Numark PT-01 modding thread

Guest rasteri

Guest rasteri

I did some more experimenting with a higher-torque motor control circuit this evening but I'm still a long way off. I'll let you guys know if I find anything useful.

• Like 1

Maybe I'll try putting some electrical tape around the pulley or something to see if that makes a difference. I always suspected it was just lack of torque in general since I don't seem to have any issues at higher speeds. I've almost gotten to the point where I can compensate enough so it's not a very big issue.

Guest rasteri

No. I've been thinking about painting it with "liquid rubber" (Mibenco or PlastiDip), but never tried.

Maybe just glue a smaller belt or o-ring to it?

• Like 1

No. I've been thinking about painting it with "liquid rubber" (Mibenco or PlastiDip), but never tried.

Maybe just glue a smaller belt or o-ring to it?

I got the Mibenco right here, plus it's probably the most simple to use. But I'd need to establish a little test setup to really tell about "before" and "after".

r

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance someone has the 3d print file for the tonearm side plate (where the audio outs are)? I've whipped up some serato passthrough switches, and need a place to mount the audio jacks/switch.

Also, I guess I'm done lurking. I've been reading this thread for awhile, so helpful in getting my pt01s modded to death.

Current pt01, with near mirror deck in-process:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xuo25KL4F3WUJzVM6

mods:

battery + usb (can power 2 decks)

solidcutz platter

jdd fader

jdd start/stop w/ 30mm sanwa arcade button

jdd tonearm & phono pre-amp

ultra-pitch (pwm off 9v power)

bluetooth/usb/radio input (still need to add a 9v ground isolator)

Visaton 5 FRS 5 XTS speaker

serato switch (tonearm line out/passthrough/line in as fader channel)

guide light

chroma caps

record holding cover

Edited by mikeallison

Guest rasteri

Any chance someone has the 3d print file for the tonearm side plate (where the audio outs are)? I've whipped up some serato passthrough switches, and need a place to mount the audio jacks/switch.

3D printing isn't a great way to make a plate TBH, personally I'd make it out of PCB material - it's strong, cheap and comes with free screenprinting. There are places on the net (JLCPCB.com for example) that'll do you one for $2 + shipping.

3D printing isn't a great way to make a plate TBH, personally I'd make it out of PCB material - it's strong, cheap and comes with free screenprinting. There are places on the net (JLCPCB.com for example) that'll do you one for $2 + shipping.

Thanks Rasteri. I meant the cover plate though, not the PCB.

Like this but for the flip side:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/numark-pt01-scratch-bluetooth-plate

As for the pcb, I'll definitely go that route if I make more than a few of these. Right now it's just a wire harness. I'm not looking to sell them, but I'd be happy to share the specs if anyone wants to use the idea.

Guest rasteri

Thanks Rasteri. I meant the cover plate though, not the PCB.

Yeah I know - I meant that you can make a cover plate from PCB material. There's a good overview here :

• Like 1

Does anyone know offhand the RPM of the motor in the PT01? I'm trying to make my own turntable from a Solid Cutz platter, seeing as that platter is a direct match and comes with a pulley already I figured matching the RPM of the PT01 motor exactly would give me the same range of platter RPMs.

Is the Jesse Dean tonearm BASE in the PT01 scratch(fresh out of the box) supposed to be wobbly to the sides and up/down?

When scratching with the PT on my legs the tonearm jumps a lot.

I installed it as shown in the video on the JD Youtube channel, but added another flat ring on the bottom of the base below the deck, else i could lift the base a little which i thought wasn't right.

Is the Jesse Dean tonearm BASE in the PT01 scratch(fresh out of the box) supposed to be wobbly to the sides and up/down?

I installed it as shown in the video on the JD Youtube channel, but added another flat ring on the bottom of the base below the deck, else i could lift the base a little which i thought wasn't right.

Mine don't feel wobbly. Make sure you have the stock washer on the topside if so.

Edit: I mounted my m447s in the middle holes, and almost never skips even when jarred.

Edited by mikeallison

Mine don't feel wobbly. Make sure you have the stock washer on the topside if so.

Edit: I mounted my m447s in the middle holes, and almost never skips even when jarred.

This just about the base, not the the mount for the cartridge. I have the washer on the topside and had to add another on the downside where the nut is or else it would move up and down. This is weird. What am i doing wrong?

Edited by DJDropzDead

any reason why i get audio pops while scratching? as well as when i just play a record?

thought it was just when the needle bounced.. but when i just played a track the other day, i noticed it would pop/click intermittently.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys. I've been following this thread for a while and i have done a few mods for my numark pt01s as well.

so far i have a start/stop switch, ultrapitch mod, and a transform arcade button and my replacement fader has been ordered. I have also installed a volume adjuster for the USB output, because that was coming into my PC a bit too hot too work with Mixxx DVS. Once adjusted it works well with a Serato CV02.5 Vinyl.

Anyway all these mods were nice challenges and I learned a lot along the way. I have another mod in mind though and I would like to know if it's a viable idea and what you think of it.

I would like to install 2 extra RCA outputs that output a phono level signal to be used with an external pre-amp. To this end I wanted to fit 2 switched RCA sockets to the tonearm wires, so that output to the internal amp is bypassed when the cables are plugged in. I could also fit a ground wire thing to the box, i assume.

Do you think that this mod would be worth it and would a good external amp improve the sound considerably? Am I on the right track to achieving my idea and can you think of a better way to bypass / switch off the internal amp?

thx a lot guys, you are amazing!

edit: i've gone ahead and done it and it works fine. only the output from the cartridge is too loud for the external preamp. i might have to figure out a way too cut 6db off it. maybe a voltage divider ?? i am looking for clues.

Edited by anzbert