Root-Third and Root-Seventh) through the cycle of fifths and ii-V-I's. Then there are some typical turnarounds (vi-ii-V-I, VI-II-V-I, tritone subsitutions...) at the end of each chapter. Then you apply the concepts to four standards.

In the next chapter, everything will repeat but with one more note (Root in the left, third and seventh in the right), then four notes spread across two hands (this is where alterations are introduced). It goes on like that for several chapters.

There is also a huge appendix with exercices (walking bass lines in the left and rootless voicings in the right hand, chords in the left hand and melodies built from arpeggios or the scale in the right and so on).

Very logical book!

• 3 weeks later...