Freestyle a day for the month of May!

So I entered the Battle Av scratch battle at SSS the other day (for a laugh) and tanked hard! Being away in South Korea for two years without my decks has make me notice how I've fallen behind all the other SSS crew (big ups them chaps for grinding away). Any who, I figured I need to do something about it so am gonna record some shit every day for a month 1) To blow away the cobwebs a bit and force me to get on my decks everyday, 2) to get me over the dreaded fear of the red dot and 3) I hear recording yourself is a really good way to analyse where you're slipping up

Any way, I'm 3 days in, wish me luck

• Like 3

Also, nip alert!

ahha,

Yeah I noitced that so decided to put on some clothes for the next ones :p

Gotta admit your beat making thing helped me commit to this, hopefully will see some improvement over the month... not sure it's long enough though really.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

I watched the first one,but it stopped halfway through and a message came up with a sexy pic of Doob which blocked out most of the vid that said if i wanted to see more i had to put in my credit card number.

Seriously, though, no more lulzing, that's gud stuff.

I thought your cuts were sounding seriously fresh at Rye despite a 2 year hiatus!

I thought this too, you cheeky funker! I was all, "I know he's been doing some portacuts, but he's hardly practiced and is still rude as!". Plus, Eric showed you a new cut he was doing and you just did it first time. AND YOU'VE GOT AN S9 WHEN DID YOU GET THAT, YOU CHEEKY SCAMP?! Also you spent 2 years having a rad time in south east asian when we were all locked in our studios cutting it up which seems like a sound life choice. ICH HABE KEINE SYMPATHI!

In summary, kudos on the vids and practicing, but don't practice too hard cos you'll get too good again and i won't feel like a bossman.

• Like 1

Guest broke

Good idea, I need to do something like this to make sure I'm cutting more regularly. And yeah, considering you've had a 2 year hiatus, the cuts are still dope.

I noticed you really take your hand off the record on your forward releases, like quite far off. Bringing it back down onto the vinyl from so far can cause the record to skip, like in your day 2 clip... I think it was day 2 but I'm not rewatching to make sure in case I didn't notice you've actually got a ball sneaking out of your shorts or something #NIPPLEGATE2017

• Like 2

Guest broke

Good idea, I need to do something like this to make sure I'm cutting more regularly.

Keep your shirt on DJ Ambercrombie.

Nakedfromthewaistdown

• Like 1

I noticed you really take your hand off the record on your forward releases, like quite far off. Bringing it back down onto the vinyl from so far can cause the record to skip, like in your day 2 clip... I think it was day 2 but I'm not rewatching to make sure in case I didn't notice you've actually got a ball sneaking out of your shorts or something #NIPPLEGATE2017

Ah yeah I noticed that too, something I need to work on. See, it's working already! yyyyeaaaa. I'm wondering if the angle of the Go Pro makes it look higher than it is or if I do actually take my hand off that high. Any who good observation Broke, that's the kind of shit I'm hoping to find, thanks.

Question: would you have called this project "Freestyle a day" if it hadn't been during the month of May?

Was a complete coincidink actually. I just started doing it and then realised it was the 1st of May so there you go.

Yeah I gotta echo what the rest said about your return to SSS... you came back clean an funky as per usual, the rest of us are jus less shit than when ya eff'd off to Asia ;)

Good shout about the hand off the record to high, I can't un-see it now, please stop it Doob!

Something Im trying to work on at the mo is smaller hand arm movements and try to jus use the fingers more, I see a lot of speedy cutters have little hand arm flail so figured it could be good for improving speed on double time stuff.

Be good to see you do more basics - babies, transform, more silent notes/pauses and stuff with the lines. Not really a criticism but it would add that bit extra to your already funky flow.

Guest broke

Also, I know you're only four videos in, but I did notice you stayed at about 94 - 100 BPM for the first three, then number four was probably about 86... I try to make sure I practice using a variety of tempos to make sure I'm not stuck in the same BPM range all the time. I'm still struggling to maintain the flow at certain BPMs, but I think it has helped my cuts overall.

Yeah I gotta echo what the rest said about your return to SSS... you came back clean an funky as per usual, the rest of us are jus less shit than when ya eff'd off to Asia ;)

Good shout about the hand off the record to high, I can't un-see it now, please stop it Doob!

Something Im trying to work on at the mo is smaller hand arm movements and try to jus use the fingers more, I see a lot of speedy cutters have little hand arm flail so figured it could be good for improving speed on double time stuff.

Be good to see you do more basics - babies, transform, more silent notes/pauses and stuff with the lines. Not really a criticism but it would add that bit extra to your already funky flow.

yeah man, you all well less shit! (goood). Great feedback man, I'll keep it in mind. I can never seem to obtain the flow state while I'm recording, I often wonder if my flow state is a real thing or I just think I was flowing but wasn't really.... If no one sees it, does it really happen kinda thing :o

Also, I know you're only four videos in, but I did notice you stayed at about 94 - 100 BPM for the first three, then number four was probably about 86... I try to make sure I practice using a variety of tempos to make sure I'm not stuck in the same BPM range all the time. I'm still struggling to maintain the flow at certain BPMs, but I think it has helped my cuts overall.

Cool man, but actually I've just been going in to my massive folder of loopers and randomly selecting beats to cut on! That's half the idea I suppose, go out my comfort zone whilst I record. In general I cut over lots of different BPM's a lot.

I recorded one yesterday but my mates here so I'll have to put all the weekend ones up on Monday

Bloody weekend took me well off track with these, but I tried to record still, just not edit. I think I might have recorded Saturday's one on Sunday but the rest are from the actual day.

It's deffo working, I'm remembering all sorts of combos long forgotten.

All about day 9, nice Doob

Thanks man, deffo felt like I rememered a lot of different combos for that day.... all the open fader slow stuff like boomerangs / swing flares etc is coming back to me.