Recommended External HD (or SSD) for road use? [ 2017 ]

Hey DV,

I've finally gotten most of my gear where it needs to be, and it wasn't without the help and advice from this board.

I'm using the DJM-S9 with SDJ, and it actually runs halfway decent on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.

I recently swapped out my laptop's internal SSD for something newer/bigger, but I'd also like to invest in some external storage that I can move around.

Q: What externals have you guys been using? I've had bad experiences/failures in the past with the cheaper 2.5" HDDs. I'm wondering if those the newer, expensive SSD externals are actually worth the price.

In theory an ssd should be able to take a bit more rough and tumble than a hard drive, couple it with a shock absorbing caddy and you're good. For real tough stuff look at io safe. Their products are crazy tough. Fireproof, drop proof, everything.

I have a 1T Samsung drive I've been using. It's about the size of credit card but obviously much thicker. The thing about SSDs is that while they are more drop proof, if the drive gets damaged or corrupted they can be pretty much impossible to get the data off for less than a few thousand dollars.

I've mostly used the Lacie rugged externals and personally think they are the best. I've used regular Lacies too and they were good but much bigger. WD externals worked fine for me. If you can, get a SSD external or a drive and put it in an enclosure. That should be very stable.

I've mostly used the Lacie rugged externals and personally think they are the best. I've used regular Lacies too and they were good but much bigger. WD externals worked fine for me. If you can, get a SSD external or a drive and put it in an enclosure. That should be very stable.

I was using the original (larger) Lacie Rugged back in 2008 and it was fine. I recommended the rugged to one of my younger DJ friends and her drive (newer one) failed in a matter of days. This was the impetus behind my post here; looking at the newer SSD options.

I'm somewhat jaded from having a drive fail on me the DAY OF a gig.

Thanks guys.

Doob is yours a SSD or the a regular hard drive?

Samsung SSDs are stupid expensive, but I'm willing to pay it if it is worth it. The other option would be to buy multiples of cheaper externals, but something tells me they are too cheap to be good.

Yeah, I had a few hundred dollars in Dell store credits from a promotion when I bought my laptop and that was one of the only things in the store that looked like I would use. Not sure I'd buy one outright. They are super small and nice though.