Combined Beat AND Scratch Battle - win a C&P test press!

DJ Rock Well

If anyone uses it of course fell free to loopin in serato to cut out the curtis vocals (if you want)... didn't know if that would fuck up scratchers flow or not but its fresh so left it in.

Backtrack and Phonetic - excellent, just in time! If you'd both be able enable the download link in Soundcloud permissions, that would be great.

Loophole too please!

done!

i love this idea for a battle and great to see stuff that happening that makes people think a little differently.

I'm just wondering are you happy with the amount of participants etc.. how your feeling at this point with how its all going.

what are you most looking forward to with the rest of the battle.

Thanks Jimmy!

I've been trying to keep stuff rolling on here that gets people doing stuff, hopefully inspired - working on the simple principal that doing stuff is always better than not doing stuff. Plus communities are build on people interacting and always yield more. I'd definitely count people like yourself and many of the extended Community Skratch family as an inspiration on both counts - proactivity and interaction.

I only instigated a scratch battle because Ovrkil asked TBH and my logic on doing things this way round was this...

When I first joined DV, there were monthly beat battles with a vote, then the winning beat was the one beat for a scratch battle. A couple of times I won the beat part and although people liked the beats and that was nice, I'm not sure they always made for the best scratch battles. Everybody has their own musical preferences and there was always potential for the people voting for the beats not being the ones entering the scratch battle, plus people like choice. We could of just done one with an existing looper, but that doesn't produce any new content so that didn't make sense.

So I guess this was the best third option I could think of... two different things for people to get involved with and hopefully it'll bring out the best in both. Plus it keeps it about the music, I hate hearing people just doing all their same moves over every beat like it's a fucking metronome, I wanna hear DJs cutting TO the beat not just at the same time. All my favourite DJs are masters of this, it's what makes it music rather than just a performance of dexterity. Hopefully this format pushes the battle more in that direction.

(Actually, what makes great scratch really fascinates me. Those beats that just have that extra something about them that makes you want to keep cutting, that inspire you into flows you've never done before. It's a hard thing to nail down in theory and practice, sometimes beats that sound just ok at first listen really get you once you scratch over them. Practicalities like groove and space in the mix all help, but I could never just sit down to make one and pull out a blinder. For me, the best scratch beats I've made have kind of crept up on me, it's never something I've been totally in control of. Maybe that's just me though?)

I'm seriously chuffed at the response so far. As long as we managed at least three entries for each half I'd be happy, the rest is a bonus! We've got 16 quality beats there and from a wide variety beat makers too... I've heard many looper or set of beats for big competitions that I don't think come close and this is just from an informal 'why don't we have a battle? scenario on a little scratch forum, you've gotta love that!

Now I just hope we get a few entries for the scratch bit. If it happens to be an all out turntable brawl though, that would be nice :)

Spread the word people, get involved!

Thanks to everyone that has so far, Si/C&P for adding prizes and making a looper, not forgetting loophole on the artwork and everybody who posted on Facebook too, it's always a team effort here... I basically just made up some shit, wrote it on the internet and let everyone else do the heavy lifting :d

• Like 4