Mulatu Astatke LIVE in Dublin/London & some European dates

savwar

Nice! Do you know if he's bringing a band or if the Heliocentrics are on this one?

I was wondering that too. No Idea.

I'll ask the promoter here.

Seems from his facebook page that he's been playing with the "Steps Ahead Band"

which could be that future-Jazz route Steps were talking about for their comeback

Certainly dressed the part

gERrsNH.png

• Like 1

Ha! I just got 30 seconds into writing a reply before I realised that is actually Steps and not his band :$

Mulatu is a legend regardless, but he is a band leader and vibes player (bearing in mind vibes don't feature heavily on a lot of his classic stuff). So for me the band he's with makes a big difference. Predictably, the Heliocentrics nailed some of those classics as pretty much no other band today could and although I've only heard a bit of him with other bands, as good as they were, they weren't really doing it for like Catto et al.

Ha! I just got 30 seconds into writing a reply before I realised that is actually Steps and not his band :$

Mulatu is a legend regardless, but he is a band leader and vibes player (bearing in mind vibes don't feature heavily on a lot of his classic stuff). So for me the band he's with makes a big difference. Predictably, the Heliocentrics nailed some of those classics as pretty much no other band today could and although I've only heard a bit of him with other bands, as good as they were, they weren't really doing it for like Catto et al.

Yeah the Heliocentrics were amazing. I haven't checked any recent clips,

But i did see this in the comments of a guardian review from Feb....

c2bswE5.png