Controllers with pads

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

Try retiming a 16 track live drum recording without keyboard and mouse, it definitely has its uses.

Yeah, I'll still be doing this. Any hits that don't land where I want them can be tidied up with the mouse.

My current workflow is:

• Sample into Logic from vinyl
  • Spend ages getting the loop running in time
  • Chop up the audio and nudge any bits that don't fall on the drums
  • Envelope all the audio regions so there's no clipping
  • Mix and arrange
  • Decide that it sounds crap and give up.

It's fucking miserable. It's actually less hassle to make scratch music, which is notoriously fiddly.

Have you tried Ableton Live? It's much easier to do most of that than in Logic IMO, especially looping, chopping, enveloping. Some people really don't get on with it but might be worth a go on the demo to see if you like it.

I have considered it before but there are two things stopping me:

1. Having to learn a new DAW (this would be my third)

2. Buying a new DAW

If time and money weren't an issue I would probably switch.

Holy shit. Not even Bitches With Whips prepared me for that. 

#22 broma

broma
  • Elite Member
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:48 PM

Yeah, that's fair enough man. I actually started on Ableton Live really briefly, then went to Cubase, then Logic, then back to Ableton, at first because I was jamming a lot with mates and Logic was an absolute fucker to have multiple midi controllers across multiple channels, then just found Live so much easier to do what you've listed and more and haven't looked back. Maybe if you're still finding Logic a ball ache in a couple of months fink abaaaaat it ;)

#23 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

Same here; I started on Cubase then went to Logic, on bad advice.

I find Logic quite user unfriendly, I must admit. Version X is an improvement on 9 though, which was really frustrating.

I mostly use it for multi tracking mixes, which is fine. I don't use multiple controllers so that problem shouldn't really affect me.

#24 GNOD

GNOD
  • Elite Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

Have you tried Acid Pro? Features like Ableton, workflow like Cubase

#25 Chris

Chris

A friend to all men. Suspicious of women.

• Elite Member
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

Maschine (as a plug-in in logic possibly too, either all the way through or just for mix) would be another way - it doesnt get much more hands on than maschine when it comes to chopping up beats. I suppose theres also MPC studio/renaissance too. A bit over budget but maschine 2 or mpc studio are pretty low price esp second hand.

Also, exs24 is definitely usable especially when you shortcut some stuff - easier and quicker than audio regions for sure
Dooban - don't be afraid to talk freely... I'm sure nobody here would take the piss.

#26 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

Also, exs24 is definitely usable especially when you shortcut some stuff - easier and quicker than audio regions for sure

Yeah, I have used the EXS24 before. I'll probably go back to that when I get this controller up and running.

#27 snuff

snuff
  • Elite Member
  • 4,454 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

go Maschine....

pathetic

Myspasticspace

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users