Scratching blindfolded

joeClockwork

I've just discovered that if I don't look at my record hand when I'm cutting I learn how to 'feel' my way through my hand-on-record movements, which improves the translation of what's in my head to what I hear from my scratches. OK, you don't have to go to the lengths of actually blindfolding yourself, just look at a fixed point on the wall; anywhere but your record hand.

If you're struggling with a particular technique it's most probably because you're applying too much/not enough pressure to the record, or you're not fast enough or maybe too fast with your record hand movements. Your brain is not going to work out what you're doing wrong if you look at your record hand; if anything this makes it worse and adds to the confusion.

This applies to single noises like an ahhhhhh sample. Obviously you'll need to look at your marker when you're cutting up vocal sentences (unless you're shit hot of course!)

My music teacher once told me, "Do you look at your feet when you walk? No. So don't look at your drums when you're drumming".

Anyway, this will probably have occurred to most of you already but I thought I'd put it out there in case anyone else had overlooked it. I'm finding it helps a lot.

• Like 5

Guest Symatic

i just missed out on a vid oppertunity of a certain gold-clad gangster lord scratching with a hello kitty blindfold....... all i got was the end of his session where he took it off and went "hmmmm, seems to work"

• 1 month later...

Yeaah I find I can do this easily with hand on record type techniques but anything involving multiple syllables/words i need to look at the record for the most part. The difficult part is not giving someone your scratchysexconcentration face while you'll looking up :blink:

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

try standing on one leg compared to standing on one leg with your eyes closed...... its way harder with your eyes closed. #EyesAreActuallyQuiteUseful

• Like 1

Just to be clear, the idea is to help make your scratching sound more interesting; this isn't a new technique to showcase in front of an audience. It's based on a theory that looking at your record while scratching can be a distraction that hinders your ability to sound how you want to. That's all.

In fact, I would recommend that you do look at your record hand when you scratch live, especially during the dribbly sex face bits! :huh:

• Like 1