Rane Twelve - holy shit

Guest rasteri

I think you can use it directly with your laptop provided you have a Serato box or Serato DVS mixer. I think the 72 just gives you the option of having two extra USB inputs in the mixer so you can use two and not use up your laptop USB slots

Presumably you can use it with any Serato enabled device with an audio interface, including controllers?

I do find it mildly aggravating that they have rotated the lettering to be "normal" in what is a battle style layout. I would probably rotate the unit back to "normal" but then all the lettering is sideways. I'd get over it I suppose.

I like the idea of this, but I haven't got any other Serato gear. Seems like I wouldn't be able to just plug this in as a massive Serato software dongle and use another soundcard to do audio?

I don't think there is a massive market for this, but if they can get it "good enough" for decent scratching / latency I'll get one. To be honest it's been about a million years since I used DVS, but when I did I never found the latency / response too aggravating (obviously I can't chirp fast enough to notice).

• Like 1

I don't see why you can't use this with the Z2, it does have 2 USB ports. Its not like the 72 was the firs to do it

Currently its a SDJ device, native support for Traktor would be lovely but probably yet another Traktor fanboy pipe dream :(

I've always thought it would be a good idea to put the needle search and cue point bit across the record in roughly the same travel as the needle reaches across toward the centre. With higher res led feedback so you can see better where in the track you are - seems like this only has 8 indicators?

I've also thought it would be cool to have only half the record actually touchable with the other side having a section over it with pads etc on it.

Also I reckon a high res rotary encoder would be better for pitch, it'd take a bit of relearning but you could switch decks easier and be more precise. A shift button could do coarse changes, and scale buttons ala controller 1 could take care of pitch play duties.

Pm me my development fees, thanks.

Agreed with all of that and totally the turntable controller Id prefer.

Ergonomically speaking the Twelve as a deck of the future doesn't have a great control layout but considering how touchy the tablist market is about change I think Rane have been wise to ultimately jus make it about the platter and leave software controls to the mixer. In the long run the Twelve IMO is the stepping stone needed for wider acceptance of such a device and hopefully further down the line a more involved turntable media player that won't need a laptop.

Im all out digital when it comes to tablist performance stuff, DVS is great for dual purposing a turntable from analogue to digital but ultimately its like anything that tries to do two things = great at one job and in the right environment ok at the other. DVS is clearly more than functional but fuck me how much better/tighter does it feel to cut or mix with real wax in comparison?!

Ive been longing for something like the 12 to drop as hopefully it'll be the start of the scene accepting a digi turntable and encourage further development from manufactures. Having a perfectly stable control signal where the vinyl torque won't change from record to record, needles won't get damaged, build up with fluff, poor floor isolation from bass etc.. would be dream come true and get far better experience from using software.

edit: Shouts for Stanton doing this 10 years ago, hardware wise the SCS controller deck was awesome but it never got native support from any software which ultimately made it a glorified paper weight, shame

Guest rasteri

It's been millenia since I used a CDX/HDX, were they noticeably better or worse than DVS? I remember thinking it was pretty decent but never spent that long on one.

They're actually really great. They sound as good as if not better than DVS, and latency is (I believe) lower too.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Guest rasteri

Everyone I know who has twelves say they're great. As good or better than traditional audio-based DVS. Yet to try it myself but I have no reason to doubt.

Based on rasteri's watertight guarantee above, I've ordered one - should be arriving tomorrow. Guarantee I will be disappointed.

I hope you're not planning on opening the box and devaluing it.

It's precisely because I have 4 LTD edition regular turntables that I can't open, that I have to get this controller piece of shit as a substitute.

• Like 2

Surely the only 12 with a scratchbox sitting next to it :)

And therefore the most interesting pic of the 12 Ive seen to date (I had a pointless rant on FB of the seemingly endless social media posts of people showing off there new Rane gear, turns out a scratchbox makes said Rane willy waving ok, mmmmmm Rodec)

• Like 2

The funny thing is, I can't even scratch!

My first impression of the thing is that it is pretty decent. I haven't got a perfect frame of reference, as I have basically scratched the same copy of Hee-Haw Brayks continuously for about 20 years - so I got very attuned to the resistance and feel of the record. Also it was filthy, so nice and sticky to grip. So it feels quite different, in the same way I always found other records weird when I tried scratching on them. After 30 minutes of scratching I feel like I'm getting a bit more used to it.

The thing feels solid enough and with my Serato USB buffer at 1ms it feels pretty nice (if I crank that up to 20ms I can definitely notice audio lag). I also have no memory of how well DVS ever performed in comparison, as it's been a million years since I used it. I think the overall "sound" of the scratching is a bit different (like DVS too), but I guess a lot of that is just that there isn't a needle to transmit bumps and noise etc. It doesn't feel like my scratching is any worse for using it, but I'm hardly world champion standard.

• Like 2

@Joe - lol :) You have go traditional and use the motor off 1200 style

Deft - Yeah digital is never gonna feel/sound as direct as real wax but the Rane 12 should equal the best real feel results currently possible vs traditional DVS but ultimately is always gonna come down to the digital vs analog feel/sound thing. Im looking forward to giving the 12 a go when the opportunity comes round.