new denon turntables

Guest rasteri

Denon claimed to have developed them from the ground up but they're talking shit - they're OEM turntables but they're not from Hanpin like the others, they're (I think) made by another company called Yahorng. The Numark NTX1000 is basically the same thing.

• Like 2

Rasteri, what is your ranking of turntables from best to worst. I guess your top 5 or 10 actually. Curious about some of the newer decks and also some older ones that come up on craigslist like TTX and PDX. Figure if anyone has a relatively unbiased educated opinion on the matter it would be you.

• Like 2

Denon claimed to have developed them from the ground up but they're talking shit - they're OEM turntables but they're not from Hanpin like the others, they're (I think) made by another company called Yahorng. The Numark NTX1000 is basically the same thing.

Aaah so they are same as the Roland 909s then.

Guest rasteri

I'll try and come up with a list of "decent turntables to watch out for", but this is a list of all the turntables currently on the market :

Yahorng shitty -

• Numark TT250

Hanpin shitty (DJ-3560) -

• Roland 909
  • Pioneer PLX500
  • Audio-technica AT-LP120
  • Reloop RP-1000M / RP-2000M / RP-4000M
  • Stanton T.62/T.92 (I think)

Yahorng Decent -

• Numark NTX1000
  • Denon VL12

Hanpin Decent (i.e. DJ-5500/SuperOEM) -

• Audio-technica AT-LP1240-USB
  • Reloop RP-7000/RP-8000
  • Pioneer PLX-1000
  • Stanton ST.150/STR8.150

If I was buying a NEW turntable I'd get the Audio Technica AT-LP1240-USB, simply by virtue of it being the cheapest non-shitty one. The Reloop RP-7000 is also a fine choice.

I've not tried either of the Yahorng Decent turntables so I'll reserve judgement, if the NTX1000 ends up being good and cheaper than the AT-LP1240USB then I may have a new favourite. The price on the Denon VL12 takes the piss though.

Word.. basically thinking about replacing my Numark TTX.... The Reloop RP-7000 and Pioneer PLX-1000 have been on my list. Interested in Mixars too... but not sure how they size up.

Other than the 4 ltd edition turntables in my cupboard, I do kinda want a new turntable for actually using. I was thinking a STR8-150 - cos I only use the deck for cutting and then I can smash the shit out of it without skipping, or something. They are like £500 though, FUCK ME.

Yeah I was pretty hot on those when they dropped but seems like they are more expensive now then when they first hit the market!

Guest rasteri

You can actually buy an Audio-technica AT-LP1240-USB and fit it with the Stanton straight arm for less than what the STR8-150 costs. All (well, most) of the SuperOEM parts are interchangeable.

• Like 2

It might just be me but I find the full on high torque of super oems to feel a bit less nice... the pdx motor feels great to me, and the ttx torque (not the strongest on the variable ones) too. That said, I wonder whether the higher platter of those two has something to do with it... anyway, I'm quite interested in variable torque super oems, although from what I can tell from briefly keepIng up its technics emulation or arm breaking. I swear there was one with smoothly adjustable torque somewhere?

Anyway I'm happy with my str8150s, and the old style paint job doesn't hurt either. I do sometimes hanker for a pair of ttxs, even after having to repair my ttx1s twice each before I finally sold them. My dream deck is a pdx3000 straight arm, but I've never been quite able to put my finger on why, because they don't sound very good in comparison to the Stanton. I think everything else on them is just right. Actually maybe the pdx2000 mk2 pro just for the sheer indulgeance. Not sure.

My str8150s cost me 600 the pair second hand when I got them and I felt like I got bit ripped off... inflation's a bitch!