If YouTube videos (or other content) won't automatically embed for you.....

Steve

UPDATED - IGNORE THIS POST AND SEE POST #2

When you copy and paste, for example, a YouTube link into the post editor (i.e. the area where you compose your post), one of 2 things will happen, depending on the web browser you're using: -

1. The YouTube link will appear in the post editor as plain text

2. The YouTube link will turn into a clickable link inside the post editor itself

If 1 happens, you're fine. When you hit the submit button, the YouTube link will turn into an embedded player in your post. However, if 2 happens, all that will appear in your post is a link to the YouTube video. To get around that, you will have to go back to wrapping the link manually in media tags like this: -

[ media ]YouTube link goes here[ /media ]

Of course, don't put spaces inside the square brackets when you do it for real.

This issue will affect people who use Chrome, as Chrome automatically turns links into full clickable links inside the post editor. It may also affect other browsers too. This issue is beyond my control as once again, Invision have decided to change how links/embedded content work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think this solution was wank, because on here if someone posts a YouTube video, for example, they always want it to embed, so I've made a change to the code so that things that should embed (YouTube, SoundCloud etc.) will always embed automatically, regardless of which browser you're using and regardless of whether you use media tags or not.