good versatile first synth?

Yeah it is abetter synth than some of the reviews would have you think, it has a bit of a cult following, it garnered some bad respect in the early days because Roland charged for the software editor (Think they discontinued it now) but if you are looking at Digital hardware vs Analogue, there are much better options second hand in the same sort of price bracket.

Micro Korg - Good cheap synth, great for Neuros/Reeses and a ton of EDM sounds

M-audio Venom - Good cheap synth, probably the most violent sounding hardware synth i have ever owned

Roland JV1080 - Good cheap synth, PCM based, so not VA, but pretty much the bread and butter synth of the entire world up until software took over

Nord lead - Mainstay of a lot of dance studios

Access Virus variants - Still a go to for a lot of EDM

Roland JP8000/8080 - The birthplace of Supersaw, great synth

Personally in your position and desperate for hardware, I personally would be looking at the Blofeld, It isn't very analogue sounding, but it kicks serious ass, especially with the sample playback add on (Keyboard has the add on built in)

Those are just a few, there are lots and lots of others, the reality is that any synth you choose will be a good first synth, a collections of the Korg Volcas wouldn't even be a bad thing.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Shit

I have one of these here, and i haven't plugged a deck in to it yet !!!!

https://www.boss.info/us/products/sy-300/

Will report back with findings. when i get a set rigged up again.

How did you find using the Boss SY-300 btw Flex ?

As someone who plays guitar on a regular basis I'd be pretty tempted to get one of these for myself if they're actually any good, so I'd be very interested to know what your opinion of it is..

With guitar they are fucking immense, what they say it does on the videos it does, im not a guitarist i bought for my guitarist to use, hes blown away by it, much easier making synth sounds on the computer editor though.

• Like 1

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Now I finally know what synth to purchase...Komplete. And finally I'm off the fence about either Maschine or MPC 2500...Maschine all the way given that it already integrates with my Z2 and Komplete. I just need to get a faster, better computer.

• Like 1

What I've figured out is, if you friend Pete Sasqwax on Facebook, you're bound to have an opportunity to buy one of his old synths sooner or later hahaha

hehehe...classic.. :p