rane 62 vs pioneer djsm-s9

Guest rasteri

Rasteri - be interested to know if the rotary pots are still of high standard despite there lame mounting?

Not especially - they're bog standard ALPS 9mm pots. Several of them had broken on the unit I had in the shop.

Maybe the TTM56S was better assembled than the TTM56?

• 1 year later...

THREAD REVIVAL

It's been a while since the question was first asked. I wanted to see if any of your opinions have changed over the course of 2 years.

The #1 factor that has been holding me back from making any purchase is the software (latency).

Q: Is the current version of Serato DJ still worse than SSL when it comes to record movement latency (all things being equal)?

Let's say 16th note chirps on the incoming track at 100bpm ... Are you still having to dumb-down scratches to make up for the lag?

Guest broke

THREAD REVIVAL

It's been a while since the question was first asked. I wanted to see if any of your opinions have changed over the course of 2 years.

The #1 factor that has been holding me back from making any purchase is the software (latency).

Q: Is the current version of Serato DJ still worse than SSL when it comes to record movement latency (all things being equal)?

Let's say 16th note chirps on the incoming track at 100bpm ... Are you still having to dumb-down scratches to make up for the lag?

No.

Have you watched any scratch DJs using Serato in the last couple of years?

THREAD REVIVAL

No.

Have you watched any scratch DJs using Serato in the last couple of years?

To be honest, I don't really seek out DVS scratch videos. I have used Serato DJ on a variety of friends' controllers/laptops and have noticed that they seem to perform differently...

Guest rasteri

I'm not aware of any complaints about latency on DJ versus SSL. I know loads of people on DJ now and they seem to manage fine (and they are people who would definitely notice increased latency).

In any case SSL is starting to have problems on newer versions of Mac OS X and Windows so it's only a matter of time before you'll be forced to switch anyway.

IMO the one to get is the S9.

Love the layout and feel of the pads of the S9 since switching from a 62, I'm sure there are many who prefer the layout and workflow of the Rane but I wouldn't want to go back now. I did prefer the way you loop on the 62 but that's probably more down to which one you started with and got most used to.

Got the S9 yesterday.

Gripes:

1. You cannot adjust the CUT-IN to its absolute minimum unless you have a laptop plugged into it! This shit boggles me. They take the time to make a really nice fader and force you to use it with SDJ.

2. The cut sound is softer than Rane. Coming from the innofader it feels like my scratches are missing emphasis.

3. I hate to say it, but yes it does feel controller-cheap. I saw a post of a person who broke the CF stem off. I can see how a heavy handed person could easily do this.... scary stuff.

Nice things:

1. The pads and effects pretty much eliminate the need for little midi controllers. Good economy of space.

2. The scrolling knobs are brilliant. I don't need to reach for the keyboard as often.

3. It's pretty and makes me look like a rich asshole.

Guest broke

Got the S9 yesterday.

Gripes:

1. You cannot adjust the CUT-IN to its absolute minimum unless you have a laptop plugged into it! This shit boggles me. They take the time to make a really nice fader and force you to use it with SDJ.

2. The cut sound is softer than Rane. Coming from the innofader it feels like my scratches are missing emphasis.

3. I hate to say it, but yes it does feel controller-cheap. I saw a post of a person who broke the CF stem off. I can see how a heavy handed person could easily do this.... scary stuff.

I heard they fixed the fader lag with a firmware update.

And yes, people have been breaking fader stems. It's crazy. I've heard the same thing about the build quality, too. One guy I know said it was "built like an ice cream container". I had an S9 on loan for a show and it was okay, but not my mixer of choice.

I'd have tracked down a Rane Sixty Two if I were you, but I guess it's too late now. I've seen them for half the price of the S9.

Had my cute/tatted DJ friend come over last night with her new Macbook Pro to test it out with my S9 (she has the same mixer).

(No, I did not just buy the same mixer so I could get her to come deejay in my bedroom. Not entirely.)

It ran flawlessly, so I'm keeping the mixer. I was having some freezing with my Windows 10 Laptop, but now I'm sure that it isn't the soundcard or mixer's fault.

-

My first mixer was the DJM-600, followed by the DJM-707 with a EFX-500 attached to it. Clown on me all you want but I've always had a soft spot for Pioneer's Layout.

Thanks for the helps DV!

NOTE: The newest firmware update reduces the standard cut in to 1mm. However, it still requires a SDJ connection to achieve 0.3mm. So it is not completely fixed imo.

But the 56s is uglier than a daytime hooker so nobody wants that.

Daytime hookers with internal power supplies are the shit though, I can never go back to the shitty socket now. I honestly don't care about the wierd fader curves either.

Still ugly as fuck, though, i'll give you that

Edit: jesus christ, managed to fucking answer a two year old post. I'm a dumbass

Edited by props to the finger
  • Like 1