Batch Renaming Utility For Windows?

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

I was wondering if any tech savvy members on the board could help me out. To cut a long story short, I'm trying to clear and organise both my MPC 1000 and 2500 hard disk drives and compact flash cards, into a more simpler and organised fashion. I've got loads of drums chopped from breaks that I want to rename, but to name them one by one would take forever.

Has anyone had any previous experience using a batch renaming utility program and could recommend a good free program that compatible with windows 8?

Many thanks :)

Also , the DAW I use reaper is quite good for this too. if you have a whole load of files in a project you can export them to a new folder and add wild cards - such as the track name. When I'm editing samples, I have a blank project set up with track names Kick, Snare etc. You can then add these as a suffix/prefix to the files as your exporting.

Thanks for the link for the program, will download both and see which one I prefer :) Cheers for the tips for reaper as well Mike-L, will try them out too :8

Also , the Reaper download is fully operational - you pay on a conscience basis if you still use it after the trial expires.

Cheers Mike-L, forgot how good Reaper was I've just updated from Verson 3.99 :o. I only stopped using DAW's because I spend more time looking and messing about with VST plugins then making beats :((

Also Mike-L can I pick your brains about the Bulk Rename Utility. For example if I go into my kick drum folder that I've created how do I get the program to descend with numbers? I.e

Kick 0001

Kick 0002

Kick 0003

and so fourth

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry man - totally forgot about this.

In the utility there's a box called 'Numbering'. Set the mode to Suffix. Set the start to 1. To add three leading zeros like in your example, set pad to 4. If the samples are called something other than Kick already , select the name box , change that to 'fixed' and type 'Kick ' into the empty box underneath (make sure to add a space after 'Kick' if you want it separated from the numbers). When everything is set up how you want it , press the big rename button. Hey presto Kick 0001, Kick 0002 etc.

it sounds complicated but you get the feel for it pretty quick. Having said that, I'm using Reaper for most of sample renaming now, because I can incorporate it into the sample editing process more seamlessly.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...