POST A PIC OF YOUR SETUP

nah Sig, I don't find it odd. well, maybe when I mix techno...wait. I only scratch on the PDX..and I never use the 1200 for anything other than playing music...ie mixing beats.

yes, after reflection...it is odd. thus my not using the 1200. and its hard for me to mix on them as well. the 1200 has the nice smooth pitch control...the vestax is fucking terrible when it comes to fine pitch adjustment...

yeah..its odd. and sucks for mixing. ohh, i've been drinking.

I should lower my tonearm? it's not level...I know that much. should I even it out with the platter?

I set mine up the way Shure recommends, be that right or wrong. The tonearm is pushed down as low as it can go, making it basically level. That should wear the records a little less and prolong the life of the stylus. If you're gonna try it, you'll have to wait until you buy a new stylus cos yours will be shaped by having it that way now. Perhaps I'm talking bollocks, cos I've seen Woody cut with his as high as they can go, but I've always read and been told that level is the way to go. I think the higher they are, the less they will skip, but the more the record/stylus will wear away.

Could you not sell the Technics and get another PDX? My mates who have Technics seem unable to mix on my Vestax until they've had a good hour or so to get used to the difference in pitch controls. I sometimes find the PDX a pain to mix on too. It's like nudge the pitch a little this way, then that way, then back again, then........:@

i'll have to give that a try after I get a new needle.

i guess I could sell the 1200, but I'd perfer to purchase another one. have a nice pair..for mixing the techno/breaks/dnb...and whatnot...and then a PDX just for cutting purposes.

i'm more of a finger mixer myself. I actually use my fingers on the record to speed it up or slow it down...then adjust to match accordingly.

i need a taller bookshelf. like one to the ceiling.

computer

Behringer eurorack mixer

Pioneer amp

Pioneer cd player

Pioneer speakers

Vestax pdx-3s x 2

Vestax Pmc pro 05 mixer

Sharp MiniDisc

Shit Mic

Too Many Records

and a load of cd's free from papers

Edited by mattnice

heres an old one from last year, i'll take a new one when im bothered.

only difference now is that the red crate is packed full of records, and where the bowl of noodles is theres a pile of uni books and random notes.. and ive got a photo frame with me and my girl in it.

is that a casio SK1 keyboard?

I set mine up the way Shure recommends, be that right or wrong. The tonearm is pushed down as low as it can go, making it basically level. That should wear the records a little less and prolong the life of the stylus. If you're gonna try it, you'll have to wait until you buy a new stylus cos yours will be shaped by having it that way now. Perhaps I'm talking bollocks, cos I've seen Woody cut with his as high as they can go, but I've always read and been told that level is the way to go. I think the higher they are, the less they will skip, but the more the record/stylus will wear away.

Could you not sell the Technics and get another PDX? My mates who have Technics seem unable to mix on my Vestax until they've had a good hour or so to get used to the difference in pitch controls. I sometimes find the PDX a pain to mix on too. It's like nudge the pitch a little this way, then that way, then back again, then........:@

Me and my roomatre recently decided that needle wear is bullshit and its just a matter of cleaning your needles with a small brush and some rubbing alcohol. He has this pen microscope, pretty cool device, and we looked at both the needle i cut on and the needle i use to just play beats. after cleaning the needle i usually cut with i ooked at both under the microscope and the shape/point was EXACTLY the same. think about it, how the fuck is a peice of plastic going to wear down a chunk of diamond???? myth busters 4 lyfe holmes.

one.

Me and my roomatre recently decided that needle wear is bullshit and its just a matter of cleaning your needles with a small brush and some rubbing alcohol.  He has this pen microscope, pretty cool device, and we looked at both the needle i cut on and the needle i use to just play beats. after cleaning the needle i usually cut with i ooked at both under the microscope and the shape/point was EXACTLY the same.  think about it, how the fuck is a peice of plastic going to wear down a chunk of diamond???? myth busters 4 lyfe holmes.

one.

First up unless you're Usher your stylus probably isn't made out of diamond. Diamond styli means the needle contact point is cut to diamond shape. It's still just metal.

Plus have you never had a worn down needle - the type tha just skate across the record?? I know I have and I'd rather my needles didn't get in that state too quickly.

Also record wear is very real. I thought I couldn't afford Shures when I first started out. I wish I'd just bought them though as they'd have been a great investment. I ruined a whole load of nice vinyl scratching with Shures with 5ps on the carts (how was I supposed to know???)

heres an old one from last year, i'll take a new one when im bothered.

only difference now is that the red crate is packed full of records, and where the bowl of noodles is theres a pile of uni books and random notes.. and ive got a photo frame with me and my girl in it.

is that a casio SK1 keyboard?

good looking out :) my mate lent it to me, its fun shit to use.

First up unless you're Usher your stylus probably isn't made out of diamond. Diamond styli means the needle contact point is cut to diamond shape. It's still just metal.

Wrong. They are made of industrial diamonds. Not very blingy, but still diamonds, though.

And to get slightly back to topic (haven't got pics):

Currently:

2x Technics SL-1210Mk2

1x Technics SL-1200Mk2

Tascam XS-8 (clickplate-modded)

Tascam XS-4 (currently with a heavily modded PCV fader)

Technics RP-DJ1210

Pioneer SE-205 (old-school headphones)

Shure M44-7's, M44C's (the ones w/ blue styli, they're dope as f**k), Whitelabels, SC35C's plus some other bits'n'pieces.

I really suck at scratching, though.

Edited by virak